Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tested S/X CHAdeMO Adapter on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conflicting reports. A well known and generally competent San Diego Tesla Model 3 owner (as of 2 days ago) tried two different Chademo stations, none worked. Here’s his partial post to Facebook:

* Chademo charging not supported yet. Tried at Nissan and ABB brand units. Tesla phone support said the 3 doesn't support Chademo yet.

Tried using a new Chademo adapter on the TM3. It did not work. Also, borrowed another Tesla owner’s adapter. Same result. Notice an error message on the touchscreen that stated the Model 3 did not recognize Chademo charging.
Hopefully, a future update will allow the Model 3 to use the adapter for charging at Chademo stations.

FWIW Saratoga has a pretty new CHAdeMO/CCS charger located at the library.

Tried at Caltech where both S and X have successfully charged via Chademo. Got message on Model 3 dashboard saying that Chademo is not yet supported.

Ok...

I have a CHAdeMO adapter that works on my S.

I tried it on two stations that work with my adapter and S.

One is a Nissan/DBT charger that failed with the Model 3 (and caused an error).

The other is a ChargePoint CCS/CHAdeMO Express 200 (like the one in Saratoga Library) (also known as a Tritium Veefil RT worldwide) and the session also failed. No errors popped up on my screen. Since Tesla is charging for Supercharging, need CHAdeMO enabled sooner than later.

Tests conducted the past two days.

Ok...

The other is a ChargePoint CCS/CHAdeMO Express 200 (like the one in Saratoga Library) (also known as a Tritium Veefil RT worldwide) and the session also failed. No errors popped up on my screen. Since Tesla is charging for Supercharging, need CHAdeMO enabled sooner than later.

Tests conducted the past two days.

Was going to try my CHAdeMO adapter soon on our Model 3 but came across this thread first... but I don’t think you’ll be able to get 50kW power as was mentioned upthread once Tesla finally does (hopefully) update the car firmware to support it, because the max battery voltage on the 3 is less than the 400V of the S (right?) and the CHAdeMO adapter is 125A max.

Edit: never mind, it appears the new battery packs on the Model 3 do also go up to 400V max

Last edited:
Ok...

DBT? We don't have those in the US, AFAIK. I assume you're talking about Nissan Quick Charger - CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging for Electric Vehicles.

(I can only guess Quick charging solutions for electric vehicles: the new génération is similar as they do have a similar appearance but I've never seen a Nissan-branded CHAdeMO DC FC in the US w/the 2 columns of 6 buttons each.)

DBT? We don't have those in the US, AFAIK. I assume you're talking about Nissan Quick Charger - CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging for Electric Vehicles.

(I can only guess Quick charging solutions for electric vehicles: the new génération is similar as they do have a similar appearance but I've never seen a Nissan-branded CHAdeMO DC FC in the US w/the 2 columns of 6 buttons each.)

Ok. That one then. It is the “free” Nissan branded ones. I thought DBT built those for Nissan

I can't even get my Model S 90D up to 50 kW on CHAdeMO
The most you will ever get from today's CHAdeMO adapter is 125 amps times your pack voltage. As the pack gets full and the voltage approaches 400VDC, it will start to taper the charge. I don't know what the actual voltage is, but the car will start to taper below 50kW at between 75% and 85% SOC. 45kW max is typical, maybe slightly more on a 85/90/100 kWh pack and less for a 60/70/75 kWh pack. Also, many of the currently installed CHAdeMO chargers don't deliver the full 125 amps either. Some max out at 120 or 110 or even 100 amps. That could be as little as 35kW on a Model S 60.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
45kW max is typical, maybe slightly more on a 85/90/100 kWh pack and less for a 60/70/75 kWh pack.

Well, it would be a LOT less on the 40-60-70-75kWh packs in the Model S/X, since those are 84S packs (354 volts max).

The Model 3 with 75kWh pack is 96S (403 volts max), like it's big brothers. I have no idea how Tesla will handle the 50-55kWh pack. With the 96S configuration, with two modules at 25S, and two modules at 23S, I'd guess that they would just make continue with 96S and use less cells in parallel.

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
The most you will ever get from today's CHAdeMO adapter is 125 amps times your pack voltage. As the pack gets full and the voltage approaches 400VDC, it will start to taper the charge. I don't know what the actual voltage is, but the car will start to taper below 50kW at between 75% and 85% SOC. 45kW max is typical, maybe slightly more on a 85/90/100 kWh pack and less for a 60/70/75 kWh pack. Also, many of the currently installed CHAdeMO chargers don't deliver the full 125 amps either. Some max out at 120 or 110 or even 100 amps. That could be as little as 35kW on a Model S 60.
It is probably the stations then, they advertise 50 kW on the map but I've only seen the screen on the unit show 100 amps car usually 80-98 amps both on my 90D and a brand new 100D

Conflicting reports. A well known and generally competent San Diego Tesla Model 3 owner (as of 2 days ago) tried two different Chademo stations, none worked. Here’s his partial post to Facebook:

* Chademo charging not supported yet. Tried at Nissan and ABB brand units. Tesla phone support said the 3 doesn't support Chademo yet.
Maybe firmware in the Model 3 and/or the Chademo needs to be upgraded. Yes, Chademo firmware can be upgraded. It has to be done by Tesla. Call around your local SC's to find out which ones even know about upgrading Chademo firmware, and then have them tell you how to have them do it. (Many SC's don't know about this.)

Maybe there is a Chademo-Model 3 firmware interaction that needs to only be upgraded on one side, or both side, or at certain sides at certain times. Since Tesla is secretive, good luck finding out when and where! I'm willing to try my Chademo out with anyone's latest firmware Model 3 both pre-Chademo FW upgrade and post-Chademo FW upgrade. We'd have to meet twice, since it will take me a few weeks to arrange for the Chademo FW upgrade after our first meeting. Generally, weekends and rush hour are best for me.

Last edited:
Maybe firmware in the Model 3 and/or the Chademo needs to be upgraded. Yes, Chademo firmware can be upgraded. It has to be done by Tesla. Call around your local SC's to find out which ones even know about upgrading Chademo firmware, and then have them tell you how to have them do it. (Many SC's don't know about this.)

Maybe there is a Chademo-Model 3 firmware interaction that needs to only be upgraded on one side, or both side, or at certain sides at certain times. Since Tesla is secretive, good luck finding out when and where! I'm willing to try my Chademo out with anyone's latest firmware Model 3 both pre-Chademo FW upgrade and post-Chademo FW upgrade. We'd have to meet twice, since it will take me a few weeks to arrange for the Chademo FW upgrade after our first meeting.
My CHAdeMO adapter was delivered last month and upgraded but I don't have a Model 3 to test it on, I do have an invite to configure but that's an expensive hit to take for science

• Funny
Reactions: BerTX
I saw in another thread that before delivery somebody got a list of things not yet working the Model 3 software, but which would be added soon. Chademo charging was one of those things.

I'll believe it when they add the CHAdeMO adapter up on the Model 3 section of Tesla's online shop, like they have it listed for purchase under the S/X charging adapters sections.
Until then my CHAdeMO adapter will sadly sit unused in the trunk of our Model 3.

I'll believe it when they add the CHAdeMO adapter up on the Model 3 section of Tesla's online shop, like they have it listed for purchase under the S/X charging adapters sections.
Until then my CHAdeMO adapter will sadly sit unused in the trunk of our Model 3.

If it's to be believed, presumably they'll add the adapter on the Model 3 section when they roll out the software update that supports it.