Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone would be kind enough to recommend a swivel for the screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a good swivel? Solidly made? I'm trying to avoid spending $250, but also not getting vibration or unrequested swivel action. Thank you for taking the time to look that up for me.

Pretty much all of the ones except from Tech-Forum are all the same Chinese factory. For what it's worth, my Abstract Ocean unit doesn't cause any unnecessary vibrations, until it did. It comes from the plastic trim.

I have a Tech-Forum Atlas Mount on the way to replace it. Pricey, but a hand built product by an engineer, which obviously includes direct QC of every single unit.

Reactions: Dr_Kyashi
I got mine from aliexpress for $60. It's literally the same swivel as the *sugar* everyone else is selling. Same packaging, same design. Only one factory makes these and the amerikkkkkkkkan resellers are ripping you all off by marking them up to $200-300

All,
One of the complaints about the Tech Forum swivel is that it lowers the infotainment screen a quarter an inch. Is there a new technology swivel that will raise the screen? I am not talking about the RPM swivel. A swivel so that you do not have to look down. Thank you .

If doing this I'd opt for the REAL DEAL - Tech Forum's swivel mount - Updated version kit! Model Y SWIVELING screen mount kit (right or left hand drive)!

And made in the USA.
This thing is literally a copy of the V1 version of China's swivel mount - only left and right 30 degrees. And China is on V3 now with the ability to swivel in any direction -up down, left right - of 40 degrees.

Hilarious how anyone would buy a cheap and inferior copy simply because it's "made in amerikkka"...for 6 times the price

This thing is literally a copy of the V1 version of China's swivel mount - only left and right 30 degrees. And China is on V3 now with the ability to swivel in any direction -up down, left right - of 40 degrees.

Hilarious how anyone would buy a cheap and inferior copy simply because it's "made in amerikkka"...for 6 times the price
Sorry, but this response is just completely wrong - I guess I could say "literally" wrong if that helps. I wasn't going to respond based on the P's desire for a low-cost option which is fine, but I can't let your misplaced ridicule stand uncorrected.

If there's any copying going on it's the other way around. The Tech Forum mounts were first on the market, are designed from scratch with care, and yes USA manufactured by a small business All this is documented in extensive YouTube videos . He patiently explains issues regarding the axis of rotation, the materials selected etc.

Your comment about "only left and right" swivel is also wrong, I have the Atlas model mount that swivels and tilts, again with properly designed rotation axis to maximize the viewability in whatever chosen position.

I see that recently, he started offering an Atlas Plus mount that positions the screen slightly higher and more outward and therefore swivels even more left/right. Not sure if I'll buy the upgrade kit for that as I'm pretty happy with mine as-is

The only area that I can think of, where there may be some advantage to the Chinese products, is that some of them provide a nicer molded and color-matched shroud for the mechanism. I have the Tech Form original fabric/Velcro style shroud and it's okay for me, because it sits down there behind the screen, you can only see it if you deliberately peer down there while leaning over the windshield from outside. He has since created a plastic shroud, but it's still not as elegant. Again not much of an issue in real use but I'm trying to be as honest as possible. People have commented positively on my swivel screen but no one ever noticed what's down there behind it. However IMO it could probably still use more work for the best cosmetics.

No they are not as cheap as AliExpress Chinese mounts, but I'll go with the original for all good reasons. Again, it's fine if the OP or if you don't choose to buy them, but don't misrepresent the product or the original inventor like that.

JHCCAZ,
Thank you for your comments regarding the Atlas Plus. I had a question about a swivel that would raise the infotainment screen. It reads as if the Tech Forum Atlas Plus swivel would meet that need.
You're welcome. To be clear, I have the Atlas and not the Atlas Plus. In his videos(Tech Forum on YouTube), he says he will offer a Plus conversion kit but I haven't decided whether to pursue that.

In his description of Atlas Plus, he says that it does sit higher but still a bit lower than the fixed OEM screen. It also moves the left/right pivot point a bit outwards and to the right. The effect of this is that the screen can now pivot more towards the driver before being limited by the left edge nearly touching the dash. I gather that his main goal in all this is to make (almost) the entire screen area reachable by a typical driver, when his elbow is still resting on the center console armrest. He also feels that the Plus model is most helpful for Model Y installations, although he himself uses it on his Model 3.

Reactions: Pacernow
I just bought the Atlas and was debating whether or not to get the new Plus. It seems like the Plus would cover up more of the phone charger area since it pushes the screen further out from the dash. If anyone has installed the new Plus, would you be able to comment that?

I just bought the Atlas and was debating whether or not to get the new Plus. It seems like the Plus would cover up more of the phone charger area since it pushes the screen further out from the dash. If anyone has installed the new Plus, would you be able to comment that?
I was thinking the same thing. and that's probably true when the screen is not swiveled. But it may not be true when the screen is rotated fully towards the driver, as the shifted pivot point enables a steeper angle.

I'll note also that when i first installed the Atlas, I was concerned about the blocked view of the upper half of the phone display when the Tesla screen is tilted. But after a while I realized that the phone typically times out anyway, and for other reasons it's unimportant/unsafe to be looking at it, so I stopped worrying about it.

Reactions: Pacernow
All,
Recently had the Tech Forum Atlas Plus swivel installed in our 21 MY LR. This swivel does lower the screen a little, but you can adjust the tilt and reduce some of the loss. I have the infotainment screen turned as far as it can go towards the driver and tilted at an upwards angle. Very short reach to change the music. Also, had the Hansshow Ultra Mini Display installed. The Atlas Plus swivel and Ultra Mini Display makes a good combination.