Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not waiting for dual motor/performance/Ludicrous model 3 to buy a RWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the math I used to decide on this:

I can get an intro RWD bigger battery model for 49k (not counting costs of other options like paint, EAP, etc since they'd be the same on any AWD/performance version) minus $7500 tax rebate. So $41,500 net.

Guesstimating prices to add:

AWD- $3-4k (Elon said cheaper than the 5k on the S, doubt it'd be WAY cheaper though)

Performance/Lud mode- $5-10k (which is WAY cheaper than on any S)

Plus I'd be looking at losing either $3750 or $5625 as the tax credit is smaller by the time I can get it.

Plus added sales tax on the higher amounts.

Meaning you're looking at between $54,00 at the very low end up to maybe $63,000 high end.

And remember this is BEFORE I add stuff like 5k for EAP, 1k for decent colors, 3k for full auto if you wanna gamble, etc.

And all for what is going to be something like 10% quicker than the cheaper car... because if they made it much quicker than that why would anyone ever buy the cheaper levels of the Model S?

Ditto here. Living in the Dallas area, snow/ice is really a non-issue and my P85+ already has an amazing amount of traction compared to all of my previous RWD higher horsepower cars. Indeed, I noted it tonight to my wife while out to dinner as I nailed it after turning a corner to make the next light. The only time it loses any real traction is from a dead stop with hard throttle, and even then the traction control is pretty mild.

However, it IS possible I'd miss that extra second or so to 60 (aka 25% slower). Still...what's it gonna cost? It will likely end up at $75K for a P version with dual motors and at that price point I doubt I'm pulling the trigger. So like others, the RWD, big battery car with everything but FSD is likely the sweet spot for performance, value, features, etc. What WOULD annoy me is if they introduced an air suspension option later and I missed that!!! Having a spot "too soon" in line might be worse than having one too late....

Honestly if the tax credit was good through end of 2018 I would just wait for dual motor. First year of production is brutal for any new model and probably 2X as hard for Tesla as they are the new kid on the block... look at some of the problems C&D had with their 2015 P85D.

However the tax credit is too good to pass up. I am slated for early 2018 delivery and might try to delay that if they'll let me to May/June. I will get $12,500 in credits so the price of my car which will be nearly "loaded" will be $44,000.

I will drive it for a few years, see how much I like it and then see what I want to do next.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Hi everyone.. I was planning to wait to buy a performance dual motor Model 3 and maybe Ludicrous mode but seeing that deliveries of those won't start until Spring 2018 I am tempted to just buy a loaded Premium RWD Model 3 with upgrade package and Full Self Driving. Money is no object for me (still willing to spend up to $70K+) but the wait kind of is making me think of switching. Is anyone else switching over to buying a RWD Model 3 to shorten the wait? What do you all think I should do? Thanks in advance for any advice for me.

If money is no object why not get Model S? It is far superior

So according to Tesla's Model 3 Delivery Estimator.. my Dual Motor AWD Tesla's estimated delivery date would be July to September 2018. If I wanted a Performance or ludicrous model.. it probably would be even later.. but I am not sure. Or, I could get the Premium RWD Model 3 between October to December 2017. I am a Tesla owner who lives in Southern California and waited in line to reserve my Model 3 on March 31 so I am pretty early on the reservations list. I am still not sure if I should wait for dual motor or just get the Premium RWD. I wish Elon would release some specs/prices on the dual motor Model 3 and timelines/prices/prices on the performance and ludicrous models to help me to decide. I get to drive my Model S usually but sometimes have to drive the wife's 2009 basic Subaru Forrester. Any thoughts or comments to help me make my decision?
Buy the RWD now and reserve another M3. I suspect your at least 2 years away from performance version of M3. I would enjoy whatever model 3 you can get your hands on and take advantage of the tax credit while it's still available. Once you are able to get your performance M3, then you can trade the RWD for performance.

I was told Tesla is working on an 90kw battery option with performance motors (just 2 motors not 3 like the S and X) for the M3 but it will not be an option until late 2019. He also said the 0-60 will be a couple tentha off the 0-60 of the S and X but the 1/4 mile times of the 3 will be improved over the S and X and a range of 400 miles. He also said for the first 2.5 years that Tesla needed to keep options at a minimum to produce as many 3's as possible. I have no idea if the gentleman I spoke with had insider info or not but I want to believe this info to be true.

Reactions: Kacey Green
If money is no object why not get Model S? It is far superior
Well.. I already have a Model S 90D and also the third garage space has built in cabinets so would not fit another model S or X unless we tear out the cabinets. We are keeping our Honda Odyssey minivan in the other slot (until there are electric/ autonomous minivans). Also, I like the smaller size of the Model 3 more than the larger S.

Reactions: smilepak
Hi everyone.. I was planning to wait to buy a performance dual motor Model 3 and maybe Ludicrous mode but seeing that deliveries of those won't start until Spring 2018 I am tempted to just buy a loaded Premium RWD Model 3 with upgrade package and Full Self Driving. Money is no object for me (still willing to spend up to $70K+) but the wait kind of is making me think of switching. Is anyone else switching over to buying a RWD Model 3 to shorten the wait? What do you all think I should do? Thanks in advance for any advice for me.

I'm in the Frozen North, and I'm making the move to a RWD.

Besides.....then I'll be an "owner", and can be that guy who cuts non-owners in line when AWD Performance comes out (if I don't just keep the RWD). Gotta admit....that 310 miles is good for cold weather all on its own.

I'm holding for AWD. But mostly waiting on pricing and first round of improvements. I'm hoping that doesn't loose my place in line and I can order a RWD immediately at that point of the AWD isn't super compelling.

Have a S100D already. Replacing a different car (2006 Acura TL with 157k miles). No need for two large cars.

Last edited:
Well.. I already have a Model S 90D and also the third garage space has built in cabinets so would not fit another model S or X unless we tear out the cabinets. We are keeping our Honda Odyssey minivan in the other slot (until there are electric/ autonomous minivans). Also, I like the smaller size of the Model 3 more than the larger S.

Finally a person that make sense on why they want a Model 3 ahahah. Most just jump on the hype.

I had this same problem with buying my first airplane. Sure I could get the Cessna 180, but for just a little more money I could get the twin engine, that would be more powerful right? Better climb, better altitude. But then my mechanic made it very clear for me. Two engines, twice the likelihood of loosing an engine.

-Randy

Reactions: jgillispie
I'm not going to play the games. The RWD premium is so tempting but I don't want to pay impatient tax. If the performance model doesn't break 3 seconds for a ludicrous mode then I'll likely decide on the LR AWD.

The longer I wait, the more cash I'll save up and likely the built quality of the Model 3 will increase with time and customer feedback.

I could wait and wait and wait - but I'd rather be driving a Model 3 this year.
Regardless of when we get our cars, in a year or two the new one will be better or have some feature that's "worth waiting for".
In three years maybe I'll want to trade up to a Model Y, who knows, but at least I'll have been driving an awesome car.

Reactions: EinSV
I'm not going to play the games. The RWD premium is so tempting but I don't want to pay impatient tax. If the performance model doesn't break 3 seconds for a ludicrous mode then I'll likely decide on the LR AWD.

Do you mean under 3? I'd say there's 0% chance they offer a model 3 that is quicker than a Lud mode P90D.

Even if you mean 3.anything I doubt that too- low 4s at best.

Otherwise why would anyone ever spend $107,500 (base model) on an S100D when they can get a faster 3 for way less money? The swanky rear child seats?

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyNavy01
Do you mean under 3? I'd say there's 0% chance they offer a model 3 that is quicker than a Lud mode P90D.

Otherwise why would anyone ever spend $107,500 (base model) on an S100D when they can get a faster 3 for way less money? The swanky rear child seats?
Yes, I meant to break the 3 second barrier. It was the barrier between insane mode and ludicrous. Elon said there'd be a ludicrous model 3.

Once the Model 3 is fully ramped up there's zero reason to "protect" model S sales. The percentage of the population that can buy a performance Model 3 is much greater than those who can afford a P100D model S and always will be.

I would expect a faster version of the Model 3 would cost more than the S.