Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretted getting a Performance M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this comment! :D

I was behind an RS3 the other day on the A303. It wasn't the brand new generation model, but the previous one, only a couple of years old or so.

Now to anyone who thinks EVs run out of puff at higher speeds... whilst the M3P doesn't have the same supercar slaying advantage it has at lower speeds, it's STILL a fast car. Twice I gave the RS3 a slight head start on the throttle when the traffic cleared in front of us, and both times a started to reel it in. I know he/she was trying too because I could hear that glorious 5-pot turbo singing!

I've also surprised a crutch rocket going up a long slip road onto the motorway. As he went past, he gave me an admiring thumbs up. I've never had that happen before! :D

This is why I love my M3P!

P.S. I don't condone speeding or street racing ;)
I think LR would, in the end, be more or less same :D

I've still been on the fence on M3 LR vs Performance, and dug a bit deeper in the repair/service manuals to see what I'd be getting into...

-Looks like the carbon spoiler is adhered to the trunk via 3M double sided tape, seems pretty chintzy to me especially with all the complaints about the spoiler not molded correctly or not sticking to the trunk correctly. Not my cup of tea. Had it been a solid hard mounted spoiler, I'd say otherwise.

-The Sport/Performance front and rear calipers are both painted Brembos but they use special/specific brake pads that aren't common. Also I looked at the replacement procedure and it is more involved (not impossible) than the base brakes. The base front is a Brembo, base rear is a Mando caliper and these apparently use common pad sizes. The rear Performance 2-piece rotor can be retrofitted onto the base/LR rear brakes to shed about 2-3 lb. per rotor. All of the guys that track their Model 3s seem to recommend aftermarket calipers/rotors/pads anyhow. So the M3P brakes aren't worth much to me.

-The Global 2022 M3P's are the ones with the 3D6 hairpin motor/LG M50 battery, US is still 3D1/NCA but looking at the 1/4 mile times for the Global M3P's for 2022, it's not a huge difference.

-The 20" Uberturbines look nice, but I've been burned in the past with low profile tires and potholes. It'd cost another $3000+ to swap in a set of 18" wheels/tires, or another $1000-$1200 for 245/35R20s on the Uberturbines.

The price delta between the LR and Performance isn't that big. When I placed my order, the delta was $7000 USD. About $61k for the Model 3 LR out the door, and $68k for the Model 3 Performance. They are not inexpensive cars. Even the base Model 3 RWD is $51k out the door. This includes all tax/title/registration/etc.... Now the delta is smaller with the price increase a few weeks ago.

It just seems the M3 LR is less of a prima donna than the M3P.

To put things in perspective, at these price points, I could factory order a 2022/2023 Ford Explorer ST and just tune it to run high 11s in the 1/4 mile like the M3 LRAB. 0-60 would be close. My Fusion Sport and my old 2014 Taurus SHO just with tunes are already faster than a stock Model 3 Long Range. The LRAB would be slightly faster in the 1/4 mile. One person mentioned he supercharged his 2018 Ford F-150 4x4 with the 5.0 Coyote for under $55k, and runs similar 1/4 mile times to the M3P and can tow a boat!

I've still been on the fence on M3 LR vs Performance, and dug a bit deeper in the repair/service manuals to see what I'd be getting into...

-Looks like the carbon spoiler is adhered to the trunk via 3M double sided tape, seems pretty chintzy to me especially with all the complaints about the spoiler not molded correctly or not sticking to the trunk correctly. Not my cup of tea. Had it been a solid hard mounted spoiler, I'd say otherwise.

-The Sport/Performance front and rear calipers are both painted Brembos but they use special/specific brake pads that aren't common. Also I looked at the replacement procedure and it is more involved (not impossible) than the base brakes. The base front is a Brembo, base rear is a Mando caliper and these apparently use common pad sizes. The rear Performance 2-piece rotor can be retrofitted onto the base/LR rear brakes to shed about 2-3 lb. per rotor. All of the guys that track their Model 3s seem to recommend aftermarket calipers/rotors/pads anyhow. So the M3P brakes aren't worth much to me.

-The Global 2022 M3P's are the ones with the 3D6 hairpin motor/LG M50 battery, US is still 3D1/NCA but looking at the 1/4 mile times for the Global M3P's for 2022, it's not a huge difference.

-The 20" Uberturbines look nice, but I've been burned in the past with low profile tires and potholes. It'd cost another $3000+ to swap in a set of 18" wheels/tires, or another $1000-$1200 for 245/35R20s on the Uberturbines.

The price delta between the LR and Performance isn't that big. When I placed my order, the delta was $7000 USD. About $61k for the Model 3 LR out the door, and $68k for the Model 3 Performance. They are not inexpensive cars. Even the base Model 3 RWD is $51k out the door. This includes all tax/title/registration/etc.... Now the delta is smaller with the price increase a few weeks ago.

It just seems the M3 LR is less of a prima donna than the M3P.

To put things in perspective, at these price points, I could factory order a 2022/2023 Ford Explorer ST and just tune it to run high 11s in the 1/4 mile like the M3 LRAB. 0-60 would be close. My Fusion Sport and my old 2014 Taurus SHO just with tunes are already faster than a stock Model 3 Long Range. The LRAB would be slightly faster in the 1/4 mile. One person mentioned he supercharged his 2018 Ford F-150 4x4 with the 5.0 Coyote for under $55k, and runs similar 1/4 mile times to the M3P and can tow a boat!
Is the suspension the same on the M3LR/M3P - I know the P sits a little lower, so that may just be the wheels?

Is the suspension the same on the M3LR/M3P - I know the P sits a little lower, so that may just be the wheels?

From what everyone has said, and even on the Tesla vehicle builder, the M3P and M3LR have the same ride height. I can see the MYLR and MYP having different ride heights. The wheel diameters are pretty much the same among the 235/45R18, 235/40R19, and 235/35R20 configurations.

My Fusion Sport that weighs more than the M3LR/M3P, comes with 235/40R19 and within 1 month of getting the car new, I had two pothole blowouts. I replaced the tire and the very next morning, I popped the same tire but this time bent the wheel. So no thanks on the 19 or 20 inch wheels on the Model 3. If anything, I'd get 245/45R18 for the Model 3 when the time comes. That's actually one of the OEM sizes on the Lincoln MKZ 3.0 AWD, which is the same weight as the Tesla Model Y! About 4300 lb.

Tesla claimed the P had lowered suspension, however during 2021 it was proven that it didn't on at least some of the MIC M3Ps - then Tesla removed all reference so they possibly just started using the same parts to simplify their logistics.

Reactions: HenryT
I thought the M3P also had a higher power inverter (800a)?

When the gap was 10k it was hard to justify, now the gap is much less if you’re thinking of a LR with upgraded alloys Performance boost you may as well look at the P.

I thought the M3P also had a higher power inverter (800a)?

When the gap was 10k it was hard to justify, now the gap is much less if you’re thinking of a LR with upgraded alloys Performance boost you may as well look at the P.

It's $68k out the door for a M3P. The 3D1 rear drive and track mode are about the only worthwhile things to get, and gets you that 0.5 second faster acceleration below 70 mph but it's still a pricey car. 19 and 20 wheels are rubbish if you can't get thicker sidewalls.

Last edited:
The weights are different, if wanting to reduce unsprung weight (and rotating mass) I believe the 18s win in that respect.
The 18s are the way to go. Can't seem to get much thicker sidewalls with the 19s and 20s. If they sold the M3P with Aero wheels or 18s, that's the way to go. The LR is way expensive now as well, $61k out the door when I placed my order 2 weeks ago. So the gap to the M3P is smaller but they are almost over $10k more from last year.

It's $68k out the door for a M3P. The 3D1 rear drive and track mode are about the only worthwhile things to get, and gets you that 0.5 second faster acceleration below 70 mph but it's still a pricey car. 19 and 20 wheels are rubbish if you can't get thicker sidewalls.
You're posting in the UK sub forum and while you're welcome to, prices are different over here which may change the math.

M3P is now £61.5k in the UK and the LR 'only' £4k less. Previously there has been a £10k difference between the LR and P which was very hard to justify.

I placed my reservation right before the $2k USD / £1.6k increase for the M3LR a few weeks ago, so out the door price for a M3LR MSM/Black, no-FSD is $61k USD / £50k and now it's just $2k more. Sounds like it is more expensive in the UK. To put things in perspective from my end at least, at $61k USD, I could buy an Explorer ST and tune it myself to run high 11s in the 1/4, same as a Model 3 LR w/ Accel Boost and still have money to spare... Or I could almost buy 2 base level Mustang GT's for the price of 1 Model 3 Performance here in the US.

I placed my reservation right before the $2k USD / £1.6k increase for the M3LR a few weeks ago, so out the door price for a M3LR MSM/Black, no-FSD is $61k USD / £50k and now it's just $2k more. Sounds like it is more expensive in the UK. To put things in perspective from my end at least, at $61k USD, I could buy an Explorer ST and tune it myself to run high 11s in the 1/4, same as a Model 3 LR w/ Accel Boost and still have money to spare... Or I could almost buy 2 base level Mustang GT's for the price of 1 Model 3 Performance here in the US.
Again, irrelevant really to us in the UK

Reactions: metroplex
Thought I would add my 2p as i've had mine for a few weeks and coming from a 2021 LR with acceleration boost.

I'm soooooo glad i made the switch, on paper there really is not much in it but its the small things that makes a competent quick car become a fun car.

These to me are:-

- The firmer suspension, i'm used to performance cars having firm suspension and this very much firmer than the LR, but on the plus side its far flatter in the twisties and much more confidence giving (its not a million miles away from my BMW M suspecnsion)
- Whilst not a huge fan of P-Zeros they are a far more grippy tire than the Hankooks
- The motors are a fair bit louder, so when you mash the throttle you get a little warp sound rather than the little high pitch whine in the LR
- Love the responsiveness
- With the little cosmetic changes it just looks that little bit more special when amonst a sea of Teslas (and there are a lot around Basingstoke/Reading)
- Was expecting to take a massive hit on energy consumption, currently running around 280w/mi compared to the 256 with the LR, so pleasantly surprised, we'll see what winter brings..
- Wife moans at me even more now, so it must be doing something right

Is it worth the difference? To me absolutely but I totally understand to others this is not worth it.

Thanks to the crazy used prices at the mo and putting an order in a couple of months after getting the LR (securing the lower price), it allowed me to make this move which I couldn't justify originally (difference was £10K in 2021)

BTW my LR is up on the used inventory at nearly £58K, boggles the mind

Last edited:
Thought I would add my 2p as i've had mine for a few weeks and coming from a 2021 LR with acceleration boost.

I'm soooooo glad i made the switch, on paper there really is not much in it but its the small things that makes a competent quick car become a fun car.

These to me are:-

- The firmer suspension, i'm used to performance cars having firm suspension and this very much firmer than the LR, but on the plus side its far flatter in the twisties and much more confidence giving (its not a million miles away from my BMW M suspecnsion)
- Whilst not a huge fan of P-Zeros they are a far more grippy tire than the Hankooks
- The motors are a fair bit louder, so when you mash the throttle you get a little warp sound rather than the little high pitch whine in the LR
- Love the responsiveness
- With the little cosmetic changes it just looks that little bit more special when amonst a sea of Teslas (and there are a lot around Basingstoke/Reading)
- Was expecting to take a massive hit on energy consumption, currently running around 280w/mi compared to the 256 with the LR, so pleasantly surprised, we'll see what winter brings..
- Wife moans at me even more now, so it must be doing something right

Is it worth the difference? To me absolutely but I totally understand to others this is not worth it.

Thanks to the crazy used prices at the mo and putting an order in a couple of months after getting the LR (securing the lower price), it allowed me to make this move which I couldn't justify originally (difference was £10K in 2021)

BTW my LR is up on the used inventory at nearly £58K, boggles the mind
Hope I feel the same on 28th when I collect my M3P. I’d had my LR+AB since March ‘21 but have just got £300 more than I paid for it 18 months and 8k miles ago selling it via Motorway. Ordered my M3P just before the latest price increase but currently once you add AB and 19s to the LR (which I did) there’s just £1k difference here in the UK so imho making it a complete no-brainer now.

Reactions: candida