Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried active noise cancellation in 2021.40?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a lot of complaints about a 1.0 feature that’s novel and potentially useful. Perhaps give it time to learn, evolve and get new capabilities like flexible tuning.
This would make sense if we could trust Tesla to improve features in a timely manner. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they consider this “done” and leave it as is for months to years.

Reactions: WilliamG
I can't make out any real difference. There is a sensation of a slight pressure change in my ears when turning the ANR on, so I think the speakers are trying to do something to reduce some noises. I do hear a very slight and annoying humming sound on occasion which seems to go away when turning the feature off.
Not impressed so far but further testing is next.

I can't make out any real difference. There is a sensation of a slight pressure change in my ears when turning the ANR on, so I think the speakers are trying to do something to reduce some noises. I do hear a very slight and annoying humming sound on occasion which seems to go away when turning the feature off.
Not impressed so far but further testing is next.
Agreed. I too need to play around with it more on different road surfaces and speeds. My initial impression was disappointing.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I think it works great. I notice a significant reduction in the low hz.
ARNR is only active with windows closed.
ARNR only works for front passengers.
ARNR is only active when it states that it is 'active for the front passengers' (I forget the exact verbage)
Calibration takes approx 1/2 mile of continuous driving.
I have had drives where ARNR didn't attempt to calibrate the whole drive and turning on and off in settings during the drive didn't fix until my next drive.

I think it works great. I notice a significant reduction in the low hz.
ARNR is only active with windows closed.
ARNR only works for front passengers.
ARNR is only active when it states that it is 'active for the front passengers' (I forget the exact verbage)
Calibration takes approx 1/2 mile of continuous driving.
I have had drives where ARNR didn't attempt to calibrate the whole drive and turning on and off in settings during the drive didn't fix until my next drive.
Exactly what we witnessed. Low freq are almost killed. Cut filter in effect which sums up nicely with the foam insert in the wheels and the new suspension.

Agreed. I too need to play around with it more on different road surfaces and speeds. My initial impression was disappointing.
I've tested some more. Again getting strange humming sounds, quite loud actually, on the right side. When I switch the feature they immediately go away. Something is either wrong or there is a fault in the software.

Back to testing..

If you compare over-the-ear noise cancellation headphones (I have Bose), which I'd rate 10/10, to Apple AirPods noise cancellation (8/10), I'd rate Tesla's version 1/10, maybe 2/10. You can tell the difference, but it's awfully subtle. If you don't have it, I wouldn't stress about it. Hopefully software upgrades will improve the performance.
0/10

It is impossible to provide the same experience as on/in ear noise cancellation as for that to work, you have to seal and isolate the ears as completely as possible to have the effect. I did not check/realize that I had ANR installed and active until I thought about it today however not long ago, I was consciously recognizing that the low frequency sound from the snow tires seemed much less. I had attributed it to just break in of new tires but alas, I believe it is the ANR doing what it is intended to do. It is impossible for it to give that 'in a vacuum' experience that on/in ear units do as the loud environment cannot be isolated from the quiet environment in the cabin but I do believe that it calibrates once in motion and I definitely notice less tire noise from the snows.

A quick tutorial on how ANR works using on/in ear headphones for anyone interested. There are microphones on the earphones that sample the environment and then isolate the undesired sound using digital signal processing and creates a 180 degree inverted sound that is electrically opposite to the actual sound and injects the inverted sound into your ears on the 'quiet side' of the headphones through the speakers. This is how the cancelling happens but there has to be a tight seal on the quiet side for maximum effect.

When the actual ambient noise is added to it's electronically generated opposite, it will cancel each other out. The closer to your ear and quieter environment the better. Also, it is only effective on steady noises IE road noise. It will not cancel out other random noise. As Tesla is using the cabin microphones which are in the same environment as the speakers that are emitting the 'counter noise' it will only have a minimum effect.

I think the problem with the feature in the car is that folks expect the same effect you get with on/in ear devices like Bose, Apple or others.

It is impossible to provide the same experience as on/in ear noise cancellation as for that to work, you have to seal and isolate the ears as completely as possible to have the effect. I did not check/realize that I had ANR installed and active until I thought about it today however not long ago, I was consciously recognizing that the low frequency sound from the snow tires seemed much less. I had attributed it to just break in of new tires but alas, I believe it is the ANR doing what it is intended to do. It is impossible for it to give that 'in a vacuum' experience that on/in ear units do as the loud environment cannot be isolated from the quiet environment in the cabin but I do believe that it calibrates once in motion and I definitely notice less tire noise from the snows.

A quick tutorial on how ANR works using on/in ear headphones for anyone interested. There are microphones on the earphones that sample the environment and then isolate the undesired sound using digital signal processing and creates a 180 degree inverted sound that is electrically opposite to the actual sound and injects the inverted sound into your ears on the 'quiet side' of the headphones through the speakers. This is how the cancelling happens but there has to be a tight seal on the quiet side for maximum effect.

When the actual ambient noise is added to it's electronically generated opposite, it will cancel each other out. The closer to your ear and quieter environment the better. Also, it is only effective on steady noises IE road noise. It will not cancel out other random noise. As Tesla is using the cabin microphones which are in the same environment as the speakers that are emitting the 'counter noise' it will only have a minimum effect.

I think the problem with the feature in the car is that folks expect the same effect you get with on/in ear devices like Bose, Apple or others.
How do you think Tesla separates low frequency from the sound system versus external?

Digital Signal Processing - the system is using the hands free mics that are in the seats to sample the ambient cabin noise. The DSP processor can isolate sounds at a selected frequency range and signature and then generate the counter signal ( 180 degree opposite of what it 'hears') and pumps that out of the speakers in the cabin. The DSP is able to sample out steady state noise ( the steady sound of the car on the road via the tires ) and differentiate from the constantly varying audio from the music source. As it is all one computer system in the car, the system would know what the sound source is generating (IE the selected audio source) and differentiate that (IE electronically remove it from the sound signature in the cabin) to know that what is left is external noise.

My Refresh S LR pulled down the update today. I tried it on the road. It's a subtle, but definite improvement, even at 40-50 MPH. Most of the cancellation is in the very low end of the spectrum. It just enhances an already very quiet and comfortable ride. They'll probably be able to improve it with further updates, too.

Now if I could get rid of the rattles in the doors...!

Last edited:
I cannot believe how we Canadians are treated like garbage in terms of software updates. Once again us Canadians do NOT get FSD (yes i paid my $10K), and i dont get ANY of the features others get.

NO Active noise cancelling. Add that to the list of other missing features (no Disney+, no car wash mode). I dont understand why?

View attachment 728704
I have a 2021 Model S Long Range with software 2021.44.6 and it dose not have the active noise cancelling. I am in Texas. The only part of the FSD I have is the highway navigation and the lane changing. I also have a 2018 Model S which I paid for the FSD and it too is limited.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I have a 2021 Model S Long Range with software 2021.44.6 and it dose not have the active noise cancelling. I am in Texas. The only part of the FSD I have is the highway navigation and the lane changing. I also have a 2018 Model S which I paid for the FSD and it too is limited.
Yup, on both 2021.44.5 and 2021.44.6 I did not get ARNR in my Plaid 🤷‍♂️