Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP/FSD related crashes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if you're still around in this thread @cdotyii, but if you are I was curious whether you know if your car was operating on highway (V11) mode or city-street (V12) mode.

The only way to know this is if you use automatic max speed. If it's in city-street mode it will display "Auto / Max" next to the speed limit, and in highway it switches back to a number e.g. "62 / Max."

Not sure if you're still around in this thread @cdotyii, but if you are I was curious whether you know if your car was operating on highway (V11) mode or city-street (V12) mode.

The only way to know this is if you use automatic max speed. If it's in city-street mode it will display "Auto / Max" next to the speed limit, and in highway it switches back to a number e.g. "62 / Max."
I can confidently answer that. I live in the northern part of the state. These country roads are always on the city streets part of the software, so it was v12. The only time it goes to highway/v11 is if it is a limited access highway. Even on Rt 20 between Norwalk and Woodville, Ohio, it is v11 since it has driveways and no onramps despite being divided and 4 lanes. I think the bypass around Norwalk and around Fremont, with Exits and onramps may be v12, but these 2 lane roads are always city streets.

Just to be clear, you meant v11 here, not v12? I was not sure.
Correct. My local observation is that if it is not a limited access highway, it is on city streets. It's probably one reason why country roads that have a speed limit of 55 mph per state law that don't have speed limit signs after you turn on to them sometimes report 25 or 35 mph

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Was this car on FSD? There’s only 1 pic of the S, but the fender turn signals look flat like on AP1, rather than a car that could have FSD.
This kind of thing crops up every few months. An accident, it's a Tesla so someone says it was doing self-driving. Maybe the driver claimed it or maybe it was just amplified speculation. In almost all cases, it turns out it was manual driving, or possibly TACC or basic Autopilot.

Even here on TMC, people are pretty quick to spread the negative speculation and slow to follow up with the mitigating facts.

Is it impossible that it was on FSD? No. But current versions of FSD are extremely unlikely to slam into any car stopped on or near the road. Multiply that vanishingly low probability by the statistics of the rear incident itself, then mix in rumor and the strong Tesla FUD-factor. It's convenient for people who want to spread that here, but it very rarely plays out if you follow it up.

But current versions of FSD are extremely unlikely to slam into any car stopped on or near the road.
I would have thought that too but the train crossing video cured me of that misconception.

That crash, like this one, was caused by a poor supervising driver. In the train crash video the driver didn't intervene until it was blazingly obvious the car wasn't going to stop. In this case, the driver was on their phone and not paying attention.

So, for those of us who actually supervise our cars in FSD, Autopilot, or even just TACC, it won't be an issue and, at least my car will always stop instead of slamming into stopped cars that are visible. But that's because I will be the one stopping the car.

Reactions: DanCar