Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything better then pilot sport 4s tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hankooks are cheaper than Michelin's because of lack of marketing?

You're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say Hankook doesn't do any marketing, just that Michelin does a crap-ton more marketing in this country, which is reflected in the tire price.

Hankook isn't some new brand that just came out, they sponsor teams, sporting events, race events and even have commercials running throughout the day.

I didn't say that they aren't nor that they don't.

Objective testing that includes the PS4S and the Hankook Ventus below. While the Hankook does lose here, note that the bar graphs don't start at zero. The difference is very small.

Thanks for this. When re-charted with a proper 0 y-axis, the differences aren't so dramatic.

1660863438641.png

And for "Noise" the Hankooks come in first -- 3db quieter than the PS4S.
"A 3 dB change yields a 100% increase in sound energy and just over a 23% increase in loudness." ( source)

1660863480549.png

Also, apparently someone on my ignore list is posting here.

Reactions: JssonB
That still makes the PS4S the best tires in their category.

You are also comparing your experience with the PSS, and not the PS4S. On paper they're close, but in testing the PS4S are much better overall. Have you ever driven the PS4S? While you are discussing objective experience we should mention that the handling (sidewall deflection, turn in, oversteer vs understeer, responsiveness) is something you can't measure. However, it's been said by every reviewer and enthusiast that the PS4S handling is head and shoulders above the competition.

So, maybe the Hankook are as good as (if not better than) the PSS. However, the PS4S are not the PSS and are (as far as this thread's OP wants to know) the best street performance tire available.

That still makes the PS4S the best tires in their category.

You are also comparing your experience with the PSS, and not the PS4S. On paper they're close, but in testing the PS4S are much better overall. Have you ever driven the PS4S? While you are discussing objective experience we should mention that the handling (sidewall deflection, turn in, oversteer vs understeer, responsiveness) is something you can't measure. However, it's been said by every reviewer and enthusiast that the PS4S handling is head and shoulders above the competition.

So, maybe the Hankook are as good as (if not better than) the PSS. However, the PS4S are not the PSS and are (as far as this thread's OP wants to know) the best street performance tire available.

Thank you for the reasoned and logical response. Yes, you are correct that I haven't driven on the PS4Ss, but my experience with the PSSs really soured me on the Michelin brand, when there are other comparable performing tires out there for a significantly lower cost. Sure, the Hankooks are arguably not "better" than the PS4S as the OP asked, but other people will certainly find and read this thread and I was offering those people an alternative over the PS4S fanboi love for those tires shown in this thread.

really soured me on the Michelin brand, when there are other comparable performing tires out there for a significantly lower cost.

Except your claim here continues to be objectively false.

The hankooks performance is measurably worse.

re
Sure, the Hankooks are arguably not "better" than the PS4S as the OP asked

It's weird you finally seem to admit your answer was wrong, then continue writing about why it wasn't.

That you apparently ignore people who point out facts to you is even weirder, but as Sam1 notes you're not alone on that one :)

Can we also go into further detail about what was so terrible about PSS tires?

I ran them on my tuned BMW M6 for a very long time, and they handled the 800HP and 800TQ like a champ.

I have had hankook evo's in the past and they weren't bad, but I have purchased michelin's only since 2017. I have always felt Hankook's are better suited for mid level sports cars, such as Nissan or 3-Series cars.

I don't know that i'd trust them on my 911's or MS. Maybe on my MYP, but I am not really trying to save money on tires. It would be more beneficial IMO to try and save elsewhere.

I'm also curious about what was wrong with the PSS.

At the time I heard they were more aggressive feeling than the PS2. Stiffer sidewalls, a bit louder, a little racier-feeling tire overall. I never used the PSS though. PS4S as I understand it is back to the PS2 recipe of being extremely daily-comfort-friendly - just with more grip than ever before.

I'm also curious about what was wrong with the PSS.

At the time I heard they were more aggressive feeling than the PS2. Stiffer sidewalls, a bit louder, a little racier-feeling tire overall. I never used the PSS though. PS4S as I understand it is back to the PS2 recipe of being extremely daily-comfort-friendly - just with more grip than ever before.

Nothing is wrong with the PSS, I ran a set of them for a while. The problem with any left over now, is that they were made years ago and are now sitting around getting hard. With mine last year I had to soak them in 2 coats of Hot Lap to soften the rubber back up. After that they were perfect.

Reactions: Mash and tm1v2
Conti's just are just as good in my opinion. One pound lighter in the 265/35/R18 size.
271241484_10165765167250567_5898881991255527812_n.jpg
They ride better at the same 45 psi cold. They also seem quieter on both smooth and rough roads. Takes expansion joints far better. A couple of negatives though. They don't seem as responsive as the PS4S as the initial turn-in is somewhat numb(softer sidewall perhaps, explains the better ride), but I am not complaining. The other is that the Conti's seem to take a set overnight in cold temps so there is tiny bit tire vibration until they are warmed up.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Conti's just are just as good in my opinion. One pound lighter in the 265/35/R18 size. View attachment 842906They ride better at the same 45 psi cold. They also seem quieter on both smooth and rough roads. Takes expansion joints far better. A couple of negatives though. They don't seem as responsive as the PS4S as the initial turn-in is somewhat numb(softer sidewall perhaps, explains the better ride), but I am not complaining. The other is that the Conti's seem to take a set overnight in cold temps so there is tiny bit tire vibration until they are warmed up.
Why would you run 45 cold on Model 3 with 265 wide tire? It's grossly overinflated. Especially for 18 inch. With that you should be at 37 cold and below whatever your goal is.

Not sure if they are better but I’m considering the Falken Azenis FK510. They have solid reviews (and test results) and are half the price of the PS4S. Might not be great if you have a long cold winter but seems like a solid summer option for the price.

I’ve had falkens and 4S and 4S is a way better tire in the rain and heat. Also quieter too and longer lasting.

Do you have a chart or calculator showing recommended pressures for different sizes? I’m going 265/35/19 PS4S and wondering what pressure I should run for daily driving.
In that size even SL- rated tires (1477lbs per tire @ 35psi) are more than sufficient to bear the full loaded weight of a Model 3 with full cargo/passenger load.
So, you can run any pressure over 30psi. On an XL-rated tire you'd get accelerated shoulder wear if you run it that much lower than the pressure the tire is rated at, which is 41psi. I run 36-37ish psi cold, unless on a road trip.
If you drive over a ton of potholes - bump your pressures up.

Reactions: Bennny
Do you have a chart or calculator showing recommended pressures for different sizes? I’m going 265/35/19 PS4S and wondering what pressure I should run for daily driving.

• Informative
Reactions: dsgerbc and Bennny
It's a useful calculator, but do not use it literally.
If you plug in the OEM 18" size/tire pressures, which arguably have ridiculously high load rating relative to what's needed for safety, it will scream at a lot of viable tires/pressures.
So, the way to use it somewhat sensibly is to plug in the Tesla's OEM 235/35/20 size, which has a perfectly safe load rating.