TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone make the trip to "Jay Peak Resort"

Discussion in 'Canada' started by juschilin, Jun 27, 2016.

1. juschilin

juschilin Member

Thinking of heading to Jay Peak this weekend with the family and wanted to know if anyone made the trip recently? Is there any charging stations on site?

Jay Peak
    830 Jay Peak Road
    Jay, Vermont 05859

2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Plug share doesn't show anything there but there are tons around the area including many chademo

3. juschilin

juschilin Member

I stopped in Montreal and charge to 100% at the supercharger then made my way to Jay Peak Resort Water Park. The plan is to simply plug-in via 110v outlet in the parking garage. unfortunately, they do not have any charging stations. So far so good - steep hills going up but i got here with roughly 200km remaining. Currently just over 352km after 24 hrs of charging. This will get me back to Montreal tomorrow before heading to Toronto.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Did you find any charging there? Thinking about a trip there in the winter, even with the Lincoln supercharger, not feasible without finding some kind of destination charging.

5. wolfpet

wolfpet Member

I wrote them a letter last year and they basically said they don't care about EVs and they don't have any plans to accommodate EV owners. I replied that they just lost me as a customer.

• Like x 2
  6. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

LOL WTH. Do they even understand what hospitality means?

7. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

There's a condo owner on site that has a NEMA 14-50. It's normally off, and not listed on PlugShare

Wish the owner would reconsider.

8. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Wrote them also, indicating the same. I'd love to go back, but it would be a little limiting.

• Like x 2
  9. rrva

rrva Member

We stayed at Jay Peak two nights, Dec 28-29, at the beginning of a substantial snowfall. We started with a full battery (255 RM) at Sugarbush, on route 100 south of Stowe, and we got enough added range in 34 hours at Jay Peak to drive to the supercharger in Lincoln NH, with an afternoon skiing stop at Cannon Mtn along the way. The 120v outlets at Jay Peak as noted on PlugShare are in the outdoor covered parking lot at the "Hotel Jay" which is also near the "Tram Haus."

Jay Peak was jammed because people heard about the “best snow in NE” and were streaming in. Actually, it was windy and several lifts were closed, as well as the aerial tram. We had a so-so day of skiing on the 28th, and then had a great evening at the ice rink, waterpark and tram-house restaurant.

We stayed at the Statesman Hotel, which is a far walk to the coverd parking at the Hotel Jay (too far to walk safely in snow, though you can easily ski back to the Hotel Jay after a short ride on the "Taxi Express" chair lift). There is also a periodic shuttle bus service provided by Jay Peak that links the Statesman Hotel to the other properties.

They have outdoor 120v outlets on the light poles in the guest parking lot of the Statesman Hotel, and we got about 2-3 miles of range per hour in very cold weather (15-20 F). The problem we had was exiting the guest parking lot -- Jay Peak did not plow or remove any snow from the guest parking lot for several days, and so it took me 45 minutes to move our MS about 40 yards on essentially flat terrain because of the accumulation and snowdrifts in the guest lot. (I would have parked in the daily lot, but there are no plugs there).

Also, beware that the MS did not respond well to snow accumulation in excess of 4-5 inches, so I was shoveling repeatedly to make meager progress, skidding and blocking others on the parking lot for a while. Presumably this would not have been a problem in the covered parking at the Hotel Jay, but Jay Peak was also having trouble keeping its connecting roads cleared, including access to the condos, while the state roads we encountered after leaving the resort were properly cleared. On the other hand, the shuttle bus service provided by Jay Peak did an excellent job serving all properties and attractions, even with snow and at peak periods.

The SC in Lincoln is close to several restaurants, including a great BBQ place (“Texas Toast”) in a tiny mall just across the access road from the SC -- you can enter via the mall’s back door at the Barber Shop sign.

10. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Do you have a D? Snow tires? Slip start?

• Like x 1
  11. rrva

rrva Member

RWD -- MS85. All season tires, fairly new. I turned off traction control, but that did not help.

12. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

A "D" will easily handle 6"+ of snow with proper snow tires...try the Nokian Hakkas

13. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

I didn't even have wheel slip climbing over 10" of snow, plus the 10" I just pushed off the top of the car. RWD can only do so much.

• Like x 1
  14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You'd be surprised what an RWD will go through with proper snow tires. It won't stop until the wheels lift off the ground. (Happened once!)

The only time I've had trouble with RWD was when I had the crappy sport winter Pirellis that Tesla sold me.

• Helpful x 1
  15. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

The problem in really low traction is that the other set of wheels are additional drag. Like trying to move forward with RWD with the front wheels turned, or just in deep snow. Snow tires can't fix that. If I have to shovel the car out I am unhappy.

16. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Drove this weekend through 6" of unplowed snow in a RWD with no problems whatsoever. With proper snow tires AWD really is unnecessary.

(Ohh and I had a nice frunk full of groceries in the space where the front motor goes!)

• Love x 1
  17. doubeld

doubeld Member

Skidding... all-seasons... winter... ski resorts...
    Please, for the sake of all those behind you and around you INVEST in some winter tires. My goodness, you bought a $80,000 car. Spend a hundred on some proper traction.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

A bigger problem is if your front is stuck in an RWD. When the rear tires spin the car tends to buck sideways. On FWD and AWD cars you can aim the drive wheels to counter this, but there's nothing you can do on a RWD car except have someone outside the car pushing in the other direction...

I've had that problem with my car, but again only with the Pirellis. It's never happened with the XIce3.

19. wolfpet

wolfpet Member

4th winter, no issues with any snow. RWD S85, Hakka R2

• Like x 1
  20. juschilin

juschilin Member

I utilized the 110V outlets in the parking lot when I visited. I'm hoping Jay Peak can rethink getting destination chargers. Would love to visit again but I'm concern about range loss in the winter months.