Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thankful I've only had one more instance of inappropriate braking (that might not have been super in appropriate). I did find out that this update ignores the "Emergency Braking on Autopilot" setting ... because I had been using that option since the first incident ... but it still did it even though I had turned that off. So reported that bug.

I think my worst inappropriate braking incident was with a particular vehicle and hopefully was a one-off kind of thing as it was freakin' scary.

I've done soft reboots a couple of times but I still don't have release notes or web browser rendering :( It's funny because with the previous I was on the web browser was mostly usable for the first time ...

I have done it twice, that is navigate to a supercharger using navigation, and have not noticed any difference, but then I have not documented the rate at particular state of charges previously to compare, or have any app or canbus dongles for data to download to compare. if it is say a 5% or 10% faster supercharge difference I don't think anyone would be able to tell objectively. I have seen 119 kW at low SOC before, so that can't get any better with the current superchargers, but maybe it would hold that charge rate for a longer period of time? But then if the battery wasn't warm enough it would not charge at a maximum rate to start, so I can't see how preheating it would make a difference in that case, as the battery does heat as it charges, yes?

Without downloading supercharging data through some app someone would need to supercharge from say 30% to 80% once with using preheat and once without, in the same ambient air temperature, driving the same distance before supercharging, using the same supercharger in both cases and compare the times. I would love to see those times quicker by 25% as Tesla suggests; wish I had the time to do the experiment.

But I will have another 12 hour drive in the car tomorrow with 3 supercharging sessions, what I can do is use preheat and check the charge rate at various SoC points and see if they are improved based on the red line (average) in this graph, as my car previously charged at a rate bang-on the red line.

View attachment 403912

Would be interesting to see if the charge can remain at max speed longer (so above 25% SoC).

Did something change with the traffic display on the navigation map? Yesterday I think I saw a wider range of colors - orange for slow traffic, bright red for very slow, and dark red for almost totally stopped? Not sure if that's new or if I just noticed it for the first time.
It's always been that way. I wish they would bring back green for clear roads.

Reactions: bmah
Two things I noticed while driving on 2019.12.1.1 is if you touch the HVAC fan at the bottom of the screen while backing up, the back up camera disappears. I also noticed on AP1 that while using autopilot, my car slowed and stopped behind a STOPPED car at a red light. The car was stopped way ahead of where the car could see it.

Two things I noticed while driving on 2019.12.1.1 is if you touch the HVAC fan at the bottom of the screen while backing up, the back up camera disappears.

I think it did that before. If I recall correctly it's best to not touch the screen at all while backing up, because the backup camera display goes away. I know it happened to me earlier this week and I'm pretty sure it was before I installed this update.

if you touch the HVAC fan at the bottom of the screen while backing up, the back up camera disappears
I wrote to them about this in January. Touch anything and it goes away.

Thank you for writing in about the reverse camera. This is something that our techs will look into. We do want our customers to be safe and the back up camera is important for that.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 2019.12.1.1

2018.50.6 was the best for AP1, never had a single issue with anything. After I updated to 2019.12.1.1, I experienced a random MCU reboot the other day and now my sunroof stopped working.

I agree 50.6 was solid but with bugs that I got used to live with.
Just a few:
- MCU starts replacing text with garbage characters or blanks after two weeks. This did not block the functionality but required a reboot to fix it again. For another two weeks.
- Browser unstable
- switch from WiFi to 3G meant most of the time Tunein station stalling, and needed to switch channel to get streaming again.
- Spotify worked but after reboot would need several attempts to get a connection and sometimes another reboot.
- I’ll stop here as there are more.

So far 12.1.1 has been good to me, though browser remain unstable. For the above issues, Spotify connects perfectly, WiFi to 3g works perfect. Browser remains unstable.

I guess experiences are different as so many parameters come into play: not only the cars have different components over the months as this is part of tesla’s continuous improvement strategy, but also data coverage and provides different from area to area or countries.

But I would not advise to dismiss the latest update.

Reactions: dark cloud
DO NOT UPGRADE TO 2019.12.1.1

2018.50.6 was the best for AP1, never had a single issue with anything. After I updated to 2019.12.1.1, I experienced a random MCU reboot the other day and now my sunroof stopped working.

Well, over 3/4 of AP1 owners already have now, and I don't think they have changed any operation of the sunroof in a software update since the UI difference in V9, so if it is not working it must be something other than the 12.1.1 update. I have not had any ill-effects from this update yet, other than the volume going up and down randomly just on the first day after the update; hasn't happened since.

Must say I love 12.1.1 compared to 50.6, particularly as it feels that AP1 runs smoother and has better awareness. Another big plus is the dog mode which certainly will be appreciated when the summer is here in North.

After several days I think now I will agree; lane changes turn the steering wheel a little more gradually at the beginning and finishing of the lane change, and I did think it ping ponged a little less until following a car closely, where it searched in the lane a little bit as the car in front blocked the camera from seeing the painted lines far enough ahead. But dog mode was actually contained in the updates before 12.1.1 (such as .8.3 or .8.4)

Seeing the software update history with the new icon from the control screen, which includes release notes which seem to load much more quickly than from tapping the T from the main screen, is welcomed also.

23E8D3A8-CC91-455A-9DBA-3FDA5649C904.jpeg
Wow maybe this preheat does make a difference

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing