Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use this Romex 6/3 cable during install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks.

I read through some of NFPA 70 (since it's sitting on my desk) and decided on 6/2 THHN with a 10 gauge ground in flexible conduit. I'll mount the Tesla wall charger outside (not a fan of that but for now that's what I may have to do).

Hey I had an observation that I thought was interesting on this subject, though I'm not out to trigger anybody - just an observation.

My installation is indeed a Romex 6/3, 60 amp breaker, Tesla V3 charger. After I found this thread, I set the limit on the car to 44 amp, which is 80% of the 55 amps that Romex 6/3 is rated for. Frankly, any difference in charge time between 44 amps and 48 amps has been irrelevant to me.

The observation is that whether this charging system is running 44 amps or running 48 amps as it was before, the 18 foot charging cord supplied by Tesla feels warmer to the touch than the Romex 6/3 does. I've sampled both in several places. Is it not appropriate to take from this observation that the Tesla cord is more of a limiting factor than the house wire? Anyway, I'm not advocating for anything, I just thought it was interesting.

Last edited:
The observation is that whether this charging system is running 44 amps or running 48 amps as it was before, the 18 foot charging cord supplied by Tesla feels warmer to the touch than the Romex 6/3 does. I've sampled both in several places. Is it not appropriate to take from this observation that the Tesla cord is more of a limiting factor than the house wire? Anyway, I'm not advocating for anything, I just thought it was interesting.

Exactly the same observation here. The only warm areas are the Tesla charging cable where it bends to plug into the car, and the breaker itself, with the cord being the warmer of the two. No detectable heat anywhere else in the chain.

Tim

Exactly the same observation here. The only warm areas are the Tesla charging cable where it bends to plug into the car, and the breaker itself, with the cord being the warmer of the two. No detectable heat anywhere else in the chain.

Tim
There are two major factors that go into the "ampacity" (a very silly word, but it's what they use) of a wire. One is the gauge of the conductors, which determines how much power they will dissipate for a given current, and thus how warm they will get. The other is the thermal characteristics of the insulation. Nonmetallic B (NM-B) wire has vinyl insulation, and is rated for use at 60°C. The Tesla cable is likely rated to a higher temperature, so it's safe even though it gets warmer.

There are two major factors that go into the "ampacity" (a very silly word, but it's what they use) of a wire. One is the gauge of the conductors, which determines how much power they will dissipate for a given current, and thus how warm they will get. The other is the thermal characteristics of the insulation. Nonmetallic B (NM-B) wire has vinyl insulation, and is rated for use at 60°C. The Tesla cable is likely rated to a higher temperature, so it's safe even though it gets warmer.
What a great answer - thanks. In my case both the Tesla cable and the Romex cable seem well below 60°C / 140°F no matter what the amp limit set point is. Maybe I'll find a temperature gun and run a study, just for fun. It has no applicable value for me, however, as the charge time difference between 44 amps and 48 amps has been immaterial.

What a great answer - thanks. In my case both the Tesla cable and the Romex cable seem well below 60°C / 140°F no matter what the amp limit set point is. Maybe I'll find a temperature gun and run a study, just for fun. It has no applicable value for me, however, as the charge time difference between 44 amps and 48 amps has been immaterial.
Yeah, the actual wire should be waaaay below the limit in normal operation. As Rocky_H pointed out somewhere else recently, the rating is based on being inside a wall surrounded with insulation. Also, the maximum allowable temperature when they figure the ampacity is almost certainly 10 or 20 C below the rating of the material, for reasons of conservatism. Also also, the temperature rating is probably the point at which it starts quickly breaking down or outgassing the plasticizer (for some value of "quickly"). But that type of damage continues to happen at lower temperature, just more slowly. So if the wire is going to last 100 years, you need to stay well below the rated temperature.

I'm definitely guessing about that last detail, but that kind of conservatism in general is how you handle requirements that don't have an obvious threshold.

Ooof, this topic got thick. New Tesla coming soon. Just want to know if I can run 60 amp breaker with this wire 6/2 Copper MC Cable w/ Ground to the new Tesla charger and get the most out of the charger or do I need something else?

Yes. MC cable can use the 90C temperature rating of THHN, so it supports 75A. You may use a 60A breaker or 70A breaker, since 75A breakers are less common.

Why are you choosing MC cable? Do you live in Chicago?

My installation is indeed a Romex 6/3, 60 amp breaker, Tesla V3 charger. After I found this thread, I set the limit on the car to 44 amp, which is 80% of the 55 amps that Romex 6/3 is rated for. Frankly, any difference in charge time between 44 amps and 48 amps has been irrelevant to me.

You may want to change the V3 Wall Connector setting to 50 amp instead of 60 amp. Although this would reduce charge rate a bit to 40 amp, I doubt you will notice it. That way you won't have to lower the rate in your car (not sure if lower rate in car carries to other locations). Also, should another Tesla happen to stop by, you won't have to worry about lowering their rate either.

Not that you are doing it wrong now, just another option.

You may want to change the V3 Wall Connector setting to 50 amp instead of 60 amp. Although this would reduce charge rate a bit to 40 amp, I doubt you will notice it. That way you won't have to lower the rate in your car (not sure if lower rate in car carries to other locations). Also, should another Tesla happen to stop by, you won't have to worry about lowering their rate either.

Not that you are doing it wrong now, just another option.
Thanks. The car is remembering set limits by GPS location, so it's a locational setting not a global setting. Perhaps a future update to the V3 wall charger software would be some additional resolution on the setpoint.

Reactions: mrau
That is only rated for 55 amps. DO NOT put it on a 60 amp breaker. Use a 50 A breaker for this. Your house probably won't burn to the ground if you use a 60 A breaker with wire not rated for 60 A, but is that really a chance you want to take?

If you want to use 6 gauge wire for 60 A, you need to pull THHN or THWN through a conduit.

See Table 310.16 in the National Electrical Code, which you can access for free here.
Yes, use a 50 amp breaker and run it at 80%. I can't imagine you are in such a hurry that you need your car to charge a few minutes faster. Mine charges while I sleep, and I honestly never look at how long it will take to finish charging, which is usually in the wee hours of the morning.