Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyway to turn off radio etc when opening the door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, every other car on the planet... you drive to your destination, put the vehicle in park then open the door to get out. When the door opens the radio turns off and essentially the car's electronics turn off. My Y does this but only after opening the door & then shutting it. Once shut everything turns off. I don't see a setting to change this but thought I'd ask if this can be changed.

I ask cause let's say there's 4-5 of you in the car with kids etc. it's just nice that everything turns off once you open your door so they have nothing else to do but get out etc. Plus, once at your destination I always find my self having to turn down the radio or whatever to talk to the kids in the back about putting shoes on and what side to get out on. It would just be nice if it was quiet and it turned everything off then instead of waiting for everyone to get out and close their doors.

Reactions: fsb1
I ask cause let's say there's 4-5 of you in the car with kids etc. it's just nice that everything turns off once you open your door so they have nothing else to do but get out etc. Plus, once at your destination I always find my self having to turn down the radio or whatever to talk to the kids in the back about putting shoes on and what side to get out on. It would just be nice if it was quiet and it turned everything off then instead of waiting for everyone to get out and close their doors.
  • Mute button on the wheel.
  • Tell your kids to leave their shoes on. It’s a safety thing.

There's no way to configure the car that way. You should notice, however, that the volume is lowered when the door opens. Yes, Tesla is not like any other car on the planet. Be patient, the shoes will go on after they're done picking their nose.

Last edited:
All good suggestions. Maybe quick muting is the way to go. Just wish the screen would turn off too. Oh well, not a huge deal.

Is it you're thinking when you would turn the key off in a gasoline car or push the start button to shut the car off? Tesla is always on when you're in the car, the screen needs to be on as it's 99% of the "button" for the car.

I think I thought a few things like you when we first got our 3, but that went away (5.5 years now). I suppose other cars with key as phone would work similariiy, unless they also have a "start" Button (such as waste of time lol).

Reactions: Kupe and zoomer0056
I've been around long enough to remember when the radio shut off when you opened the door. People complained because when they are dropping off at the airport or school, etc. they didn't want the music to stop and then have to re-start. Tesla changed the behavior I think back in 2019 or so because of community feedback.

Go figure - everyone has opinions!

Reactions: Kupe
Yeah, I'd just prefer for the car to turn off (or go to sleep) like it does when the last person shuts the door but when the driver opens their door instead. I mean, we are at our destination obviously getting out of the car so go head & turn off, don't wait until everyone is out. But anyway... to each their own I say!

That would be problematic. To have the car off whenever driver door is open. One scenario comes to mind as all lights are off when its dark until the driver is in an their door is shut.

Minor quibble. My husband is a gentleman and insists on opening my door for me, and closing it when I'm in. In the Tesla, when the door is open, the screen and HVAC come on. Then he closes my door and walks around the car, stopping to unplug and put away the charger, before getting in the driver's side. Everything in the car turns off and waits for him to come back in. I can wake the screen by touching it (took a couple of years to learn that) so, in winter, I can turn my seat heater on (remember, the car is set to his profile because he opened the door, therefore my seat heater isn't on.)

This is better than our previous ICE car, where there was no access to any HVAC or cracking a power window in summer, since the car was still 'off', but it still came as a surprise to him since, when he opened the door things were on and when he opened his door things were on and he didn't realize they turned off in between unless I intervened. (And I don't know if the windows work or not, haven't tried them.)

I'm still training him (after almost 40 years) to not close me into a summer hot car (in the ICE I'd stop him from closing the car and before the 90s when we finally had cars with electric windows, I'd roll down my window), or, in winter, to not spend the time making sure I'm in the car before coming around to his side in winter and actually starting the heat flowing. It seems bitchy to complain about someone trying to be a gentleman but...

Yeah, I'd just prefer for the car to turn off (or go to sleep) like it does when the last person shuts the door but when the driver opens their door instead. I mean, we are at our destination obviously getting out of the car so go head & turn off, don't wait until everyone is out. But anyway... to each their own I say!
You're thinking of it like a car and not a computer. When you hit 'shut down' on a computer, it goes through a series of shutdown activities. Tesla does the same. No big deal.

Minor quibble. My husband is a gentleman and insists on opening my door for me, and closing it when I'm in. In the Tesla, when the door is open, the screen and HVAC come on. Then he closes my door and walks around the car, stopping to unplug and put away the charger, before getting in the driver's side. Everything in the car turns off and waits for him to come back in. I can wake the screen by touching it (took a couple of years to learn that) so, in winter, I can turn my seat heater on (remember, the car is set to his profile because he opened the door, therefore my seat heater isn't on.)

This is better than our previous ICE car, where there was no access to any HVAC or cracking a power window in summer, since the car was still 'off', but it still came as a surprise to him since, when he opened the door things were on and when he opened his door things were on and he didn't realize they turned off in between unless I intervened. (And I don't know if the windows work or not, haven't tried them.)

I'm still training him (after almost 40 years) to not close me into a summer hot car (in the ICE I'd stop him from closing the car and before the 90s when we finally had cars with electric windows, I'd roll down my window), or, in winter, to not spend the time making sure I'm in the car before coming around to his side in winter and actually starting the heat flowing. It seems bitchy to complain about someone trying to be a gentleman but...
Surely a real gentleman uses the app a few minutes in advance to preheat or precool the car, and remembers the seat heater for his beloved's buttockular comfort :)

Reactions: gtae07
I Agree with you and posted about this when I first got my M3. Tesla should switch the on/off function from the doors to the weight sensor in the driver seat. That sensor is already there for the airbags and seatbelt warning. That way the car comes alive when you sit down and turns off when you exit the vehicle. Simple