Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been a while since AP1 Tesla S cars have received any updates after 2020.20,1
I see from TeslaFi that 6 cars have received 2020.20.12. I wonder what distinguishes them from regular "old" Tesla S to warrant a special update?

Some of the newer updates enable users to leave the door unlocked in their home garage. That would be a nice option to have.

Really tempted to get a new Tesla S that has 402 miles range and is capable of FSD but very hard to justify as our 2015 Tesla S 85 has only 20K miles and looks brand new. It does seem that the HW platform on new 2020 Tesla S (Camera, CPU, MCU etc.) has stabilized for all future SW capabilities.

Reactions: SmartElectric
It has been a while since AP1 Tesla S cars have received any updates after 2020.20,1
I see from TeslaFi that 6 cars have received 2020.20.12. I wonder what distinguishes them from regular "old" Tesla S to warrant a special update?

Some of the newer updates enable users to leave the door unlocked in their home garage. That would be a nice option to have.

Really tempted to get a new Tesla S that has 402 miles range and is capable of FSD but very hard to justify as our 2015 Tesla S 85 has only 20K miles and looks brand new. It does seem that the HW platform on new 2020 Tesla S (Camera, CPU, MCU etc.) has stabilized for all future SW capabilities.

I know the feeling, it is tempting. Esp since I am missing some options that are now std, like BWDM, MCU2, powered lift gate, fog lights, cold wx package.

But the 402 number is misleading as you won't get that on the highway. In fact my calculations show highway rated range is only about 30% more than an 85D.

Faster SuC speeds would be nice. I did see a slight increase in speed after the 20.1 update.

Mine has only 35k miles and I think looks as good as many of the newer cars.

With tax it would be 40k to upgrade. I am saving it for a Cybertruck.

I think people are responsible for entering in their car details and those installs are that people entered in their car details wrong on the Teslafi account webpage. There is always at least 2 people who get the latest update with their AP1 cars and my guess is that they really have AP2.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and RobK
Speaking of updates, just got notification for 2020.24.6.1
hmmm, don't see any AP1's with it...
Read the thread in software updates, whole lot about side cameras, pretty well useless looking over there as they are mainly model 3 owners
guinea pig again? sure. will post changes in a bit

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

I actually don’t see the benefit to a newer model. Maybe because I have the facelift version with AP1 so I have things like fog lights and powered lift gate. But TACC and Autosteer are all I need. NOA doesn’t interest me. Also it sounds like anything after AP1 doesn’t have speed limit recognition which I really like. I would like to have the streaming video services for SuC stops and the Caraoke is fun I guess. And I’d like to know that my MCU isn’t about to fail at any moment but otherwise I don’t see the calculus making sense.

Last edited:
I actually don’t see the benefit to a newer model. Maybe because I have the facelift version with AP1 so I have things like fog lights and powered lift gate. But TACC and Autosteer are all I need. NOA doesn’t interest me. Also it sounds like anything after AP1 doesn’t have speed limit recognition which I really like. I would like to have the streaming video services for SuC stops and the Caraoke is fun I guess. And I’d like to know that my MCU isn’t about to fail at any moment but otherwise I don’t see the calculus making sense.

Our 2015 P85D+ is pre-facelift but has all the options including fog lights, HID headlights (better than newer LEDs), powered lift gate, speed limit recognition, and free lifetime Supercharging. We could care less about streaming video services for SuC stops and the Caraoke since our iPhones & iPads have this. Our MCU 1.0 is S_L_O_W or freezes sometimes, but a $2,500 MCU 2.0 upgrade is $50,000 less than comparably equipped new "Raven" Model S Performance would cost.

We'll consider a new Tesla when a new (not just facelift) Performance Model S with FSD actually exists. In the meantime enjoying our paid off P85D+ with it's 4-year Tesla extended service agreement... and hoping a new Model S arrives before our warranty runs out.

Well, couple of weird things happened to me after upgrading to 24.6.1

All of my navigation history and favorites were lost. Even the home and work locations.

Voice control isn’t working. It gives an error.

I’ll try the two finger reboot later to see if anything changes.

Attachments

• 3DB8B065-FDA9-4674-83FB-5D3B8B48C90D.jpeg
    3DB8B065-FDA9-4674-83FB-5D3B8B48C90D.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 51
With tax it would be 40k to upgrade. I am saving it for a Cybertruck.

Wow, I guess I'm not the only "classic" Model S owner who would otherwise upgrade to a newer S, but prefers the Cybertruck instead.
Tesla unknowingly "Osborned" their premium line up in my opinion, how could they know Cybertruck would be a compelling replacement for a Model S?!?!

Reactions: GSP and aerodyne
Well, couple of weird things happened to me after upgrading to 24.6.1

All of my navigation history and favorites were lost. Even the home and work locations.

Voice control isn’t working. It gives an error.

I’ll try the two finger reboot later to see if anything changes.

Let us know... for those that have MCU1 and long for updates, consider the next one could be the kiss of death for your emmc chip.