Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP zig zag down road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have noticed this with V 10. Previously, the lane position was stubbornly centered (the whole issue of veering wide on corners aside).

Now, I have noticed a distinct tendency for the vehicle to nudge away from other vehicles, particularly large ones close to the lane line. There have been comments about how this would be desirable, but I am a fan of sticking to the center. Plus, it is sufficiently pronounced that my wife complained of feeling a little seasick as a result.

I believe V 10 has incorporated some logic that gives a little extra space to crowded conditions. As your car weaves, see if you notice traffic just ahead and to the side, and see if you can detect a pattern. I think this is what is going on. I notice it distinctly when passing large trucks.

I am not a fan of this behavior, because I am also a motorcyclist, and until AP demonstrates equal accommodation to motorcycles approaching from the rear, I am concerned that the car could shift to give room to a truck, just as a motorcycle is lane sharing past on the other side.

We have noticed this with V 10. Previously, the lane position was stubbornly centered (the whole issue of veering wide on corners aside).

Now, I have noticed a distinct tendency for the vehicle to nudge away from other vehicles, particularly large ones close to the lane line. There have been comments about how this would be desirable, but I am a fan of sticking to the center. Plus, it is sufficiently pronounced that my wife complained of feeling a little seasick as a result.

I believe V 10 has incorporated some logic that gives a little extra space to crowded conditions. As your car weaves, see if you notice traffic just ahead and to the side, and see if you can detect a pattern. I think this is what is going on. I notice it distinctly when passing large trucks.

I am not a fan of this behavior, because I am also a motorcyclist, and until AP demonstrates equal accommodation to motorcycles approaching from the rear, I am concerned that the car could shift to give room to a truck, just as a motorcycle is lane sharing past on the other side.

This! 100%

I have now driven a few hundred miles on V10 EAP. There is a clear pattern that @Puddles mentions. Larger vehicles seem to now cause AP to veer away from them. Plus, it does this fairly aggressively, making myself and any passengers uncomfortable. Today, I had 2 distinct issues:

1) During the passing of a semi, my X hugged the edge of the lane opposite so much so that it ran over a couple "road turtles". WAYYYY overkill! I noted that the semi during this time was fairly centered in his/her lane, and wasn't weaving or driving erratic at all. This was also on a straight section of freeway during sunny weather.

2) While in the middle lane, the left lane slowed so I was 'overtaking' the vehicles in that lane. At the same time, the right lane slowed a tad too. I was going about 3MPH faster than both adjacent lanes. To my left was a large van (btw, ALL large vehicles seem to cause this reaction, not just semis) and to my right was a truck towing a large Wells Cargo trailer. My X veered away from the van and towards the trailer. I would say that I was about 'centered' between the two... HOWEVER, the Wells Cargo trailer had large wheel-well/fenders outside the trailer's main body. I got SO close to the trailer's wheels that I almost took over. If I would have had a passenger, they would have probably tensed up! I was 100% at the ready, but wanted to see what my X would do... I was NOT pleased.

So warning... Tesla doesn't seem to take extended wheel wells and/or fenders into consideration when deciding lane placement.

I also had a chance to enjoy some very RARE instances where there was little to no traffic within 50yards of my vehicle while on the freeway. And... even then, EAP seemed to be 'hunting' in the lane. Much more so than with previous versions. I am an avid EAP user, almost to the extreme, so I am very aware of changes to it's behavior.

I previously stated that it 'got better with mileage'... I now recant that statement. I am not a fan of this EAP. I will probably not use it with passengers any longer... and that is a very sad thing for me to say!

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Upside: just wait a week or 2, it'll be different.
Downside: different doesn't always mean better

I recall in the early part of this year every time I would get an update it would induce weird AP behavior. I feel like that kind of stopped later in the year.

This isn’t wandering. It’s deliberate flinching away from vehicles. I do hope it burns off in a few days or weeks.

Reactions: Puddles
Some passengers are naturally uncomfortable depending upon who is driving. Funny thing is, driver X might make passenger A uncomfortable while they are totally fine with driver Y while passenger B is more comfortable with driver X. Then you have passenger C who is scared at any speed over 40 mph and passenger D who is only scared if the situation actually warrants being fearful.

Previous to Ver. 10. a lot of Tesla owners voiced their discomfort that AP didn't move over to the edge of the lane when over-taking large trucks. They felt staying centered in their lane was too scary. Now version 10 accounts for large trucks by moving closer to the edge of the lane and some people get uncomfortable because...well, you get the picture, you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

After having tested the new capabilities that come with version 10, I have to say, I'm very impressed. Also, my wife downloaded ver. 10 in her Model 3 on Sunday night and, after 130 miles her feedback was all positive except she said it slowed down to 40 mph at one corner it previously took at 50 mph. But everything else was more natural, more human-like. I take this as a win on the inevitable road to autonomy and one more big step forward for both our cars (most cars simply do not improve this much in a year, let alone at all).

• Disagree
Reactions: Phlier and SanmanM3
After updating to V10, I have had 4-5 serious swerving events on NoA -- no lane change requested but car swings to the left well across lane marker (including double yellow lines on two-way road) then swings back to the right into lane and repeats if I don't cancel NoA. Then can go 100+ miles on NoA before next event. Have a service request in and sent video clips for them to analyze.

• Informative
Reactions: SanmanM3
After updating to V10, I have had 4-5 serious swerving events on NoA -- no lane change requested but car swings to the left well across lane marker (including double yellow lines on two-way road) then swings back to the right into lane and repeats if I don't cancel NoA. Then can go 100+ miles on NoA before next event. Have a service request in and sent video clips for them to analyze.

What model car do you have? Is it even a Tesla? Will you post the video here too?

For me, on 2019.32.2.2 (v9, not v10) this is "normal" especially on wider straighter roads. Your corrections as a human driver will be smoother than AutoPilot.

For the inevitable "but Tesla is best" retorts, yes other lane keep systems bounce around more. However, Tesla's AP does also mildly zig zag. It is noticeable especially in low traffic conditions.

Reactions: SanmanM3
This! 100%

I have now driven a few hundred miles on V10 EAP. There is a clear pattern that @Puddles mentions. Larger vehicles seem to now cause AP to veer away from them. Plus, it does this fairly aggressively, making myself and any passengers uncomfortable. Today, I had 2 distinct issues:

1) During the passing of a semi, my X hugged the edge of the lane opposite so much so that it ran over a couple "road turtles". WAYYYY overkill! I noted that the semi during this time was fairly centered in his/her lane, and wasn't weaving or driving erratic at all. This was also on a straight section of freeway during sunny weather.

2) While in the middle lane, the left lane slowed so I was 'overtaking' the vehicles in that lane. At the same time, the right lane slowed a tad too. I was going about 3MPH faster than both adjacent lanes. To my left was a large van (btw, ALL large vehicles seem to cause this reaction, not just semis) and to my right was a truck towing a large Wells Cargo trailer. My X veered away from the van and towards the trailer. I would say that I was about 'centered' between the two... HOWEVER, the Wells Cargo trailer had large wheel-well/fenders outside the trailer's main body. I got SO close to the trailer's wheels that I almost took over. If I would have had a passenger, they would have probably tensed up! I was 100% at the ready, but wanted to see what my X would do... I was NOT pleased.

So warning... Tesla doesn't seem to take extended wheel wells and/or fenders into consideration when deciding lane placement.

I also had a chance to enjoy some very RARE instances where there was little to no traffic within 50yards of my vehicle while on the freeway. And... even then, EAP seemed to be 'hunting' in the lane. Much more so than with previous versions. I am an avid EAP user, almost to the extreme, so I am very aware of changes to it's behavior.

I previously stated that it 'got better with mileage'... I now recant that statement. I am not a fan of this EAP. I will probably not use it with passengers any longer... and that is a very sad thing for me to say!
I really prefer the dead centered way of V9 to the ping ponging in the lane of V10

I'll toss this out, just in case it matches OP's experience.

The only place I've noticed Autosteer zig-zagging is on a stretch of freeway with diamond grooves. The grooves aren't perfectly parallel with the lanes, and have a tendency to pull the tires to one side or the other. Autosteer corrects for this zig by zagging back to the center of the lane.

Whoa. My first thought is your car was tipping a few back when you weren't looking. Seriously, please report back to this thread when you hear from Tesla.
Yes, during these events it feels like the car has had one too many (in a very scary way) but then it sobers up quickly when autopilot is disengaged/re-engaged. I'll report back if and when I get a diagnosis and fix from Tesla

Ey guys, i had opened another thread with the same behavior. I am On v10 2019.32.11.1 and the car does zig zag like you have said. It happened to me with and without cars in the adjacent lanes, and with and without semi or trucks, but it is true that sometimes it did it well. Normally when i bad weather it does even driving alone in the highway. I have heard from another tesla owner having the same issue, and he said that when you are in highway of just 2 lanes, it didn’t happen. I have a M3 for 2 weeks with FSD and i think HW2.5. So this is happening because the update. When i was in V9 this was not happening, neither in v10 2019.32.11, or Maybe i did not notice it, since i had that version for a couple of days. I don’t think that the autopilot has to adjust itself, since for me it happened in different situations. It started doing it, then it didn’t, then do it again and over and over. I hope we will soon an explanation for this or a new update. Does somebody here noticed that with the early access v10? Btw, i am locate in The Netherlands