Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Use the Tesla 4U app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@rawmean Thought I’d share this screenshot. Just happens my car is named Meow 3. Love the widget.

View attachment 367559
That's so funny. Thanks for sharing this.
I figured it's good not to wake the car if it's already asleep when the Widget is shown because the user may go to the Widget screen for different reasons. The user can tap on the sleeping cat to wake the car and see the information for the car and issue commands.

Question/survey:
I'm considering adding a feature to stop charging at a scheduled time. Do you find it useful?

This would not be useful for me however if you could consider adding a stop time for the HVAC that would be great. I know the climate shut off automatically after an hour but thats about 50min more than I need to warm the car up in the mornings, esp when Im (usually) running late. Also would be nice if shutting off the climate reset it back to Auto as opposed to OFF.

...yea, Im a needy lil b... :)

This would not be useful for me however if you could consider adding a stop time for the HVAC that would be great. I know the climate shut off automatically after an hour but thats about 50min more than I need to warm the car up in the mornings, esp when Im (usually) running late. Also would be nice if shutting off the climate reset it back to Auto as opposed to OFF.

...yea, Im a needy lil b... :)
The idea behind climate scheduling in the app has been to warm up the car 10-15 minutes before you expect to get in the car. Once you get in the car, the app does not turn off climate. The one-hour shut-off is for the case that you forget to get in the car (in which case the app also sends you a notification if the climate is on and you are not in the car).

Re stop charge scheduling:
Yeah, I don't think I'll do just a stop charge. My current thinking is to implement a feature that you ask Siri what the start time should be and the app computes the start time which causes the car to reach the charge limit at the desired time. the user then can set the start time in the car.

You should add a notification if the gps location of the car changes when the car is parked.
To do that, one needs to constantly query the position of the car and that will impact the phantom drain. One of my main goals is to not affect phantom drain. Also, if every time the car moves from the parked location, you'll get a notification, you'd be annoyed and turn off notifications.

However, I'm considering a feature which the app issues a notification if you are far from the car and the car is not at home.

To do that, one needs to constantly query the position of the car and that will impact the phantom drain. One of my main goals is to not affect phantom drain. Also, if every time the car moves from the parked location, you'll get a notification, you'd be annoyed and turn off notifications.

However, I'm considering a feature which the app issues a notification if you are far from the car and the car is not at home.
Would be good to know if your car got stolen or towed.

Reactions: f8K37Sq31
Rawmean,

I downloaded the app today to give it a try. I'm on android, Galaxy S8.

I also already submitted a bug report, but I figured I'd contact here as well.

I am unable to get the app to work. It verifies t4u credentials, then verifies tesla credentials, then just clocks with a note stating "loading vehicle".

I've tried a deinstal, reinstall... it will let me change to profile page and if I switch to activity screen it force closes the app.

Rawmean,

I am unable to get the app to work. It verifies t4u credentials, then verifies tesla credentials, then just clocks with a note stating "loading vehicle".

I've tried a deinstal, reinstall... it will let me change to profile page and if I switch to activity screen it force closes the app.
Sorry, I'm not the author of T4U. I was just responding to about the Stats app (an iOS app) questions which someone brought up early on the thread.

Rawmean,

send them a message :
www.tesla-4U.com

I am a data person myself and I would love to have some data on how my car is performing, however, I'm not sure if I would advise that anyone install an app and give the app access to the car from a security perspective. No offense to any developers I know you folks are very security conscious, but we all know that it only takes one hacker to manipulate and gain access to potentially cause some major issues. And it could be as simple as someone showing how they are able to easily find you and follow you without you knowing. The Tesla app is a key to your car, I personally would not recommend sharing that access. But that's just me.

I am a data person myself and I would love to have some data on how my car is performing, however, I'm not sure if I would advise that anyone install an app and give the app access to the car from a security perspective. No offense to any developers I know you folks are very security conscious, but we all know that it only takes one hacker to manipulate and gain access to potentially cause some major issues. And it could be as simple as someone showing how they are able to easily find you and follow you without you knowing. The Tesla app is a key to your car, I personally would not recommend sharing that access. But that's just me.

and how do you do with the tesla app? :) it's exaclty the same thing

True but the Tesla app is controlled by Tesla. They have more immediate access to any security vulnerability information whereas all others simply have the API and no other inside information on what to consider next
That's a fair point and one of the reasons I wrote the Stats app for myself was that I didn't want to share my credentials. you have to read their privacy policy (Stat's privacy policy is in plain language and the link is in the App Store) and make sure that they don't sell your data or share anything with third-party. Another thing to look for is other apps that the developer has in the AppStore / GooglePlay. A credible developer usually has more than just one app.