Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah.. but if I walk out to the car 20 min later... the screen is dead and powering up with the T logo.. and if I press on the brake... sometimes I'll get the "Please wait systems are powering up" for 1 min... maybe 30 sec... sometimes 2 to 5 min..

This is crap and B$.. this NEVER used to happen

UPDATE: even after no USB stick walked out to the car this morning with activating the climate CC from the app 10min previous and ICU screen was dead... took about a min for it to wake up to the T logo. Marked the time and closed the door and walked back in the house (7:20am)

Then, walked back out 15 min later (7:35) and noticed the car was STILL ON (lights and music was boomin!! WTF???) FOB is completely out of range... put the FOB down and took this vid..

BTW... if I was to pull into a parking lot or anywhere, someone could have walked up to my car and opened the door, etc and had a free for all! :eek: :eek: :eek: Called Tesla and they are "looking into it"

After my car left the SC it had 16.1.1 and on my way to work the AP seemed to work the same as before. Visually it seemed to identify more cars on the road than before (not sure about this). Once I got to work it wanted to install 16.2, which I accepted. I'll see how it goes on my way home. I like the UI changes. Things also seem to be moving faster than before.

Here is a follow up on my "quality time" with the browser.

Like most, I received 16.1.1 last Friday night, and 16.2 Wednesday night.

Long story short, the browser is again usable for me. Not perfect, still need some workaround now and then, but what a difference. :eek:

- it's way faster in loading pages. Either on 3G or Wifi. With the sketchpad in background, it's arguably "fast".
- it's solid. It did not stall/block any more, and no reboot required at any time to unblock it. Each time a site would seem to fail (e.g. Waze often), entering some keyword in the address bar to trigger the Google search has worked every time so far to move away from the apparently crashed site.
- it is still capricious when it comes to sites needing GPS location. Sites needing location prompt the browser for user approval. Not always and even if it prompts and you grant it, it may still fail to load the site. So still some conditions creating issue when the location is required.
- it still benefits a lot from "disabling" the navigation, using the Sketch pad trick. So if I want to browse sites, I open first the sketchpad. If it is just to have Waze assisting my drive, no need for the sketchpad.

So excellent progress, as I can again use Waze, even on 1h drives with nav, it does not crash anymore.

Good job Tesla team, thanks.:)

Reactions: aerodyne
I’m surprised to see nobody complaining about AP going from 2018.50.6 to 2019.16.1.1. All of the bad behaviors that were fixed in late 2018 versions came back. Today, with AP set to a following distance of 7, I got a phantom braking episode with the (accelerating) car well ahead of me turning red on the instrument panel screen.
The car is once again unsure about whether to drift into turning lanes on highways. It has a harder time staying in the lane as well.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I’m surprised to see nobody complaining about AP going from 2018.50.6 to 2019.16.1.1. All of the bad behaviors that were fixed in late 2018 versions came back. Today, with AP set to a following distance of 7, I got a phantom braking episode with the (accelerating) car well ahead of me turning red on the instrument panel screen.
The car is once again unsure about whether to drift into turning lanes on highways. It has a harder time staying in the lane as well.

Well, I'd hazard a guess it's because not everybody else has experienced these problems, for whatever reason.

My car has been on 2019.12.1.1, 2019.16.1.1, and 2019.16.2. I haven't had any of these problems (in fact my upgrades have been amazingly uneventful), but I'd be pretty annoyed if this happened.

Bruce.

Reactions: David29

Same as Bruce for me. Sorry to read about regression for you.

AP is still the same for me, so great, with two typical AP issues still not fixed for me

- Phantom braking in this one particular event: I'm catching up two or more cars/trucks, that are on the right lane. The first vehicle decides to change to my lane. AP will notice it (it turns light grey), and adapt to that slower car. BUT as soon as that car is completely in front of me, and thus the other car in the right lane becomes visible to AP, AP locks on it too (turns also light grey), and because I'm actually catching up to that vehicle at that time, AP brakes hard, thinking it has to keep distance to it too (while it should not, as it is not in my lane). If I let AP do it's stuff, it thus brakes hard (not nice for people behind us), and a second or two later, it unlocks from that vehicle (turn dark gray again) and resume acceleration, as that hard braking left much space in front of me. I know the situation and work around it by keeping my foot on the accelerator, so effectively preventing AP from managing the "throttle".

- Hill crests. Though it improved begin of 2018, it still will veer to left or right on most "hills", even if it is a clear straight road ahead. Same as above, known scenario, so ready to take over.

I still hope Tesla fixes those, I think it's doable, but I understand it's probably lower in their backlog.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Here is a follow up on my "quality time" with the browser.

Like most, I received 16.1.1 last Friday night, and 16.2 Wednesday night.

Long story short, the browser is again usable for me. Not perfect, still need some workaround now and then, but what a difference. :eek:

- it's way faster in loading pages. Either on 3G or Wifi. With the sketchpad in background, it's arguably "fast".
- it's solid. It did not stall/block any more, and no reboot required at any time to unblock it. Each time a site would seem to fail (e.g. Waze often), entering some keyword in the address bar to trigger the Google search has worked every time so far to move away from the apparently crashed site.
- it is still capricious when it comes to sites needing GPS location. Sites needing location prompt the browser for user approval. Not always and even if it prompts and you grant it, it may still fail to load the site. So still some conditions creating issue when the location is required.
- it still benefits a lot from "disabling" the navigation, using the Sketch pad trick. So if I want to browse sites, I open first the sketchpad. If it is just to have Waze assisting my drive, no need for the sketchpad.

So excellent progress, as I can again use Waze, even on 1h drives with nav, it does not crash anymore.

Good job Tesla team, thanks.:)

As you can use the Waze, I have tried and it stays in the account and never succeeds.

I'm still waiting for 16.2!! :eek: Sitting on full signal WiFi for the last 3 days and nothing, then yesterday we stopped to eat at the Habit and parked in the Burbank SC and I made sure that I was connected to their WiFi for almost 2hrs.... nothing.

Ohh well... sooner or later I'll get it (by then 16.3 will be out! :p)

I actually got terrible charging speeds at the supercharger both times :( Not sure if it was a software issue or a supercharger that was only putting out very limited power.

My only supercharging after 2019.16.1.1 was also slower overall.

I am on 1019.16.1.1 697c2ff and I supercharged on Thursday 5/23/19 and was very pleased with the SC experience.

I was most impressed with how long the output stayed at 118 kW. Usually after several seconds it will taper down. In this case it felt like I got like 2 minutes at 118 kW which is probably a record in my 4 years of ownership.

I arrived with 30 miles miles of rated range and left 10 min later with 90 miles. (This is as per TeslaFi.. I actually remember leaving after 7 minutes of charging, but TeslaFi knows best!)

Maybe not record breaking but I was pleased. I only needed 10 extra miles or 40 total miles to make it to my destination so hung out a bit more bc the miles were accumulating so rapidly and figured I’d grab some miles for emergency around town driving.

In short.. I don’t Think it’s the firmware, I think it is supercharger condition and battery SOC that is to blame.

I am on 1019.16.1.1 697c2ff and I supercharged on Thursday 5/23/19 and was very pleased with the SC experience.

I was most impressed with how long the output stayed at 118 kW. Usually after several seconds it will taper down. In this case it felt like I got like 2 minutes at 118 kW which is probably a record in my 4 years of ownership.

I arrived with 30 miles miles of rated range and left 10 min later with 90 miles. (This is as per TeslaFi.. I actually remember leaving after 7 minutes of charging, but TeslaFi knows best!)

Maybe not record breaking but I was pleased. I only needed 10 extra miles or 40 total miles to make it to my destination so hung out a bit more bc the miles were accumulating so rapidly and figured I’d grab some miles for emergency around town driving.

In short.. I don’t Think it’s the firmware, I think it is supercharger condition and battery SOC that is to blame.

When your charging completed, do you recall your Soc and what percentage the IC showed? Any pre/post update change?