Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP 2.0 on submitted orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP1 does have a Deep Learning Network but it does NOT learn in real time.
this goes back to my point. From what I understood so far, Tesla Vision has two distinct functionalities .. Real-time learning and performing self driving actions based on the current condition/scenario.

All the learning happens on tesla's servers and it pushes down the inferences to the cars. So I still see the possibility of AP 1.0 cars having their MobileEye equivalent models updated as well and perform the manouvers, is that understanding incorrect?

I have an MX 60D confirmed on Oct 3rd and have the $3000 AP setup in the configuration. I have a VIN but no production estimate yet. Sounds like many people have gotten an email from Tesla about the EAP upgrade but I haven't gotten any communication from Tesla or my DS about EAP. Anyone else out there who hasn't gotten any communication yet?

...I still see the possibility of AP 1.0 cars having their MobileEye equivalent models updated as well and perform the manouvers...

You are correct up to the point of what Tesla promised:

1) You have to babysit AP1 and "never" depend on it.
2) The best that it can learn is Merge-In-Ramp to Exit Ramp Freeway hand-free driving.
3) Summoning only in private properties (in case it fails.)

Freeway is supposed to be the easiest to achieve because it's a well controlled environment: controlled Merge-In and Exit points only, mostly same speed traffic flow, no traffic lights, no intersections,no pedestrians, no bicycles, no kids playing on the freeways, no animals...

Tesla has never promised AP1 for city driving or complex scenarios.

It was the first trial, a first incremental step that's meant to be a bridge to a better equipped hardware and software upgrades.

As you see from @Cosmacelf, the transition was supposed to be more incremental with MobilEye but fortunately, Tesla made a jump to supercomputer for the goal of Driverless with only 1 hardware upgrade.

The best I can hope for AP1 is: It will learn how to avoid accidents that have been reported so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: krazineurons
I have an MX 60D confirmed on Oct 3rd and have the $3000 AP setup in the configuration. I have a VIN but no production estimate yet. Sounds like many people have gotten an email from Tesla about the EAP upgrade but I haven't gotten any communication from Tesla or my DS about EAP. Anyone else out there who hasn't gotten any communication yet?
I contacted my DS for the options. I opted for EAP and Autonomy. Confirmed 9/27. Scheduled 11/29 delivery. They will have to ask since if you opted for AP. Three options. 1) Opt out of EAP (-$3000). 2) Opt for EAP ($2000). 3)Opt for EAP and Autonomy ($5000). There is not a correlation between selected AP and new options. So, a change will need to be made and confirmed.

I'm going to change my paint color. I asked if they would wave the $500 change fee if I ordered Enhanced AP at the same time. They said they would. It's still going to cost me $1,500 more than I was planning on spending. Do you think it's worth it?

I am planning to upgrade to EAP anyway for smart summon and AutoSteer+. Also hoping to eventually get some sort of 360 surround view around the car during backing up. No idea if EAP is connected with that, but I figure having all these surround cameras makes it more likely now than before. So I'd jump on 1500 if it were me...

I contacted my DS for the options. I opted for EAP and Autonomy. Confirmed 9/27. Scheduled 11/29 delivery. They will have to ask since if you opted for AP. Three options. 1) Opt out of EAP (-$3000). 2) Opt for EAP ($2000). 3)Opt for EAP and Autonomy ($5000). There is not a correlation between selected AP and new options. So, a change will need to be made and confirmed.

Thanks! Yeah, am expecting some communication this week from Tesla. It is strange that more common for MX orders than MS orders to be missing an "Estimated Delivery Range" on their MyTesla page. Did you always have a 11/29 scheduled delivery date from the time you got a VIN?

I'm going to change my paint color. I asked if they would waive the $500 change fee if I ordered Enhanced AP at the same time. They said they would. It's still going to cost me $1,500 more than I was planning on spending. Do you think it's worth it?

You're the one who will look at your car day in, days out so only you can answer the question about the paint.

At least, you got a good deal on change-fee waiver!

I wonder if they would alllow me to change other config options and waive the change fee. If the 100D were to come out, i think i would upgrade from 60D to 100D

Range is king! I would agree with your choice. You might be able to save time and skip a Supercharger and don't have to be stressed out with the long waiting line in certain locations/time. And if you use Supercharger for your bigger battery, it replenishes more miles in the same time frame as a smaller pack does.

Any how, just call Tesla up and ask! It's worth asking because you are offering to pay up much more if they just waive the change-fee.

I'm just really curious how much they will dumb down the AP1 with AP2 hardware. They say they aren't going to enable as many cameras and RADAR, but that seems a little crazy for them to make the AP less safe over a couple thousand dollars. Especially with all the controversy surrounding AP. I wonder how many total orders there are that have this scenario. If it's 2,000 cars at $2,000 a piece, that would be $4 million. Maybe it would be worth it to them. I kind of want to be a guinea pig and stick with the AP1 software just to see how Tesla handles this. It will cost me an extra $1,500 if I change my mind after delivery. I'm kind of hedging my bets that they won't compromise on safety. I will only being using AP on rare occasions anyway. What to do, what to do?

I'm tired of reading members thinking that AP2 hardware being limited to AP1 features will cause safety concerns. There are 2 separate things here:

(a) There are the safety features like auto-braking, side-collision avoidance, collision notification, etc. These will be included for everyone.
(b) There are convenience features like lane-change, auto-steer, TACC, etc. These are what will be limited for those that paid for it. With AP2 hardware enabled vehicles there will be additional convenience features (Enhanced AP) that will work with the navigation system. For example, freeway-to-freeway navigation, automatic freeway exit, etc. Also, there will be a more advanced summons algorithm to allow it to work in more complex scenarios. You won't get these new feature unless you pay for them.

I suspect that whether you pay for Enhanced AP or not, some of the convenience features will work better, like "lane-change".

...a little crazy for them to make the AP less safe over a couple thousand dollars. Especially with all the controversy surrounding AP...

I thought I made it clear in other posts that historically, Tesla allows you to use up to the limit of what you pay for.

You have a choice of:

1) Manual Driving: with 1 camera (for standard option of Automatic Emergency Braking)
2) Enhanced Autopilot: with 4 cameras
3) Driverless: with 8 cameras

The controversy can be easily clear up if you read its order webpage description:

"That said, Enhanced Autopilot should still be considered a driver's assistance feature with the driver responsible for remaining in control of the car at all times."

Whether you are on AP1 or AP2, beta or well proven version, if your AP hits something it's the human driver's fault whose description has been very clear that human's job is to supervise the system! (If a babysitter turns his back for a second and that baby falls down from a table, it's the babysitter's fault, not the baby although it's obvious that the baby did it!)

One safety aspect would be blind spot detection. When in AP will the car change lanes, when the turn signal is applied, into a passing car like it currently will, if the Enhanced isn't enabled? I'm guessing vandacca would say no, and Tam would say yes.

I would say maybe. ;)

The new ultrasonic sensors have twice the range, and I don't see them limiting that in software if you don't upgrade to EAP. So it will be less likely than AP1 but more likely than EAP. However I wouldn't be surprised if while the AP Convenience Features started changing lanes at the drivers command that the SCW went off to let the driver know that they made a bad decision. (i.e. cameras in use for Safety but not Convenience features.) And that the SCW might even cancel the lane change.