Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tell me what functions now work on a "S" with autopilot-1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct, the 2014 all advertise the AP-1. My question and always was, if I get their used 2014 with AP-1, what will I have missed that maybe in the AP-2 IF he comes though?

As my other option is a new one, with AP-2. But is about $25k more so was wondering what will I get more with the AP-2? Then I need to decide if the difference between the AP-1 and AP-2 is worth the extra $25k. True, is newer etc but I am a low usage driver and the 2014 meets my general needs but the big thing is will the AP-1 not have what I need but the AP-2 will.
So, was wondering if I go the AP-1 route, what will I be missing? If not very much, then I can take another cruise with the $25K.

Dont know what FSD is. "front side something? Like camera's?

Dont know what FSD is. "front side something? Like camera's?

FSD = Full Self Driving

Get the AP1, like everyone else, because FSD is a VERY long ways out. It may never even happen for the AP2 cars.

You miss my point - if the first owner opted for FSD and paid for it would Tesla upgrade my car sometime in the future or am I due a refund for having FSD mis-sold?

I missed your point?! you asked a single question and I provided you with the answer.

Now you are asking a new question. And the answer now is, IF you have a Tesla equipt with AP2 HARDWARE, Tesla WILL provide you with software updates in the future.

He was asking if FSD had already been purchased for his car; FSD buyers have been promised hardware upgrades as needed to attain FSD whenever it gets released. Not just software. That is I assume the only reason to buy FSD in advance, you're pre-paying for the later retrofitting of AP5 hardware or whatever it is that can do FSD.

Contact Tesla to be sure, and check in MyTesla to see if you can still add FSD to your car.

The ad in Tesla USED inventory says "AUTOPILOT-1" and TECH PACKAGE is why I picked it and sold mine. Yes, realize some of the features are not there now but are "promised".
As I said, can get the used one with "autopilot-1 & tech" or a new one with AP-2 at a considerable price, + sales tax.
I realized the AP-1 is, will be inferior to the new AP-2 but no one seems to know what the AP-1 will not have the AP-2 WILL/MAY have..

Forget HARDWARE, I realize AP-1 (FSD??) is there now on the used one already, just not the new software. As the NEW one will have the AP-2 hardware but not he "promised" software and may never have..

SORRY KETCHUP, MISSED YOUR LAST POST. GOT IT, FSD. Am assuming the 2018 IF IT COMES may have FSD and the 2014 Will have "some functions but not FSD due to lack of full hardwae the AP-1 will not have.

But, assuming the software DOES COME FOR BOTH. WHAT will the autopilot capabilities be on the AP-1 (2014) car? the AP-2 (2018) car? They can not be the sames capabilities as THE HARDWARE WILL BE DIFFERENT, less camera's, etc.

Realize the camera's on the 2014 are limited/less than the ones on the 2018. Boils down to software promised.
Yes, the used one from Tesla is suppose to have he AP-1 hardware on it now but less capable. when/if the software comes. But how much less capable than a 2018 AP-2 with software?

So the quesionis I guess. The new software comes. What limied functions will the lessor AP-1 have?

Last edited:
HELPS A LOT. What functions "will/may" have on the AP1 IF the software comes? Got it, no FSD but what functions will be on it? Or missing? ALL I WANT is the self parking, "fetch", "true SUMMONS" (like the advertisement) where it will actually come to me and pick me up because of my walking limitations.
Repeat: would love to have a car that will drop me off at the front door of Whole Foods, then park itself. Then come to me where am standing and "pick me up"

That is what Tesla promised in its commercials. So, will, may the AP-1 be capable?

What functions "will/may" have on the AP1 IF the software comes?
While we can all hope, no one is really expecting additional features to be added to AP1. The features provided now are basically all you'll likely ever have aside from small tweaks. Slightly annoying for those that took delivery of AP1 cars just before AP2 was announced but that's just how it is.

Personally, if going the CPO route, I'd go with AP1 vs spending more for an AP2 car.

As for FSD... It's not gonna happen on a 2014 car and it may not even happen on new AP2 cars without hardware upgrades.

Thanks, too bad as all I want is the parking without me and for it to pick me up at the door. I never want a Tesla to drive itself as I get too big of kick of driving it. If I wanted a "taxi" why buy a Tesla, buy a cheap volt. But every handicap person could benefit from the "parking and retrieve/summons"

Ohh, we here in AZ already have driver-less testers, even without a person. Guess AZ is only state they approved it, I think. Least, don't see anyone behind the wheel.

too bad as all I want is the parking without me and for it to pick me up at the door. I never want a Tesla to drive itself as I get too big of kick of driving it
That's kind of a catch 22 then. In order for a Tesla to be able to pick you up at the door, it's gonna have to be able to drive itself. You won't have to use the self driving mode once you're in the vehicle but the vehicle is gonna have to have that functionality in order for it to leave a parking space and navigate to the door of whatever building you step out of.

If I wanted a "taxi" why buy a Tesla, buy a cheap volt
Nothing wrong with a Volt or Bolt if it suits your needs better.

Ohh, we here in AZ already have driver-less testers
Yep. Testing and availability for purchase are two different things though.

Guess AZ is only state they approved it
Nope. Other states have approved testing of autonomous/driver-less vehicles.

Reactions: bmah
AP1 and AP2 are functionally the same. AP1 was Mobileye technology, used by mercedes and others now. AP2 is Tesla in-house. It's about at parity with AP1, but has many more cameras (3 in front instead of 1, several more on the sides instead of none). Tesla intends to take AP2 to full self drive, but has been catching up to Mobileye so right now they are even. The hardware limits of AP1 are lower, so there is unrealized potential in AP2, but right now it's difficult to tell them apart functionally.

If you bought FSD on an Ap1 car, you'll probably get AP2/3/whatever retrofitted to your car, AP1 almost certainly won't be able to do it on Tesla software and Tesla has no reason to develop for Mobileye.

AP2 still doesn't show cars in the lanes beside you and im sure there are a couple other features AP2 is missing that AP1 has. AP2 has more potential though

You are not alone in thinking those will never be features of AP2. As an AP1 owner, I feel that as soon as AP3 hardware is released, AP2 will be just as much of an orphan as AP1 is now. Those features will never be released on AP2.

<grabs a bucket to put all the "Disagrees" from wishful AP2 owners into>
I'm just laughing remembering the countless similar statements made regarding AP1 and how it would never work as promised with the given hardware.

Yet here we are now with AP1 not ceasing to amaze me every day with its performance.

Only time will tell...

I'm just laughing remembering the countless similar statements made regarding AP1 and how it would never work as promised with the given hardware.

Yet here we are now with AP1 not ceasing to amaze me every day with its performance.

Only time will tell...
Tesla did not implement all of the features listed in the description of AP1. There is no recognition and reacting to stop signs and traffic lights. There is no automatically adjusting speed to match changing speed limit signs. It will not meet you at the curb when you summon it.

But my point is not that AP1 is bad or I have been wronged. My point is that Tesla decides they can do better with different hardware and implements the better hardware, then concentrates development on the better hardware platform and never goes back and delivers on touted features on the old hardware. It happened in AP1, and it will happen with AP2, AP2.5, AP3 and so forth. You pays your money and you takes your chances.