Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still use the auto homelink garage door opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cbdream99

Apr 8, 2017
DFW
Anyone still use the homelink auto garage opener? I have a 17 MS, it works 99% of the time, though occasionally I have to press the icon to close it. There are several times over the 7+ years of dangerous operation - when I arrived home it didn't open, so I press the icon to open, but when I backed into the garage, it closes the door. I encountered this several times. The first time the door hit the window and retract, just a ding on the glass; second time the lid hit the door and bent the door, no real damage; last week the door hit and smashed/cracked the glass, slight damage to the door. I think I have either stop using it or make sure it fully open and turn back to make sure it is not closing before backing into the garage - the rearview camera cannot tell once it get pass certain point.

It sounds to me like you need to reset "Home" to the position of your car parked inside your home. If you have set Home position to your car parked just outside of the garage, it will close as you back into the garage as you describe, because it thinks you are backing our of your garage from the marked "Home" position. Also, if you use LED garage lights, make sure they are special LED garage lights that do not interfere with the garage door remote operation.

It sounds to me like you need to reset "Home" to the position of your car parked inside your home. If you have set Home position to your car parked just outside of the garage, it will close as you back into the garage as you describe, because it thinks you are backing our of your garage from the marked "Home" position. Also, if you use LED garage lights, make sure they are special LED garage lights that do not interfere with the garage door remote operation.
It works for many many years, only occasionally failure. I don't think any of these are relevant. Home location works fine just 15 mins ago before the crash.

Reactions: DerbyDave
It works for many many years, only occasionally failure. I don't think any of these are relevant. Home location works fine just 15 mins ago before the crash.
Right, but for the times it didn’t work, you’ve suffered damage. Not something I’d ever take a chance on personally vs using the button each time.
Also, do you not have the old skool light beam sensors on the floor that would prevent the door from even coming down since you were still backing up?

Right, but for the times it didn’t work, you’ve suffered damage. Not something I’d ever take a chance on personally vs using the button each time.
Also, do you not have the old skool light beam sensors on the floor that would prevent the door from even coming down since you were still backing up?

Why would it cause damage? Unless someone isn't paying attention, they should be able to stop if they notice the garage door isn't where they want it to be (up or down).

I quit using it when I arrived home and the garage door started closing while my wife was getting something out of the trunk of her car with hatch open directly under the door - luckily the garage door obstruction sensor stopped the door preventing disaster. As side note I moved the sensor up to bumper height ( garage door installers always put them at ground level for safety reasons like a child or pet on the ground under the door ) after finding that the beam went under the car if the tires were not blocking the beam allowing the door to hit the car.

Last edited:
I do have sensor and verified it is working fine, I guess it is the timing, just unfortunately when it is already closed few feet already and I backed into the spot, the sensor is not stopping immediately, by the time the wheel blocked the beam I already in position to be crushed. There is nothing after the rear wheel and the back of the car that is low enough to trigger the beam, it is set at 6" off the ground which is within spec and law (I do have a 1 inch lip though).

Reactions: DerbyDave
I have mine set to auto open on arrival only and then I manually close the door after parking. I've never encountered an issue like this in the last 7.5 years in two different Model S. The only issues I've had is interference from another vehicle in the garage occasionally preventing the door from opening. I have it open when I'm pretty far away, so the signal is kind of weak and can be overpowered by other transmissions from within the garage.

Reactions: cbdream99
I have mine set to auto open on arrival only and then I manually close the door after parking. I've never encountered an issue like this in the last 7.5 years in two different Model S. The only issues I've had is interference from another vehicle in the garage occasionally preventing the door from opening. I have it open when I'm pretty far away, so the signal is kind of weak and can be overpowered by other transmissions from within the garage.
Maybe I should set the same as yours. Auto close only works when you leave at around 25 feet from the garage. It will never auto close when it is parking unless it thinks it is arriving/leaving, since the dumb operation is just a toggle and have no idea of previous state. My colleague has similar scenario, his wife is leaving with non Tesla, he returned home and it toggles the door, almost crushed her car, he stopped using that. I am not sure the newer myQ app (non homelink) is any smarter.

I stopped using it and went back to using just a remote because it was becoming flakey. It used to work well for me but after some time it started to almost send the signal twice or something. It would open the garage then stop or close the garage then stop a foot or so from closed. More effort than it was worth than to just push button and it works than hope that my garage opened/closed correctly 50% the time. Tried adjusting the location but no success.

Same here, no issues for me either, not even the interference issue mentioned above. Opens every time. I don’t use auto close when leaving the house, I close it manually.

Maybe I should set the same as yours. Auto close only works when you leave at around 25 feet from the garage. It will never auto close when it is parking unless it thinks it is arriving/leaving, since the dumb operation is just a toggle and have no idea of previous state. My colleague has similar scenario, his wife is leaving with non Tesla, he returned home and it toggles the door, almost crushed her car, he stopped using that. I am not sure the newer myQ app (non homelink) is any smarter.
I have two MyQ sensors to the one MyQ base station. The sensors allow it and you to know whether the garage door is open, or closed. I also have it set to close the doors at 9PM if any are still open. and it can give alerts if the doors are opened and if they remain open. There is integration for Tesla's, but it is way to expensive for me. The retail cost on Amazon is under $30 for one and under $20 for an added sensor.

I have two MyQ sensors to the one MyQ base station. The sensors allow it and you to know whether the garage door is open, or closed. I also have it set to close the doors at 9PM if any are still open. and it can give alerts if the doors are opened and if they remain open. There is integration for Tesla's, but it is way to expensive for me. The retail cost on Amazon is under $30 for one and under $20 for an added sensor.
Newer Teslas have myQ integration included, but you still have to pay for a myQ subscription to use it.

I have myQ in my opener and I can control it in my phone and watch. I think there are ways to integrate myQ with geofencing app but haven't really dig into it. I think Tesla MyQ integration is only available for newer Tesla.

I've been using it in our 2013 MS85 with 99% success; one time it didn't auto-open after shortly after a software update. The auto-Homelink feature is just that, I wouldn't call it smart as it does not discern whether the garage door is already opened, closed, and whether you want to leave it open or closed. There have been times when we want to back the car out and not toggle the garage door; likewise there are times when I'm cleaning out the garage and the door will be triggered when my wife is pulling up in the Tesla.

What's a bigger issue for us is that the air suspension does not always raise up at our home location enough. We've had maybe 10-15 instances were we either have to tap "very-high" on the MCU or we learned the hardway when the front fascia trim gets scraped going up our driveway.

Reactions: cbdream99