Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP is Awesome and Fascinating ... But I Turn it Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I activated the AP trial a month or so ago and then turned it off before the trial was over. Last week I was delighted to read about lane keep assist (LKA) for all cars ... and turned it off after a day of use. My problem is that my preferred driving habits clash with AP. I tend to drive in the right hand lane, and to the right hand side of the lane to boot. AP hates my driving habit. She may be right, but it is not the way I want to drive. I took to calling the car "the nag" but the last straw was AP interfering with my attempt to give wide berth to a bicyclist.

At this point the only assist feature I miss is radar assisted cruise control. I may yet turn on LKA during long trips.

I activated the AP trial a month or so ago and then turned it off before the trial was over. Last week I was delighted to read about lane keep assist (LKA) for all cars ... and turned it off after a day of use. My problem is that my preferred driving habits clash with AP. I tend to drive in the right hand lane, and to the right hand side of the lane to boot. AP hates my driving habit. She may be right, but it is not the way I want to drive. I took to calling the car "the nag" but the last straw was AP interfering with my attempt to give wide berth to a bicyclist.

At this point the only assist feature I miss is radar assisted cruise control. I may yet turn on LKA during long trips.
Bicyclists should not be on the freeway. I'm not sure that is really an issue?

NOA was fun, but I turned off auto lane change eventually. It always likes the far left lane next to the concrete barrier.

I don't think LKA is the same as autopilot you may be expecting too much from it.

• Helpful
Reactions: run-the-joules
I've used AP a handful of times. Where I live and drive, it just isn't conducive to the driving conditions here. Now, if I were back on the Mainland, I-95, I-5 (outside city boundries), I-10, I would definately use it. LK, LD...I've used those but, I want the control and have never had an issue with accidental lane departure. It comes down to comfort, location dynamics and control, for me.Yes, the technology is cool but, some of it, I find, additional "fluff". When I do trade or sell the 3, I'm sure the buyer will be ecstatic knowing the features are available.

Your Mazda should have included 120mpg fuel efficiency for free...see how these things work?

Single item comparisons are just plain dumb
Except Model 3 costs about double of the Mazda I have.
I didn't buy Tesla for a 'fuel efficiency' paying about $80K, now that'll be dumb. I'm just saying they could include it as a premium car. Not paying $4K CAD just for that.

Reactions: afadeev
Except Model 3 costs about double of the Mazda I have.
I didn't buy Tesla for a 'fuel efficiency' paying about $80K, now that'll be dumb. I'm just saying they could include it as a premium car. Not paying $4K CAD just for that.
You didn’t pay $80 and not get autopilot. Your story is a bit shaky.

And ok, you didn’t care about the efficiency....your Mazda should have included 0-60 in 4 seconds.

You are right to stay in the right-most lane at all times, unless for passing.
That is the law in many civilized countries and US states, though not in Cali, and not for Tesla Nav on AP (NAP).
AP usually defaults to hugging the traffic dividing yellow line, which is not ideal for many reasons in many situations. However, it would have been helpful in giving extra room to well-mannered bicyclists who should be peddling on the shoulder of the road. If you've got the types that like to drive in the car lane, then I feel your pain.

AP isn't perfect, at all, but on the balance, I find it a net positive feature.
You do have to learn about its (undocumented) limitations and failure modes, and guard against those. Which can be tricky, as over-relying and over-trusting AP can lead to too many near-misses.

You probably shouldn't be using autopilot on any road that also has bicycle traffic, unless there's a designated (and wide enough) bike lane.

If you follow the letter of the TM3 manual, you should not use CC + AP under all of the following scenarios:
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed for your driving comfort and convenience and is not a collision warning or avoidance system.
  • Although Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is capable of detecting pedestrians and cyclists, never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow Model 3 down for them.
  • Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing.
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h), may not brake/decelerate when a vehicle or object is only partially in the driving lane
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may be unable to provide adequate speed control because of limited braking capability and hills. It can also misjudge the distance from a vehicle ahead.
  • Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model 3 to avoid a collision.
  • Autopilot [..] unable to function as intended on Narrow or winding roads.
To summarize - don't use CC + AP if roads are winding or narrow, if pedestrians or cyclists or other cars are present, if traffic is present (when are traffic conditions not changing! :D), or at above 50 mph.

Basically, you should only EVER use CC + AP it on a totally empty straight highway, when no other cars are present, but only if you drive below 50 mph.

This is not meant to be a joke.
Even if you think it reads as such.
These are quotes from TM3 manual.

:eek::rolleyes:o_O

a

P.S.: I didn't even get to list Auto Steer or NAP limitations.

Reactions: SageBrush
You didn’t pay $80 and not get autopilot. Your story is a bit shaky.

And ok, you didn’t care about the efficiency....your Mazda should have included 0-60 in 4 seconds.

Yeah be thankful that you don't have to pay 15% tax like me in BC Canada. I did pay $80K after tax and that was without EAP or FSD. And I was comparing the price points between two cars, so just move on if you think differently rather than calling someone's opinion dumb.

Yeah be thankful that you don't have to pay 15% tax like me in BC Canada. I did pay $80K after tax and that was without EAP or FSD. And I was comparing the price points between two cars, so just move on if you think differently rather than calling someone's opinion dumb.
I was specifically calling the idea of single data point comparisons dumb. And then showed you the fallacy using two examples.

Your opinion is your your opinion. I can feel like it’s wrong but I didn’t call it dumb. Nice work playing the victim though.

I haven't come across a single bicycle yet on Rt 95, so I guess I've been lucky. :D

I use (vanilla) AP every day and find it absolutely invaluable. 70+ mile highway commute.

I don't use NOA, because I'm still better at making decisions than the car.

Vanilla AP is better than I am at staying centered, staying ever vigilant, slowing imperceptibly when traffic is consistent, keeping a constant speed up and down hills, and (to my amazement) seeing in the heavy rain.

Overall, amazing feature. My .02.

You have radar assisted cruise control as you call it (Tesla calls it Traffic Aware Cruise Control). If you do just 1 tap down on the gear stalk, you can engage radar assisted cruise control without engaging lane keep assist (Tesla calls it Auto Steer).

I was specifically calling the idea of single data point comparisons dumb. And then showed you the fallacy using two examples.

Your opinion is your your opinion. I can feel like it’s wrong but I didn’t call it dumb. Nice work playing the victim though.

Single item comparisons are just plain dumb

And that specific calling was towards my post, nice work trying to get around what you did. And I wasn't playing victim or anything, I was just talking about your rudeness from your reply. I know you won't change that attitude so I won't care anymore and move on.

And that specific calling was towards my post, nice work trying to get around what you did. And I wasn't playing victim or anything, I was just talking about your rudeness from your reply. I know you won't change that attitude so I won't care anymore and move on.
I didn’t realize your name was single item comparisons. Sorry for calling you dumb.