Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone regretted getting a Performance M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had mine just over one week. I expected it to be fast, and it is but in a totally effortless way. I didn't expect it to ride quite so well as it does. I also didn't expect to see <250Wh/mi energy consumption when just driving steadily, at the same speed as everyone else on the road. With 80.3kWh of usable energy it's achieving the EPA combined range of 315 miles.

The price difference between P and LR has also been halved, so that the P almost makes financial sense! ;)

Range is fine…..did Newcastle to London and back without any trouble
Really? Sorry to be sceptical but I don’t see how you’d get there on a single charge, let alone back.

CBFE62CE-EEE7-4C74-B910-711CF4A71D0E.png

I've had mine just over one week. I expected it to be fast, and it is but in a totally effortless way. I didn't expect it to ride quite so well as it does. I also didn't expect to see <250Wh/mi energy consumption when just driving steadily, at the same speed as everyone else on the road. With 80.3kWh of usable energy it's achieving the EPA combined range of 315 miles.

The price difference between P and LR has also been halved, so that the P almost makes financial sense! ;)
This! - man maths makes sense here, if you were to get the LR plus upgraded wheels that difference would be halved again…you would be an idiot NOT to get the P 😋

Had my P since Sept 2019 with no regrets, but back then the price difference to the LR was only £3500. Unlike with ICE performance cars I have owned I haven’t got used to the acceleration which is still mind bending. I recently drove a 3LR back to back with my P and the acceleration difference was significant.
I’ve recently had the MPP adjustable coil over suspension fitted to my P to improve the handling. It makes a huge difference reducing the role and pitch at the same time as improving the ride. Also the car is about an inch lower which should increase the range.
If I was buying now I would seriously think about getting a 3LR with the EP upgrade, fit the MPP suspension and fit aftermarket forged wheels (19 or 20”) for less unsprung weight and strength. I have just swapped my 18” winter wheels back to the 20” performance ones and the car looks so much better on the latter.

The way the prices are currently, 3 LR makes no sense. P is worth it when you factor in the much better looking 20 wheels alone, before you even consider the improved performance. Take a LR with upgraded wheels, and even more of a no brainer to go P. LR with upgraded wheels and speed boost it madness. If I was looking for a 3, I would go for P now.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
I didn’t say a single charge though. I set off with 30%, had 3 stops on the way down and then a single stop on the way back

I suspect I would have had to make the exact same stops with a LR
Sorry, I was misled... Understandably I think. "Range not a problem... just been to Zimbabwe and back (it took 8 months and I had to charge 243 times, but range wasn't a problem)"😂😂😂😂😂

My first Model-S was performance. After demoing the P to all my mates, which was all done in a month or two :) , I very rarely used Performance mode - was very uncomfortable if I had any passengers and they weren't concentrating and I jumped out onto a roundabout in a tight gap, "because I could". When I traded it in I replaced it with a bog standard MS.

That said my bog standard Model-S 0-60 is 3.7s, M3LR 4.2, MYLR 4.8s,

My Model-S and M3LR both have identical 40-90 time/distance, and in the same distance the MYLR gets to 86 - so a fair bit of the difference is in the launch - impressive as that is I'm far more likely to use overtaking grunt. Not tried M3P nor AB, but I suspect a lot of the difference is in the 0-40.

(MSP (at the time I got my MS) was 2.5s, (now [when they become available RHD] MSP is sub 2s, currently M3P is 3.1s and MYP 3.5s)

I am very happy with my 3LR and not yet pumped for the boost.
I was thinking getting the P and did not like the LR areos. BUT price did not make sense.
Anything that does 4 seconds is seriously fast and did not know at the time the boost was available, would have totally ruled the P out.

7 months on still got the areos on and not even thought of the boost. Its more than fast enough in the street. Track mode why?

As the cost of energy going up I am more than happy keeping the aeros on and I am doing more than 4 miles per kw at 5p a kw I am actually using the car more than my old BMW M2. Dont think the P would use much more w but larger wheels will, and to be honest the areos are not that bad and look great on the red, still not taken them off after 7 months, should do to clean the rims, and the rims look better than the 19 alloy silver ones to me.

As I said well happy with the LR as it is.

I am very happy with my 3LR and not yet pumped for the boost.
I was thinking getting the P and did not like the LR areos. BUT price did not make sense.
Anything that does 4 seconds is seriously fast and did not know at the time the boost was available, would have totally ruled the P out.

7 months on still got the areos on and not even thought of the boost. Its more than fast enough in the street. Track mode why?

As the cost of energy going up I am more than happy keeping the aeros on and I am doing more than 4 miles per kw at 5p a kw I am actually using the car more than my old BMW M2. Dont think the P would use much more w but larger wheels will, and to be honest the areos are not that bad and look great on the red, still not taken them off after 7 months, should do to clean the rims, and the rims look better than the 19 alloy silver ones to me.

As I said well happy with the LR as it is.
Yeah, I thought all that about my LR too...then I put boost on. Now I've just ordered a P. Once you've tasted cream, custard just won't do...

I've done 3,000 miles now in my 2022 M3P and, honestly I wouldn't have missed out on anything in a LR or even a RWD. It's a heart over head decision to own the one with the 3L battery, 3D6 motor and the software to unleash them.

The performance is still ridiculous. I found myself having a little burn up with someone in a Ferrari 360 the other day. My son and daughter love it. My wife less so.

The most impressive thing is the efficiency. I've averaged 277Wh/mi (3.6mi/Wh) and routinely see 4mi/Wh when out on a day-trip. I did a 450 mile highway road-trip and stopped to supercharge at 200 miles with 22% battery remaining. In theory 256 miles range at 70 mph. I expected less.

Least impressive is the harsh low-speed ride. This is odd because at higher speeds the ride is excellent. It just doesn't cope with being driven slowly.

I was also concerned by how much the performance (power) would drop off at lower state of charge of the battery. It does clearly provide a huge thump in the back when 90% charged and hot but feels more linear than I expected all the way down to below 30%. It's not until 13% that the energy bar becomes shorter. The every day, usable power from the 3L is in no way lacking.

No regrets.

Last edited:
At the current prices its a no brainer for extra £5k instead of the boost if you are interested in the P
It was nearly £8K difference in september. My LR in red was 50.5K Vs 58K plus more insurance.

Red LR is listing now at £58.5K vs P £62K

So yes its now near the P price . BUT UK delivery for the LR is March 2023 Vs P at Nov 2022. Does this mean more people happy with LR than the P so demand higher in trade in....
So the P may be the quickest delivery option. If your opting LR with the boost at £1,500 then go for the P as the boost option I cant see it adds much on resale option vs P will have a higher resale.

It was nearly £8K difference in september. My LR in red was 50.5K Vs 58K plus more insurance.

Red LR is listing now at £58.5K vs P £62K

So yes its now near the P price . BUT UK delivery for the LR is March 2023 Vs P at Nov 2022. Does this mean more people happy with LR than the P so demand higher in trade in....
So the P may be the quickest delivery option. If your opting LR with the boost at £1,500 then go for the P as the boost option I cant see it adds much on resale option vs P will have a higher resale.
I thought the price has been £60k for the P for a long time now but I hadn’t been actively checking this, For the insurance I didn’t find much of, if any difference in price between LR/P.