Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not waiting for dual motor/performance/Ludicrous model 3 to buy a RWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.. I was planning to wait to buy a performance dual motor Model 3 and maybe Ludicrous mode but seeing that deliveries of those won't start until Spring 2018 I am tempted to just buy a loaded Premium RWD Model 3 with upgrade package and Full Self Driving. Money is no object for me (still willing to spend up to $70K+) but the wait kind of is making me think of switching. Is anyone else switching over to buying a RWD Model 3 to shorten the wait? What do you all think I should do? Thanks in advance for any advice for me.

Reactions: Kacey Green
First ones are bigger battery and the 5.1s 0-60. IF dual motors are a little faster, IF luda is available, then it might approach your 90D 0-60 of 4.2s. But not by a lot. I think if you want P90D performance, you're looking at 2019 or 2020.

There is no reason that RWD performance can't be done first but I guess the focus is being shifted toward moderate pricing first rather go all the way to performance pricing first.
I suspect that the "focus" is on doing everything possible to not cannibalize Model X and S sales and to convert Model 3 buyers to purchase a Model X / S....

They could "in theory" make the Model 3 just as fast (or faster) than then X/S given its lighter weight, newer batteries, etc... They have already removed the "spaceship like steering and controls" .... at this point, it is a Tim Cook move to maximize profits. Plain and simple....

I'm fairly sure you'll see the "spaceship like steering and controls" [ originally intended for the Model 3) to be on the Model X or S by Q1 2018 so they can add more profit on those product lines.

So according to Tesla's Model 3 Delivery Estimator.. my Dual Motor AWD Tesla's estimated delivery date would be July to September 2018. If I wanted a Performance or ludicrous model.. it probably would be even later.. but I am not sure. Or, I could get the Premium RWD Model 3 between October to December 2017. I am a Tesla owner who lives in Southern California and waited in line to reserve my Model 3 on March 31 so I am pretty early on the reservations list. I am still not sure if I should wait for dual motor or just get the Premium RWD. I wish Elon would release some specs/prices on the dual motor Model 3 and timelines/prices/prices on the performance and ludicrous models to help me to decide. I get to drive my Model S usually but sometimes have to drive the wife's 2009 basic Subaru Forrester. Any thoughts or comments to help me make my decision?

Hmmm, wait a whole year for around 10 more miles of range, and maybe tenth of a second faster, and pay approx. $5,000 more? I'll take my Model 3 with RWD now.

Check the Model S specs.
Screenshot 2017-07-29 20.32.18.png

Buy the RWD now and get the tax credit. Put down another deposit so that in a year or two you can pickup the performance model. This first batch of cars that still qualify for the tax credit will probably hold their value better once the credit runs out. I doubt you would take a huge loss.

Good point on the tax credit.. might not get the full tax credit if I wait for the dual motor option and even more so for the Performance/Ludicrous options.

Good point on the tax credit.. might not get the full tax credit if I wait for the dual motor option and even more so for the Performance/Ludicrous options.

I am in the same dilemma. I for sure will lose half of the federal incentive if I wait.

I can possibly get the RWD collect the full incentive and when I trade in for the Perfomace version maybe I can collect half the federal incentive.

I was planning on the getting AWD for the occasional snow here in the DC area. The est. delivery time has changed my mind. RWD (long-range) in Apr-Jun '18 (with probably $7500 tax credit), or AWD in Jan-Mar '19 (with minimal or no credit). I'm assuming the AWD will be another $5k meaning holding out will most likely cost ~$12.5k. I'll buy a second set of rims with snow tires and save $10k :) AND I'll get the car MUCH sooner!

I really wanted AWD, just for the way it handles (I drive a Subaru now and love it). I didn't care about any performance or range difference. However, when I learned that AWD would be delayed by almost a year (instead of my estimated ~3 months), guaranteeing a loss of full tax credit, I decided it wasn't worth it. It basically adds almost $4,000 to the still unknown cost of AWD all while preventing me from driving electric for another year.

To ease the disappointment, I'll just try and aim for the first production run since I want the required options anyways. I still have to decide if the larger battery is worth it.

Taking first production here. Even living in New England, 'not missing out on the full tax credit. Plus we have a AWD S if it's really needed - which it normally isn't because I stay home. RWD Teslas are better in the snow than many ICE cars due to the low center of gravity - even with all season tires.

The part of me that wants to move up one-space says wait.

The part of me that wants you to get in on that tax credit says buy!

I live in Colorado and we do get snow here, but I'm rarely driving through any raging blizzards. I do enjoy AWD handling, but it might be fun to whip around a RWD again, it's been years.

Buy the car now. In two years, you'll buy another one that's probably going to be loads better than the first year cars. Lots of new features and toys that won't even make it to the first year AWD release.

My wife (the Boss) says to wait for the dual motor so there it is. I am waiting for the dual motor Model 3. She also wants to wait for them to fix the bugs and to see if there are any other "upgrades" to the Model 3. I guess I will be (occasionally) driving the Subaru for another year.
That's what I was going to say. Especially since you already own an S. But maybe you have to share more than you like. That would be tough going from MS to Suburu on a regular basis. I can see your conundrum.

I'm not waiting, but I'm my own boss.

I live in LA, like you. I had been contemplating AWD for performance boost, like you. My delivery estimate for the First Production models is a month later than yours. My AWD window is the exact same. I do not own a Tesla.

A few things stand out to me:
1. If I wait and end up paying a 4-digit repair bill on my current car between the time I could've gotten my Model 3 and the time I actually do, I'll be pissed.
2. The "July" early part of that AWD delivery window puts it in Q3. If the Model 3 ramp goes as planned, Tesla will likely hit 200,000 cars sold in the US during Q1 2018. If so, the $7500 tax incentive will be cut in half by Q3. It's possible they delay the delivery of their 200,000th car to Q2, meaning we'd be safe, but considering the AWD model would also be a pricier car, I'd rather not risk it.
3. I've been waiting a long time for this car. I slept outside to reserve mine. I'd be lying if I said part of my excitement for and interest in this car "wasn't" an opportunity to drive it before anyone else does. That extra 9 months of waiting is 9 more months I'LL be the jealous one. No thanks.

The thing I'm most concerned about is whether or not the white interior (supposedly available Fall '17) will be available before my production window is up. I'd be bummed to miss out on AWD AND the white interior, but we'll see how the deck unfolds.