Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything better then pilot sport 4s tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
let people run whatever psi they like. There’s no science to it. More psi = stiffer and less = softer. The only nag is tesla warns are 36 but other than that….enjoy the ride
A lot of people have no idea what and why they do. Like this case. Whole forum is partially serves the purpose to fix some of those issues.

Tire pressure has different purposes - damping, grip, suspension frequency, wear, energy waste. But it's important to know that wider tire needs lower pressure to act closer to more narrow one.

40 and 45 psi is not a good pressure for longevity or grip. If tire is undersized (like Model 3 stock tire) it will have high stock pressure.

But if you go wider you have an option to come closer to what average passenger car tire was designed for - 32-34 psi. Running 45 cold means going above 50 psi limit hot. And it's not good for anything. It's grossly underdamped, will die faster from rupture, has bad grip, would wear faster and I very much doubt it can improve any turn-in reaction since patch size is smaller. So I ask - why. And if answer "spec" - it's incorrect.

A lot of people have no idea what and why they do. Like this case. Whole forum is partially serves the purpose to fix some of those issues.

Tire pressure has different purposes - damping, grip, suspension frequency, wear, energy waste. But it's important to know that wider tire needs lower pressure to act closer to more narrow one.

40 and 45 psi is not a good pressure for longevity or grip. If tire is undersized (like Model 3 stock tire) it will have high stock pressure.

But if you go wider you have an option to come closer to what average passenger car tire was designed for - 32-34 psi. Running 45 cold means going above 50 psi limit hot. And it's not good for anything. It's grossly underdamped, will die faster from rupture, has bad grip, would wear faster and I very much doubt it can improve any turn-in reaction since patch size is smaller. So I ask - why. And if answer "spec" - it's incorrect.
Fair response. Sidewall tire pressure cold is 50psi max. So yes when the tires heat up it will run above that (which is ok bc the manufacturer has buffered it in). Does it create different issues? Absolutely as you mentioned.
Pretty easy to avoid, just hit the 're-learn' button.
Too lazy but that brings up a hood point. Anyone know if the new Bluetooth tpms gives warnings? If so what psi?

Would you all still pick the P4s when compared to the Pilot Sport EV?
Yes. Not sure if they are available to the public yet, but Michelin released the successor to the PS4S. I believe it is called the Pilot Sport S 5 (not to be confused with the Pilot Sport 5, they changed the naming structure of the tires for some reason)

Yes. Not sure if they are available to the public yet, but Michelin released the successor to the PS4S. I believe it is called the Pilot Sport S 5 (not to be confused with the Pilot Sport 5, they changed the naming structure of the tires for some reason)
From the news we have been seeing on the Pilot Sport S 5, these are replacing the Pilot Sport 4S for Michelin OE vehicles for now and in limited sizes.
If following the trend of previous releases, eventually more sizes and availability will be made for aftermarket use on other vehicles.

Fingers crossed that that the performance results for the new tire proves it a solid successor to the PS4S.

Need to get some new tires, anything better then pilot sport 4s?
I just went from the OEM continentals to the Pilot sport 4s and they feel better than the old tires. Ride is quieter and smoother. I really like these tires. Got them at Costco and used some of our rewards to reduce the price. First time using Costco for tires (I've always used Discount Tire) and the experience was very nice (equal to DT).

Me also....but I was think of replacing them with the Michelin Pilot S4 4 Seasons....not that I need them at anytime in the South of France...but it means in winter, large parts of France won’t be off limits (winter tyre are compulsory now in high altitudes in winter)
Wait - I just checked I was wrong. I got the Pilot Sport All Season 4's.

1682627811914.png

Top all season tires are the Michelin AS4 and Continental DSW06+. Neither will ride like the PS4S, but they're both VERY good tires for aggressive street driving in the wet and dry.

The AS4 sacrifices marginal snow performance for a marginal improvement in wet and dry over the DSW06+. Can't go wrong with either all season performance tire.

Living in New England I chose the DSW06+ for my year round tire. Now that they're worn down, I run PS4S for above 50 degree F weather, and winter tires for sub 50 F weather.

Reactions: iSpine and Bouba
In my experience, they are very good for the money but anytime you are making that disclaimer, there's a tradeoff. On my BMWs, they do not ride as well nor are they as quiet. Handling while driving on city streets is similar but that's as far as I would take them. Wet conditions? Not even close.
That's because BMW insist on using run-flats, that's why they don't ride as well and not as quiet.

Unfortunately, no PS 5s in 21" sizes yet. The Sport EV is cheaper and "for EVs" but is heavier and has less tread depth so I'm going with the PS 4s. Just have to find them in stock...and find a parking lot to send the Pirellis off in a cloud of smoke :).

Reactions: 804son