Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone seen the following error related to Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve encountered the “Autopilot terminated due to system error” on occasion, in more than one car, but I didn’t check Service Mode to see what caused it. I assume it‘s “normal” unless it happens frequently, in which case you should get service.

I have a similar autopilot temperature reaching up to 90 degrees:

Bez tytułu (1).png

Bez tytułu (2).png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Onscreen error indicated Autopilot terminated due to system error

Found the following in the service screen.

APS_w130_ECU_Thermal_Issue error occurred 19 times Dec 21 2023

APS_alertSource = TURBOB showing a temp of 80C
I did request service for this issue but the day before the Mobile Tech was scheduled to arrive they indicated the need to bring the car to a service center (not surprising). Since we are on holiday vacation, I choose to cancel the service request and will get the problem looked at when we get home. To my knowledge I never had Autopilot/FSD exit with an onscreen "system error" message on our 2018 Model 3. The version 3 Autopilot board was installed sometime late 2019 on our 2018 Model 3. Our new 2023 Model 3 still has the version 3 Autopilot board but there probably have been some changes to that board? The new Model 3 has the octovalve and heat pump; whereas, the 2018 had neither.

Follows is a long post feel free to ignore it or do with it what you will.

Tesla serviced the car for this AP thermal problem this past Sunday. Since I can monitor how long the car is charging, being driven or parked via the EEVEE app on my smartphone, this is what appeared to happen during the service. They charged the car for around two hours on a level 2 EVSE, worked on it for no more than 30 minutes then performed a 26 mile test drive to verify the problem was corrected. Tesla service indicated they bled the coolant system, topped it off and performed a test drive to verify the problem was rectified. I asked them it this was the normal fix for this problem and if they were monitoring the parameter in question in real-time during the test drive. They responded in the affirmative to both of my questions.

The following is a write up I left in the car that I hope the repair tech took the time to read but who knows.

Tesla Tech

Please read before troubleshooting the AutoPilot problem I am experiencing with the car because AP will always work when enabled for the first time.

I have had this Model 3 since Jun 22 2023 and had a 2018 Model 3 with FSD that was totaled last May. I have used AP/FSD often on both vehicles and have never experienced not being able to enter AP/FSD without having it successfully enter with the few exceptions of not being available for a very short period of time. AP/Adaptive Cruise has worked flawlessly on highway trips with this vehicle; however, on both legs of our Dec 21st/Jan 4th highway trip I experienced the following.

The AP/Cruise function always worked the first time it was enabled on both legs of our last highway trip; however, after around appox 45 minutes enabled, I either get the Red Steering wheel with a take over immediately/onscreen system error when trying to re-enable after changing lanes or a message indicating it is not available. It would not be available again for at least 30 minutes which I assume allows the overtemp situation to clear. On one occasion AP was successfully enabled for some period of time before arriving at a Tesla Supercharger. During that charging session I monitored the Autopilot Temp using the service screen. During that approx 10 minute charging session, the Autopilot temp dropped from around 70C to around 40C. As expected, AP worked when first used after that charging session.

I ASSUME YOU CAN MONITOR THE OVER TEMP PARAMETER IN QUESTION REAL TIME WHILE DRIVING WITH AP ENABLED??

Conclusion from this owners perspective either something in the AP system appears to be overheating or the monitoring system believes something is overheating. Bottom line, AP/Adaptive Cruise Control can only be used for a short period of time before it becomes inaccessible.

End of not to tech.

Hopefully this problem has been rectified but I am slightly dubious that is has. I will not be able to verify this problem has been rectified until I go on another road trip where I drive for several hours. I am also curios why the car never had this problem in the first 8K miles of ownership over six months. The car never had this AP problem even in the 110F temps in Arizona last summer. See note to tech above.

I hope this write up might help someone else with this or similar problem.

Regards

• Informative
What service screen is giving you Autopilot temps? Is that only if you have the heat pump?

Since the holiday update, I'm getting the interior camera error, which disables FSDb. Typically happens around 45mins into a trip. I get the red steering wheel. Yay. It does seem temperature-affected, since I drove to go skiing 2hrs away, and if I don't turn on the heat, when it's 20° outside, FSDb will work the whole way! Yay. Of course, it's cold inside the car; thankfully, I'm dressed to go skiing! Not a practical long-term solution, more just testing the thermal theory. I usually don't get FSDb functionality back until my next drive, once I lose it.

What I did learn is that if I create a secondary driver profile with just EAP, and not FSDb, it will allow me to use EAP just fine. So, it's not a total annoyance, I just go back to EAP as if I wasn't testing FSDb.

Then this might be a bug/feature. If I have FSDb with my primary driver profile, and EAP with my secondary driver profile, Then turn on FSDb, and switch profiles to secondary. FSDb continues to run, but I get adjustable follow distances!

What service screen is giving you Autopilot temps? Is that only if you have the heat pump?

Since the holiday update, I'm getting the interior camera error, which disables FSDb. Typically happens around 45mins into a trip. I get the red steering wheel. Yay. It does seem temperature-affected, since I drove to go skiing 2hrs away, and if I don't turn on the heat, when it's 20° outside, FSDb will work the whole way! Yay. Of course, it's cold inside the car; thankfully, I'm dressed to go skiing! Not a practical long-term solution, more just testing the thermal theory. I usually don't get FSDb functionality back until my next drive, once I lose it.

What I did learn is that if I create a secondary driver profile with just EAP, and not FSDb, it will allow me to use EAP just fine. So, it's not a total annoyance, I just go back to EAP as if I wasn't testing FSDb.

Then this might be a bug/feature. If I have FSDb with my primary driver profile, and EAP with my secondary driver profile, Then turn on FSDb, and switch profiles to secondary. FSDb continues to run, but I get adjustable follow distances!
The service screen that shows the AP temp might only be for the heatpump Model cars, can anyone confirm? I assume the Scan my Tesla app would display the AP temp in question real-time but I have not installed the breakout cable required for SMT yet. Can anyone confirm?

The service screen that shows the AP temp might only be for the heatpump Model cars, can anyone confirm? I assume the Scan my Tesla app would display the AP temp in question real-time but I have not installed the breakout cable required for SMT yet. Can anyone confirm?
Outside of brake temps, I think this is all of the Temp readings I get on SMT:
IMG_1502.jpeg

To get to the service screen that shows the AP temp go to Thermal then coolant. My screen looks like the photo attachments from other posters above.

• Informative
My Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD from 2020 has started to Disengage Autopilot due to system fault as well while using Autopilot on approx 50% of my trips during the last 7 days *).

In the Service menu alerts "APS_w130_ECU_Thermal_Issue" are shown. All alerts having "APS_sw130_currentTemperature = 80".

Is temperature 80 in Fahrenheit or in Celsius?

Even this morning, at 7C (45F) outside temp, before any distance was driven and having the car awake during for a software update, there were already 9 similar alerts visible in the service menu. All within one minute period. No new alerts before of after today as of yet.

I suspect that in these conditons not a real temperature of 80 could be reached. Would you?

A few sidenotes:
- The car is on software version 2024.2.7 since this morning before checking the service menu.
- *) Maybe it is a coincidence that this faulty behavior only started to happen after the car came out of service for an HV battery replacement?

• Informative
Reactions: rcnesneg and KenC
My Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD from 2020 has started to Disengage Autopilot due to system fault as well while using Autopilot on approx 50% of my trips during the last 7 days *).

In the Service menu alerts "APS_w130_ECU_Thermal_Issue" are shown. All alerts having "APS_sw130_currentTemperature = 80".

Is temperature 80 in Fahrenheit or in Celsius?

Even this morning, at 7C (45F) outside temp, before any distance was driven and having the car awake during for a software update, there were already 9 similar alerts visible in the service menu. All within one minute period. No new alerts before of after today as of yet.

I suspect that in these conditons not a real temperature of 80 could be reached. Would you?

A few sidenotes:
- The car is on software version 2024.2.7 since this morning before checking the service menu.
- *) Maybe it is a coincidence that this faulty behavior only started to happen after the car came out of service for an HV battery replacement?
This evening, I drove 100km. I refrained from using Autopilot (I didn't want to upset my wife when disengagement alarme would occur), but I did use TACC (cruise control) for most of the ride. This went without problems. Afterwards, I looked in the Service menu and no alerts whatsoever were reported. Remarkable, because this morning several alerts were reported even without driving.

• Informative
This evening, I drove 100km. I refrained from using Autopilot (I didn't want to upset my wife when disengagement alarme would occur), but I did use TACC (cruise control) for most of the ride. This went without problems. Afterwards, I looked in the Service menu and no alerts whatsoever were reported. Remarkable, because this morning several alerts were reported even without driving.
This afternoon, on my commute back home, no single Autopilot issue occurred whereas last week multiple times " Disengage Autopilot due to system fault" occurred on exaclty the same route. The difference between now and then? Today it was cloudy with occasional light showers, last week it was dry and cloudy. Today I had climate control (A/C Auto) turned on, last week I didn't. So now I suspect climate control is of influence. My Model 3 does not have a heat pump. I don't know if and how Autopilot Processor Secondary is tempature regulated. But the heat pump circulation screenshots posted earlier certainly put me on this track. :)

I had the same issue after the holiday update on "advanced" software updates. During preconditioning the computer would overheat and stop working. I ended up replacing the computer for $2600. It still runs the same temperatures (up to 85°C), but it works fine on the new computer which is on pre-holiday software. The SC made up some BS about dirt making it overheat so I ended up having to pay for it. I am not updating it at all right now but hope to get up to date once they have a good stable release available in a few months.