Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone repeated ceramic coating after a few years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine done with Opti-Coat Pro+ in Alexandria (Sydney) over 4½ years ago and have been happy with it. I've noticed when washing the car it's not quite as shiny as I remember it being, though it is still nice.

I'm wondering if anyone has re-done their ceramic coating? And if so:
  1. After how long did you get it done?
  2. Did you use the same treatment as the previous time or try something different, and why?
I assume if I do it again I should get any paint defects dealt with first, I probably have a few small chips and maybe a door ding.

[I searched for existing posts but couldn't find anything that matched well, mods please merge/move as you see fit]

I had the front of my Model S covered in PPF, then they applied a ceramic coating called Opticoat. At the time, 2014, you had to bring it back once a year for a top up. It lasted well until 2019 and I intended to have it redone in early 2020. I had a quote for the reapplication but then March 2020 arrived and we all know what happened then.
I did ask if it had to be recoated with the same product and he said that coatings had improved and he intended to use something else.
Unfortunately my circumstances changed and as I had more time to clean it myself so ended up not going ahead with it.
Generally the ability of the coating to resist dirt adhesion reduces and if you look after it 5 years is about the maximum you will get from the process.

I've been contemplating whether this is a worthwhile exercise too. On my car, it's the area below the door crease that gets covered in most of the muck, that seems to have lost its coating. I also agree, it doesn't have the same shine from when it was new, but it still looks quite good after a wash.

My car is 4.5 years old with 67K on the odometer.

The last time I took it back to the original detailer he said that everything was fine. I was thinking of getting a 2nd opinion.

Thus, I'm keen to hear from others too.

If you have a good coating, you should do a “decontamination” wash of your car once a year to keep that coating performing at the best it can.

Over the months your cars coating gets clogged and needs a decon wash to free up the pores in the coating and it’ll be back to performing better.

Alternatively- I use carpro reset every month to keep it fresh.

• Funny
Reactions: MickyD
I had mine done with Opti-Coat Pro+ in Alexandria (Sydney) over 4½ years ago and have been happy with it. I've noticed when washing the car it's not quite as shiny as I remember it being, though it is still nice.

I'm wondering if anyone has re-done their ceramic coating? And if so:
  1. After how long did you get it done?
  2. Did you use the same treatment as the previous time or try something different, and why?
I assume if I do it again I should get any paint defects dealt with first, I probably have a few small chips and maybe a door ding.

[I searched for existing posts but couldn't find anything that matched well, mods please merge/move as you see fit]
Great question. I"m about to get my first Tesla and will be applying ceramic coating myself to it. How well did it hold up for you over the first few years? Do you think it's worth it when it's all said and done? Did you get PPF as well or just ceramic coating? Thanks.

Great question. I"m about to get my first Tesla and will be applying ceramic coating myself to it. How well did it hold up for you over the first few years? Do you think it's worth it when it's all said and done? Did you get PPF as well or just ceramic coating? Thanks.
It's great in that it makes washing/cleaning easier, and the water beads off nicely.
I'm looking to redo it, so yes I think it's worth it.
No, I did think about doing PPF originally and didn't, and I'm not considering it now either. I do sometimes ponder getting a wrap though for a different look.

Reactions: TheLastDon
It's great in that it makes washing/cleaning easier, and the water beads off nicely.
I'm looking to redo it, so yes I think it's worth it.
No, I did think about doing PPF originally and didn't, and I'm not considering it now either. I do sometimes ponder getting a wrap though for a different look.
Great to hear! I think I'm just going to get the ceramic coating and no PPF. I'm glad to know it works. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: m4rtin

I had exactly the same done 4½ years ago… did we cross paths? 🤣. I noticed Opti-Coat disappeared a couple of years ago though…

Ceramic coating should last 4-5 years. I am still happy with mine although I have noticed recent washes have required a bit more elbow grease to get splattered bugs off for example. When the car was first done, a light wipe would remove everything, easy-as. Water also does not bead on the duco anything like what it used to do.

I remember not long after I first had it done, I put my iPad in its cover on the frunk when I was fiddling with stuff, and it slid down! Slipppppery!

So I am absolutely considering having it redone at the 5 year mark.

I never bothered with PPF and frankly think it’s unnecessary. Despite a decent amount of rural driving, some offroad, and plenty of bug splatter, I have only spied a few small paint chips after washing and I don’t notice them otherwise.

Reactions: m4rtin
I had exactly the same done 4½ years ago… did we cross paths? 🤣. I noticed Opti-Coat disappeared a couple of years ago though…

Ceramic coating should last 4-5 years. I am still happy with mine although I have noticed recent washes have required a bit more elbow grease to get splattered bugs off for example. When the car was first done, a light wipe would remove everything, easy-as. Water also does not bead on the duco anything like what it used to do.
Are you thinking to try a different product? I remember back then there were some other options and people posting that water didn't even bead but just fully rolled off.

Apparently the rent was crazy in Alexandria. They've moved to Arncliffe, and now called ZenAuto. Same guys, excellent operation. Had the new Highland Model 3 done there recently with full paint correction, ceramic coating, and a little bit of PPF (just on the door edges only).

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok and m4rtin
If you have a good coating, you should do a “decontamination” wash of your car once a year to keep that coating performing at the best it can.

Over the months your cars coating gets clogged and needs a decon wash to free up the pores in the coating and it’ll be back to performing better.

Alternatively- I use carpro reset every month to keep it fresh.
Good advice. My car is coated with NXTZEN, I do a decon wash every 6 months, usually around the DST clock changes.

Carpro Reset is an excellent foaming shampoo, I use it weekly, it’s not a decon soap, it definitely my go to for regular maintenance.

For decon I use Gyeon Restart or Carpro Lift.

A good foam cannon is a must, for those in Oz, the go to is MJCC. There are also some great tips for maintaining a coated car.

*Disclaimer* I am in no way affiliated with MJCC, just a happy customer.

Good advice. My car is coated with NXTZEN, I do a decon wash every 6 months, usually around the DST clock changes.

Carpro Reset is an excellent foaming shampoo, I use it weekly, it’s not a decon soap, it definitely my go to for regular maintenance.

A good foam cannon is a must, for those in Oz, the go to is MJCC. There are also some great tips for maintaining a coated car.

That’s a good resource! Thanks for sharing it, I learned heaps!

Reactions: singlespeed

I love the V3 MJJC foam cannon - i have that and use Koch Chemie AF in the cannon and use carpro reset in the bucket with washmits. Coating (Ammo Reflex Pro coating) is performing really well and hasn't lost much of its hydrophobic properties over the last 2-years since coating the car.

@MickyD why'd you laugh at my post lol - I've been a professional detailer for 7+ years