Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP and speed changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When in AP and the speed limit changes to a higher speed is there a way to make it automatically change with it. It seems like I'm always messing with the speed back and forth. Is it a setting?
Thanks

Nope, that's not a thing, unless you enter a small enough road that the maximum Autosteer speed allowed is only 5 above the limit, in which case it'll lower itself automatically.

When in AP and the speed limit changes to a higher speed is there a way to make it automatically change with it. It seems like I'm always messing with the speed back and forth. Is it a setting?
Thanks
yes, that works for me. I always have my speed limit adjustment at +5 mph, so if I'm going 45 mph in a 40 mile speed limit zone and the speed limit changes to 45 mph, the car will automatically increase to 50 mph without any intervention from me.

I've noticed if I was at a higher speed (65mph) and it auto reduces speed down to say 50 in a 45 then as soon as the limit increases again it will speed up on its own. But if I engage autopilot in a 40 mph zone then reach a sign for 55mph it doesn't just accelerate to 5mph over the limit as I'd expect. So there's different behavior if you've been driving with autopilot at higher speeds and it auto slowing down vs how it behaves if you enable it at lower speeds and expect it to adjust to higher speed limits. I've often wondered why it works this way or why they dont implement some toggle to do this behavior especially if you use the default adaptive/autopilot speed set to x mph or in my case +7mph

Reactions: jlv1
I wish there was a setting like this.

I use AP on a road where the limit starts at 50 MPH. I set it to 55 MPH. The limit drops to 35 MPH, and the car drops to 40. The limit goes up to 40 and the car goes up to 45. The limit finally goes back to 50, and the car continues on at 55. It all works great if I get on the road and turn on AP when the limit is at 50. But if I initially turn on AP when the limit is 35 MPH, the car does not raise it's speed when the limit does up to 40 - I have to do that manually.

I wish there was a setting like this.

I use AP on a road where the limit starts at 50 MPH. I set it to 55 MPH. The limit drops to 35 MPH, and the car drops to 40. The limit goes up to 40 and the car goes up to 45. The limit finally goes back to 50, and the car continues on at 55. It all works great if I get on the road and turn on AP when the limit is at 50. But if I initially turn on AP when the limit is 35 MPH, the car does not raise it's speed when the limit does up to 40 - I have to do that manually.

Exactly!!!

I've noticed if I was at a higher speed (65mph) and it auto reduces speed down to say 50 in a 45 then as soon as the limit increases again it will speed up on its own. But if I engage autopilot in a 40 mph zone then reach a sign for 55mph it doesn't just accelerate to 5mph over the limit as I'd expect. So there's different behavior if you've been driving with autopilot at higher speeds and it auto slowing down vs how it behaves if you enable it at lower speeds and expect it to adjust to higher speed limits. I've often wondered why it works this way or why they dont implement some toggle to do this behavior especially if you use the default adaptive/autopilot speed set to x mph or in my case +7mph
Maybe that's the logic AP works to at the moment, have to check tomorrow myself. I've so far just noticed that sometimes the speed setting changes automatically and sometimes not without any apparent pattern.