Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with ev01+ 18” wheels for M3 performance could share their actual added range miles, please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it. Those Prius tires are the entire reason that people think an 86 is easy to drift. No grip, low rolling resistance, etc. (it’s certainly not because an 86 has any balls)
@Sellout I thought the FR-S/BRZ usually comes with Michelin Primacy? Which still aren't performance tires, but hopefully not quite as low-performing as the MXM4!

And LOL at "Prius tires" comment. Yeah the MXM4 are straight up Prius tires. @Tesoso If you would be happy driving a Prius because it's so efficient then get the MXM4. However if you care much about handling and braking...do yourself a favor and get something with a little more performance! You don't have to go for full on 300TW summer performance street tires (though that's what I'm running), you can find your own happy medium between treadwear, efficiency, and performance.

We tried the MXM4 once on our Model S and they worked as advertised - efficient and long lasting. But the driving experience was terrible...would never use them again. Even my wife, who's the one who wanted to try them, ultimately wasn't happy with their numbness and lack of grip.

Reactions: Tesoso
@Sellout I thought the FR-S/BRZ usually comes with Michelin Primacy? Which still aren't performance tires, but hopefully not quite as low-performing as the MXM4!

And LOL at "Prius tires" comment. Yeah the MXM4 are straight up Prius tires. @Tesoso If you would be happy driving a Prius because it's so efficient then get the MXM4. However if you care much about handling and braking...do yourself a favor and get something with a little more performance! You don't have to go for full on 300TW summer performance street tires (though that's what I'm running), you can find your own happy medium between treadwear, efficiency, and performance.

We tried the MXM4 once on our Model S and they worked as advertised - efficient and long lasting. But the driving experience was terrible...would never use them again. Even my wife, who's the one who wanted to try them, ultimately wasn't happy with their numbness and lack of grip.
I thought I remembered them having the Primacy MXM4, but if there’s a Primacy tire other than the MXM4, maybe that’s what they had.. I do remember my friends all chuckling about how the 86 had tires that were optional on a Prius if you wanted summer tires!

I thought I remembered them having the Primacy MXM4, but if there’s a Primacy tire other than the MXM4, maybe that’s what they had.. I do remember my friends all chuckling about how the 86 had tires that were optional on a Prius if you wanted summer tires!
Ah I forgot "Primacy" is a branding Michelin uses on multiple tires. I'm sure your friends were right. 👍

I was mainly and still am looking for the range-iest tires possible, but would the mxm4 affect the acceleration on a P? Then would just going for a long range with Default tires and aero 18” And acceleration boost be better? When I test drove a performance with 18” aero wheels (somehow) The acceleration felt much faster... not sure what the case is though for this. I imagine it still should with any tire I suppose

I was mainly and still am looking for the range-iest tires possible, but would the mxm4 affect the acceleration on a P? Then would just going for a long range with Default tires and aero 18” And acceleration boost be better? When I test drove a performance with 18” aero wheels (somehow) The acceleration felt much faster... not sure what the case is though for this. I imagine it still should with any tire I suppose
@Tesoso I don't think the MXM4 would be limiting for M3P acceleration in the dry. Can't say for sure but my guess is not an issue. The dual motor setup has good straight line traction. MXM4 could be limiting in the wet, maybe. They especially didn't grip well or feel good in the wet on my P85.

Now on my P85 yes the MXM4 were very limiting for low speed acceleration (even in the dry), but that's a RWD car (and open diff like all Teslas). It needs good summer performance tires to put the power down at very low speeds.

As for acceleration feel, I agree the M3P pulls a lot harder than M3LR at low speeds or from a stop. The difference is very obvious. I haven't driven a car with AB to make that comparison, on paper AB should split the difference I think.

On the other hand at highway speeds there's basically no difference between LR vs P. It's only low speeds where the P puts out extra power.

@Tesoso I don't think the MXM4 would be limiting for M3P acceleration in the dry. Can't say for sure but my guess is not an issue. The dual motor setup has good straight line traction. MXM4 could be limiting in the wet, maybe. They especially didn't grip well or feel good in the wet on my P85.

Now on my P85 yes the MXM4 were very limiting for low speed acceleration (even in the dry), but that's a RWD car (and open diff like all Teslas). It needs good summer performance tires to put the power down at very low speeds.

As for acceleration feel, I agree the M3P pulls a lot harder than M3LR at low speeds or from a stop. The difference is very obvious. I haven't driven a car with AB to make that comparison, on paper AB should split the difference I think.

On the other hand at highway speeds there's basically no difference between LR vs P. It's only low speeds where the P puts out extra power.
I’d have to use chill mode all the time with the P which I wouldn’t mind, just knowing I can let loose is ok with me. Highway speeds do not matter at all like you say in terms of acceleration. From like even 30 or 40-60 there is no difference between the two trims I think just that 0-30 maybe the “most.” but top speed is 160ish P vs the 145 LR is the only other different thing on the road I can think of But I don’t know if I personally would be able to get that fast much frequently

I’d have to use chill mode all the time with the P which I wouldn’t mind, just knowing I can let loose is ok with me. Highway speeds do not matter at all like you say in terms of acceleration. From like even 30 or 40-60 there is no difference between the two trims I think just that 0-30 maybe the “most.” but top speed is 160ish P vs the 145 LR is the only other different thing on the road I can think of But I don’t know if I personally would be able to get that fast much frequently
@Tesoso To be honest the P sounds like a poor value for you compared to LR AWD (with or without AB). But if the extra money for a P isn't a big deal then by all means get one anyways, "you only live once" as they say. :) I'm very glad I got the P but I do use its capabilities regularly.

Reactions: Sellout and Tesoso
@Tesoso To be honest the P sounds like a poor value for you compared to LR AWD (with or without AB). But if the extra money for a P isn't a big deal then by all means get one anyways, "you only live once" as they say. :) I'm very glad I got the P but I do use its capabilities regularly.
the thing is I have this predicament between a P and LR coming in that I need to see. However, the LR has almost 30k miles and P having 15k, so I’m very curious to see what the charging menu says about the max retention of charge they have. The P has 20” wheels and 18” with LR but I wonder if both cars will end up having same mileage retention. the p having 20” wheels and An lr with 30k miles degradation ending up in Maybe similar max battery retention. And their price points are very close by a thousand or two so I was lesning towards the P anyway since I wavered in the past and because this may have less battery degradation but then the wheels might end up making it close to the Lr or barely. Sorry for being repetitive and rambley hahah but this is my situation. I feel like I’ll know instantly when I see the cars very soon. Thanks for your responses!

Reactions: tm1v2

I've been a car enthusiast for a long time, drag racing in Mustangs and WRXes, years of autocrossing pretty competitively and even a trip to nationals. I have *no* problem daily driving on prius tires. If anything it is more fun because you can slide around a little at speeds that are closer to responsible, rather than having to be a complete menace to the world to get to the edge of adhesion.

I've been a car enthusiast for a long time, drag racing in Mustangs and WRXes, years of autocrossing pretty competitively and even a trip to nationals. I have *no* problem daily driving on prius tires. If anything it is more fun because you can slide around a little at speeds that are closer to responsible, rather than having to be a complete menace to the world to get to the edge of adhesion.
I can list my resume too but it doesn't matter, MXM4's on this car are flat out scary both in lateral grip and braking performance, driving a slow car fast being fun applies to slow cars, not crappy tires. JMO of course.

the thing is I have this predicament between a P and LR coming in that I need to see. However, the LR has almost 30k miles and P having 15k, so I’m very curious to see what the charging menu says about the max retention of charge they have. The P has 20” wheels and 18” with LR but I wonder if both cars will end up having same mileage retention. the p having 20” wheels and An lr with 30k miles degradation ending up in Maybe similar max battery retention. And their price points are very close by a thousand or two so I was lesning towards the P anyway since I wavered in the past and because this may have less battery degradation but then the wheels might end up making it close to the Lr or barely. Sorry for being repetitive and rambley hahah but this is my situation. I feel like I’ll know instantly when I see the cars very soon. Thanks for your responses!
From what I've seen this is a pretty common line of thinking. (That the estimated range on the display can give you an estimate of battery health)

It's really not an accurate way of thinking though. We don't get to see the health of the battery in the display. What we see is what the range might be given our current usage and no more. Of course you can have the owner show you charging stats for the last month if you're buying from the owner, but you'd have to call Tesla I think, (anyone ever done that? not sure if they'll give you information on a car that isn't yours..) to get an idea what the battery's current health looks like.. I've read a fair amount about lithium batteries, what to do and what not to do, etc. You really don't have too much to worry about buying a used Tesla, but I wouldn't expand that to other EVs based on Tesla's case. Anyone paying attention can see that an early Leaf, for example, might not be worth paying for no matter how great the deal might sound. Sure you could get burned buying a car that's had nothing but V3 supercharging for most of its life, but that's pretty unlikely.

I would caution you to be sure you want the car that you're buying before you spend the money though. I have OFTEN thought that I shouldn't have bought my P3D and would have been happier in a LR AWD. Mostly because all I want to do with it is commute and take road trips. It's a comfortable, quiet, enjoyable car to drive on the road and I couldn't care less how quickly it gets to 60. I don't use that power very often and HATE the accelerator pedal options we have in the performance model. I've even considered that I might be happier if I had taken the lowest price 3 available and used the savings to buy another E9x M3 for a second/weekend car.

Although, if I had ventilated seats, a linear accelerator pedal and dampers that aren't hitting the bumpstops under normal operation I might not think there's anything else out there worth spending money for. It wouldn't take much to solve everything I complain about, I think...

Reactions: DFW_MVP and Tesoso
From what I've seen this is a pretty common line of thinking. (That the estimated range on the display can give you an estimate of battery health)

It's really not an accurate way of thinking though. We don't get to see the health of the battery in the display. What we see is what the range might be given our current usage and no more. Of course you can have the owner show you charging stats for the last month if you're buying from the owner, but you'd have to call Tesla I think, (anyone ever done that? not sure if they'll give you information on a car that isn't yours..) to get an idea what the battery's current health looks like.. I've read a fair amount about lithium batteries, what to do and what not to do, etc. You really don't have too much to worry about buying a used Tesla, but I wouldn't expand that to other EVs based on Tesla's case. Anyone paying attention can see that an early Leaf, for example, might not be worth paying for no matter how great the deal might sound. Sure you could get burned buying a car that's had nothing but V3 supercharging for most of its life, but that's pretty unlikely.

I would caution you to be sure you want the car that you're buying before you spend the money though. I have OFTEN thought that I shouldn't have bought my P3D and would have been happier in a LR AWD. Mostly because all I want to do with it is commute and take road trips. It's a comfortable, quiet, enjoyable car to drive on the road and I couldn't care less how quickly it gets to 60. I don't use that power very often and HATE the accelerator pedal options we have in the performance model. I've even considered that I might be happier if I had taken the lowest price 3 available and used the savings to buy another E9x M3 for a second/weekend car.

Although, if I had ventilated seats, a linear accelerator pedal and dampers that aren't hitting the bumpstops under normal operation I might not think there's anything else out there worth spending money for. It wouldn't take much to solve everything I complain about, I think...
I agree about the screen not telling the exact retention and I would end up having to use my test driving time with them so I would quickly have to see on the trip menu instead how many miles per Kwh I get by manually tracking my distance. For a Lr I was able to drive I got exactly doubled the value of the percentage I used e.g. 20%=40/45 miles. Great. On my standard plus I had I got a pretty bad 20%=30-35 miles. Can’t say if that’s normal but was not cutting it for me. Hope this LR is the same as the first that I tried. It was a shame to let that go. I messed up haha, I felt like it was too much for me but now I know to aggressively decide on what I want and not back out and to become a Tesla owner. >; )

Last edited:
Reactions: Sellout
Does anyone have insights into the best "happy medium" tire between performance, comfort and lower rolling resistance? Would something like the Continental PureContact LS perform better than the MXM4s?

I went from the OEM PS4S to 19" wheels and DWS06 Plus on my M3P and noticed a minor decrease in performance, but nothing substantial although these tires are awfully loud. I am now looking to get the 18" EV01+ and not sure what tire to put on it, want to maximize range and comfort while still maintaining some performance. Been looking into the Pilot sport all seasons, but not sure how much more efficient those are compared to PS4S.

Does anyone have insights into the best "happy medium" tire between performance, comfort and lower rolling resistance? Would something like the Continental PureContact LS perform better than the MXM4s?

I went from the OEM PS4S to 19" wheels and DWS06 Plus on my M3P and noticed a minor decrease in performance, but nothing substantial although these tires are awfully loud. I am now looking to get the 18" EV01+ and not sure what tire to put on it, want to maximize range and comfort while still maintaining some performance. Been looking into the Pilot sport all seasons, but not sure how much more efficient those are compared to PS4S.
I have no complaints about the Michelin PS4 on my EV01+ 18s aside from feeling like I’d be happier with the performance of the PS4S if it manages to have better grip while also being nice and quiet.

Reactions: SirLaz and Tesoso
Does anyone have insights into the best "happy medium" tire between performance, comfort and lower rolling resistance?
@SirLaz I think - just a guess, not experience - the new EV-specific tires coming out lately might balance these attributes especially well. Unfortunately sizing and early availability seems to be super limited, e.g. at least one (I forget which) was Model Y sizing only last I checked.

Would something like the Continental PureContact LS perform better than the MXM4s?
I believe those Contis would perform better than the MXM4, we have a similar Conti model (not the LS exactly though) on our S right now and they definitely perform better + feel better dry and wet than the MXM4. However I don't know how the efficiency of the LS would compare. Also the Contis we have on now are *not* Tesla-spec, so no foam liner, and they are noisier than Tesla-spec foam lined MXM4. (How much of the noise difference is due to the foam liner I don't know, mentioning it just in case.)

Btw by "comfort" do you just mean noise level while cruising, or do you specifically want somewhat softer, mushier sidewalls to provide extra smoothness? The best way to balance ride comfort vs performance + feel is to use smaller diameter wheels with good street performance tires. For sure you can also get extra smoothness from a mushier feeling tire but that comes at the expense of dry+wet handling. (An extreme example is how snow tires feel on dry pavement.)

On a Model 3 18" wheels with good max performance tires like Bridgestone Potenza Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S will give you the best balance of performance + ride smoothness. When I switched from my M3P's OE 235/35R20 PZ4 setup to 245/45R18 Potenza Sport I didn't lose *any* steering response at all that I could tell (with 100% stock suspension and bushings - maybe with racecar stiff suspension you could tell more difference). The Potenza Sport sidewalls feel very sturdy compared to MXM4 or similar. For sure many tires would ride even smoother than these Potenza Sports, including the MXM4, but I still gained a lot of smoothness just from the taller sidewalls (plus these also grip much better dry and wet than the OE PZ4, and they squeal less in hard driving). So for me this is a great balance. The only sacrifice is smaller wheels are less stylish.

Now I wouldn't recommend the Potenza Sport for you, it doesn't sound like you have any need for an aggressive performance tire, might as well get something with longer tread life if nothing else. But the basic point is that a good performance-minded tire can still feel good and responsive with taller sidewalls, while riding perfectly fine too thanks to the sidewall height. As you go larger diameter wheels / shorter sidewalls that's when you might feel like you want a squishier, more numb-feeling tire to compensate, and what you'll actually achieve is worse handling + worse ride than having smaller diameter wheels with taller sidewall performance-minded tires.

All that said I think 19" wheels are perfectly fine on this car, as a balance of style and practicality. But if you feel like your 19" tires still aren't compliant enough, I would suggest going to 18" wheels rather than extra squishy tires.

Ehh I'm with @SK360. Friends don't let friends drive MXM4's.

My wife was the one who wanted to try them because the S kept eating the "max performance" category tires I would put on it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But in the end she was glad to be done with the MXM4.

The next tires were (are) just some random Conti all-seasons a local shop had in stock (no not DWS series) and even they grip & feel much better dry and wet than the MXM4. My wife noticed immediately and commented that the car felt better, gave her more confidence in the twisties. (She doesn't attack the twisties like me, she's not into that sort of driving at all, but our regular driving takes us through lots of them like it or not. :) And ever since getting a Tesla she doesn't like to drive slow either...)