Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anything new coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry in advance for introducing such a nonsense thread.
I am a happy early adopter 2012/VIN3000 P85 owner.
I had a P85D loaner and was really surprised at what I am missing! I am ready to go for a P90DL but thinking I should wait until March (or so) to see what new things are coming?
The X will be in full swing and all eyes on the Model 3, so I am thinking there may be new things for the Model S to keep people excited about that as well.

Any rumors/thoughts?

So...."yes, there's a lot more new stuff coming." But we don't know what. Someone speculated about increasing the number of cameras and radar in place of sonar to continue the process toward autonomous driving. Elon's said that every 6mo to a year the battery will get better with more capacity. You can count on improved electronics hardware I'm sure...

But at some point you either have to be happy with what you have, or buy when there is some component you can't live without...this is going to be a continuous improvement vehicle and if you wait until it has 'everything' you'll never buy a new one. I think you have to just pick your own threshold for what makes getting a new one reasonable and accept the fact that someday there will be stuff you don't have but wish you did.

There are a ton of rumors, though off the top of my head I can only think of a few:
Facelift
LED headlights
Autonomous hardware (not AP) (more cameras, more radar, etc.)
New cabin air filter
Larger battery

I did see that they might be updating the exterior/interior design of the Model S next year. Apparently it was a conversation someone had while at a Tesla Service Center.

They just launched the Model X so I don't expect them to announce anything new through the end of this year. They could give us a holiday surprise though :smile:.

Efusco, well said: "..But at some point you either have to be happy with what you have, or buy when there is some component you can't live without...this is going to be a continuous improvement vehicle..."

I would assume that any features introduced on the Model X would make their way to the Model S eventually. So I think a front end redesign (no more nosecone?) ventilated seats and LED headlights, along with the new cabin filtration system would be some of the big changes.

If I were in your position, I would wait until at least March/April. I get the feeling that Tesla will announce new stuff for the Model S by then!

I think you either buy now and enjoy or settle in until June or so. The Model 3 is being unveiled at the end of March and my guess is that any updates will be announced around this time to keep the S fresh as X and 3 start to take some spotlight. Delivery in March right before the product reveal is a bit risky if you think new stuff will be announced around that time (no telling when the updates actually get added).

I think you either buy now and enjoy or settle in until June or so. The Model 3 is being unveiled at the end of March and my guess is that any updates will be announced around this time to keep the S fresh as X and 3 start to take some spotlight. Delivery in March right before the product reveal is a bit risky if you think new stuff will be announced around that time (no telling when the updates actually get added).

Even if the Model 3 is unvieled at the end of March, it's not going to start shipping until 2017-2018+. So that's plenty of time for the Model S to be "fresh" as compared to the Model 3.

I had a P85D loaner and was really surprised at what I am missing! I am ready to go for a P90DL but thinking I should wait until March (or so) to see what new things are coming?
The X will be in full swing and all eyes on the Model 3, so I am thinking there may be new things for the Model S to keep people excited about that as well.

Any rumors/thoughts?

I'm in the same boat as you and I started this thread about it:

Current owners looking to upgrade for autopilot - when? thoughts? etc.

I'm convinced from Elon's tweet last Nov about no major changes to Model S for one year, that major changes will come soon in the form of redesign of the front end to match the Model X and auto pilot 2.0:

Autopilot 2.0 hardware rumored this year on EyeQ3, article link enclosed - 8 cameras!!

I'm holding out for these changes before upgrading since it's not all that hard having to drive my current car.

Any rumors/thoughts?

Same thing for happened to me. Couple of weeks ago I got a P85D loaner with autopilot, while they changed out my contractors, 17" LCD screen, sun visors, etc. Very tempting to upgrade, but will wait and see what comes out next summer.

After driving 200 miles on autopilot on the loaner, I'm going to wait till autopilot version 2.0 is out.

I think just TACC is great for stop and go traffic, while auto-lane steering was stressing me out for the first 100 miles or so until I got comfortable. It's still a bit wishy washy in the lanes while using it at 75mph with a single camera.

@Canuck - good thread. sorry for not searching first. This covers it.
It is silly things like paint colors that get me excited. Although, I saw a really nicely done wrap so thinking about that.
I was surprised how much the car had changed from what I have to the P85D I am using today.
Not that anyone cares, but I will likely wait. I have <3000 reservation for an X so will get my shot of excitement from that. I just hope the falcon doors are fast. seems like a huge pain to wait for them.

As others have said, there will always be more coming. Having said that, from what I've learned in watching them over the past few years, I'd bet the ideal time to order a MS is after they make an addition or announcement that you consider significant. In this case, they just released autopilot (I guess you could argue it was released months ago) and fairly recent released ludicrous. If those are things you particularly want, that would be important.
I wouldn't just wait because something new might come, as you'll be waiting forever.

I think it is a really good time to buy a new MS, as the improvements coming in the near term are likely software. The engineers are likely busy on the M3 design, and putting out fires (hopefully figuratively) on the MX.
I don't think Tesla has a lot of capacity to fiddle with the MS, except software.

I think it is a really good time to buy a new MS, as the improvements coming in the near term are likely software. The engineers are likely busy on the M3 design, and putting out fires (hopefully figuratively) on the MX.
I don't think Tesla has a lot of capacity to fiddle with the MS, except software.

I agree,
Btw, that ota software updates(which is nice) and concern about future hardware changes when buying a Tesla, reminds me the dilemma when I was buying my iMac :). That's another similarity between Apple and Tesla brands.
I don't remember I've made that much research about my previous cars.

I'm definitely thinking some refresh in design and hardware to at least bring it up to MX, otherwise when the M3 is unveiled people will hold off purchasing. Also, if they can bring the 70D up to 270 miles and P85D up to 300 miles that would be great.