Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using Griddy for electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current electric contract is expiring and currently trying to decide between fixed or time of day plans. I am working on a tool that uses the actual usage from https://www.smartmetertexas.com/ but wanted to run it against griddy too. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get specific details about their plan, so I'm trying to see if there is anyone currently uses griddy that could provide me with some data. I would just need a couple months of usage data (you can download from smartmetertexas) and billing details. In return, I can provide some visualization of your usage like this -
electricity-may.png

Hey dc81. With Griddy you become a member for $9.99/month and get all your electricity at the wholesale rate, passed through straight from the market with no markup.

If you send us your 15-minute interval usage history data from smartmetertexas.com, we can tell you exactly what you would have paid every month for the past year. Just change the start and end dates when you run the Daily Usage (15 min intervals) report. Run it for 05/01/2017 - 04/30/2018. It will take a little while to run, and SMT will email you the report when it's ready. When you get it, forward it to [email protected] and we'll be happy to provide the analysis.

Thanks!

Griddy Energy

Hey dc81. With Griddy you become a member for $9.99/month and get all your electricity at the wholesale rate, passed through straight from the market with no markup.

If you send us your 15-minute interval usage history data from smartmetertexas.com, we can tell you exactly what you would have paid every month for the past year. Just change the start and end dates when you run the Daily Usage (15 min intervals) report. Run it for 05/01/2017 - 04/30/2018. It will take a little while to run, and SMT will email you the report when it's ready. When you get it, forward it to [email protected] and we'll be happy to provide the analysis.

Thanks!

Griddy Energy

Do you guys have net metering yet?

Reactions: ℬête Noire
As a reference point, this month so far on griddy we have used 2520.6kwh with an average price of $0.0331. (plus the usual transmission costs..so likely around/under 8 cents total per kwh).

We are not doing anything special to avoid the peak rate times. Probably not the wisest to switch in the peak of the summer, but when Breeze energy went under last month, we had no choice but to find another power plan. The app does notify you if there is some crazy high rate (somewhat inconsistent on android). They are planning on IFFT/Nest intergration at some point.

Screenshot_20180628-133203_Griddy.jpg

We are also actively looking at solar.

• Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515
@nwdiver
No, we do not offer net metering. But we do pay you the wholesale energy price for your generation up to your usage. Since wholesale prices tend to be the highest when the sun is shining brightest (and the A/Cs are cranking away), you'll be getting credited at the highest-priced times of day.

In general, we've found that if your solar generation accounts for about 75% or less of your total usage, Griddy is the best deal for you. But if you have a particularly large solar system (>75% of your total usage), you'll probably be better off going with one of the other guys who offers net metering.

@nwdiver
No, we do not offer net metering. But we do pay you the wholesale energy price for your generation up to your usage. Since wholesale prices tend to be the highest when the sun is shining brightest (and the A/Cs are cranking away), you'll be getting credited at the highest-priced times of day.

In general, we've found that if your solar generation accounts for about 75% or less of your total usage, Griddy is the best deal for you. But if you have a particularly large solar system (>75% of your total usage), you'll probably be better off going with one of the other guys who offers net metering.

So you'll do buy-back on my surplus solar at wholesale in the moment, but there's no transmission charges (to or from me) going in that direction? Thus not "net metering". This I did not realize Griddy allowed this. I'm somewhere around that 75% mark, so would need to work the numbers closely. I actually put sizable percentage of production back on the grid, so it could get tricky.

I've got full 15 min interval data, consumption and production, via my solar system. What kind of format would you need the data in to work that?

One catch is I only have about a month's worth right now, Centerpoint only let me turn on last month.

I'd actually prefer running my own scenarios based on projected estimates of my solar production and consumption. Having switched to an EV only 6 months ago, and switching over to a 2 EV household coming up, means I have to extrapolate for my consumption, too. If I had a year's worth of 15-interval grid wholesale historical for my area I could work that out myself. Is there somewhere I could get ahold of public data on that?

Last edited:
So you'll do buy-back on my surplus solar at wholesale in the moment, but there's no transmission charges (to or from me) going in that direction? Thus not "net metering". This I did not realize Griddy allowed this. I'm somewhere around that 75% mark, so would need to work the numbers closely. I actually put sizable percentage of production back on the grid, so it could get tricky.

I've got full 15 min interval data, consumption and production, via my solar system. What kind of format would you need the data in to work that?

One catch is I only have about a month's worth right now, Centerpoint only let me turn on last month.

I'd actually prefer running my own scenarios based on projected estimates of my solar production and consumption. Having switched to an EV only 6 months ago, and switching over to a 2 EV household coming up, means I have to extrapolate for my consumption, too. If I had a year's worth of 15-interval grid wholesale historical for my area I could work that out myself. Is there somewhere I could get ahold of public data on that?

Actually, we don't currently buy-back excess generation, only generation up to your usage in that interval. As an example, in a given 15-minute interval, if you had 5 kWh of usage and 4 kWh of generation, we would net that out and only pass through energy and delivery charges for 1 kWh. But if instead you had 5 kWh of usage and 6 kWh of generation, we wouldn't pass through any energy or delivery charges, but currently we also wouldn't be able to credit you for the extra 1 kWh of energy. This is a known issue and is being worked on. We're in the middle of upgrading our platform to make it compatible with other markets outside Texas, and that fix will be part of the upgrade.

You can go to smartmetertexas.com and set up a free account to download your usage data. If you've been at your house for a year or more, you'll be able to get a full year of data. If not, you can try to extrapolate with your own scenarios. Either way, you can send a .csv file to [email protected] and reference this conversation. We'll put together an analysis of what you would have paid over the past year.

Thanks!

@nwdiver

Can you clarify this for me? If I added 60 kW/Hr to the grid in the middle of the day, and the rate was $0.10 kW/hr, I would get credited $6.00?

How do the Centerpoint charges of $0.038711 per kW/Hr get totaled? by monthly net usage?

Can you clarify this for me? If I added 60 kW/Hr to the grid in the middle of the day, and the rate was $0.10 kW/hr, I would get credited $6.00?

How do the Centerpoint charges of $0.038711 per kW/Hr get totaled? by monthly net usage?

Sorry for the delayed response. If you are generating during the day, we are currently only able to credit you up to your usage amount. In other words, if you are consuming 70 kW and generating 60 kW, you'll get full credit for your generation and will only be charged energy and Centerpoint delivery charges for 10 kW. However, if you're consuming 50 kW and generating 60 kW, you would get zero charges but no credits for the excess 10 kW. That is a known issue with our platform and will be fixed with our platform upgrade to credit you the energy-only portion when you're an excess generator. Fortunately, solar generation tends to occur most during the highest-priced times of the day.

To answer your second question, Centerpoint only charges for net consumption in each 15-minute interval. So in the cases above, you would pay for 10 kW of Centerpoint delivery charges in the first example and 0 delivery charges in the second. I hope that helps.

Any news on the net metering? @Griddy Energy

My solar system went live today. Given I live in Houston - credits for power at peak solar for use later in the day is something I'm very interested in. A 15 minute interval is not very useful to offset consumption with generation for our use case.

Any news on the net metering? @Griddy Energy

My solar system went live today. Given I live in Houston - credits for power at peak solar for use later in the day is something I'm very interested in. A 15 minute interval is not very useful to offset consumption with generation for our use case.

JasJ,
What power company did you land on? I see only 3 that provide Net Metering: MP2, Green Mountain, and Reliant...it seems Griddy still does not offer true Net Metering