Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 on submitted orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. That would mean that Tesla is replacing AP1 cars with AP2 cars. That's absolutely Fantastic News.

Congratulations to Tesla. Excellent work.

It's not so much that they are replacing AP1 cars with AP2 cars, it's that as was stated in the announcement, new cars off the line as of the date of the announcement will have hardware for AP 2.0... So it doesn't matter what you order, if it wasn't built after that announcement you get the new AP 2.0 hardware...

Really? It must be another MX. Elon said that to upgrade a car would be akin to a replacement of a spinal cord in a human.

I'm elated to hear that you are getting the option of an upgraded MX. That shows some heart from Tesla.
His order has not entered production yet, therefore his car, when produced, will include the hardware necessary for EAP. He received an email offering him the possibility to upgrade his order, so that his car will use all the available hardware.

His order has not entered production yet, therefore his car, when produced, will include the hardware necessary for EAP. He received an email offering him the possibility to upgrade his order, so that his car will use all the available hardware.
Ahhh. so if he doesn't take the upgrade....then he will get AP1? Hmmm. I hope he has an extra $2500 on hand.

I don't think its right, but I'm tired of disagreeing with Tesla in this forum.

I did same thing. i had to cancel the order and place new order
lost 2500.00 deposit.
let me know what happen with your order.

DS says that my initial AP order of $3k will only get me AP1 features and that an additional $2k to unlock the AP2 features. He said that the additional $3k for full autonomy is probably best to hold off as it's non refundable, so in case regulations restrict it's rollout I would be screwed.

If I chose not to upgrade to AP2, I would have to wait until after delivery of vehicle, so it would be an extra charge and it would not be rolled into my payment. I know I want EAP for sure, so I took the bait and upgraded. After reading the forums and knowing that Tesla won't refund, I did not choose to go full autonomy.

Last edited:
I don't plan on being a daily user of AP for one. If I frequently traveled long distances I would definitely pay for Enhanced. I'm mostly just curious how Tesla is going to handle the AP1 cars with AP2 hardware. I think AP1 is good enough, but I'm glad I have the extra hardware for the active safety features.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to be 99% in city driving. I have a buddy who uses his MS with AP1 for in city driving, so I figured I could use it for as much. Plus with the possibility of full AP getting slowed with legal processes, I predict that EAP will get further features that will take us to full AP, without going full AP. Just thinking out loud here.

It does for some of us. I only paid for AP1, but it will have AP2 hardware. But yes currently that is not an option if you are ordering your car after the AP2 announcement.
You might want to check with your DS again. I am in the same situation. I ordered MX with AP1 selected; $3000. I talked with my DS on otpions after announcement. Late November - December delivery, BTW. The vehicle is being built with AP2 hardware. It has no compatibility to the AP1 hardware. Options: 1) Do no elect the EAP reducing my final cost by $3000 that I reserved with AP1 functionality; 2) Elect for the EAP and pay an additional $2000; 3) Elect EAP and Autonomy and pay an addional $5000. I choose option 3. It doesn't seem feasible that they would build a vehicle with both AP1 and AP2 hardware since the architecture is completely different; Skyeye? vs. NVIDIA.

In addition to my previous post. It would seem like a programming nightmare to downgrade functionality of the AP2 functions to mimic AP1 functions with AP2 hardware. I worked at HP where a manufacturer would stay clear of that type of uniqueness of maintaining a separate version level than everyone else. It would have to house an entire team dedicated to maintaining that version constantly mimicking the AP1 functions. It wouldn't be as simple as using AP1 versioned software with AP2 hardware. firmware and drivers would be completely different. So, just seems strange to me.

In addition to my previous post. It would seem like a programming nightmare to downgrade functionality of the AP2 functions to mimic AP1 functions with AP2 hardware. I worked at HP where a manufacturer would stay clear of that type of uniqueness of maintaining a separate version level than everyone else. It would have to house an entire team dedicated to maintaining that version constantly mimicking the AP1 functions. It wouldn't be as simple as using AP1 versioned software with AP2 hardware. firmware and drivers would be completely different. So, just seems strange to me.

But it probably isn't that hard to limit it to AP1 functionality with AP2 hardware. And it gives you a great feature. Graceful fallback of capabilities if the other cameras fail/get blocked. (Since you only need one of the 7 cameras for the AP1 level of features.)

That and the fact that Tesla has already said they are going to do it.