Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP now changing speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Just been out on A roads for the first time in a bit and was using AP. It seemed to be changing between speed limits now without having to dis- and re-engage?

No idea when this started, but I'm on 40.1 now.

AP has always change 'down' if your going from a 60-30mph zone according to GPS map data. If your going from 30-60mph it'll stay at 30mph unless AP have previously changed down and AP has stayed active for the whole time period in between.

Reactions: Rooster6655
It often changes speeds automatically.. even advisory speeds on motorways (I even had it obey a roadworks limit but I suspect that was because it had been there so long it had been loaded into the map data). On slip roads for example it'll happily go 70-50-60-70 without any intervention.

Except when it doesn't...

It's maybe just on some roads and not others, but never really found a pattern to it. Just have to be prepared to manually intervene.

My M3P has started slowing down to keep within the speed limits on it's own, when in town on AP, since I updated to 40.2.1.
I can't remember it doing this before the update. It also wont allow you to set a speed higher than the limit when in town, I'm sure it used to allow eg. 33mph in a 30 to be set.

Just been out on A roads for the first time in a bit and was using AP. It seemed to be changing between speed limits now without having to dis- and re-engage?

No idea when this started, but I'm on 40.1 now.

Do you have a model S / AP1 gangzoom? Model 3 doesn’t change target speed for speed limit changes unless you tap the speed limit sign on the screen

One the model 3 if the speed limit changes based on GPS/Mapping data the AP adjusts the speed once its gone into that area (A bit late usually), it doesn't read speed signs however like AP1 cars. This has been since the start.

AP has always change 'down' if your going from a 60-30mph zone according to GPS map data. If your going from 30-60mph it'll stay at 30mph unless AP have previously changed down and AP has stayed active for the whole time period in between.

Yes same as model 3

I think there is a difference between speed limits and 'fleet speed', the latter is what it seems to apply to corners and intersections. I've seen no evidence (although not tested speed limits specifically in 40.x) of any form of speed consistent limit adherence but possibly fleet speeds - such as on/off ramps/interchanges. For instance, M3 J5 south offramp, the car slows for the roundabout with TACC speed changing in steps, but no speed limit change. Unfortunately, its rather over cautious on its slowing and final stop position.

The biggest issue imho, is its totally inconsistent and can so far never be trusted to do what you think it should be doing.

On the model 3 if the speed limit changes based on GPS/Mapping data the AP adjusts the speed once its gone into that area (A bit late usually), it doesn't read speed signs however like AP1 cars. This has been since the start.

Interesting, this has never happened for me. My experience agrees with the manual (pic below)

Perhaps I never give it long enough to slow down and I manually reduce the max speed before it has a chance to to it automatically.

What do you have your speed limit assist setting set to in Controls > Autopilot > Speed Limit Warning ?

Untitled_33.png

Last edited:
Interesting, this has never happened for me. My experience agrees with the manual (pic below)

What do you have your speed limit assist setting set to in Controls > Autopilot > Speed Limit Warning ?

Speed only changes with AP engaged, does not change speed if no AP and only cruise control which then your manual picture then applies.

Never changed setting so assume default.