Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 Speed Limit, Please Explain.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just took delivery of my 2014 MS with AP1. On the ride home it seemed that I could pretty much set autopilot to whatever speed I wanted (65mph highway). But now, AP1 is limiting me to only 5mph above the posted speed. Did I accidentally mess up the settings or is this normal?

So I just took delivery of my 2014 MS with AP1. On the ride home it seemed that I could pretty much set autopilot to whatever speed I wanted (65mph highway). But now, AP1 is limiting me to only 5mph above the posted speed. Did I accidentally mess up the settings or is this normal?
No. On roads that Tesla designates as divided you can set it to whatever you want over your personal limit settings, up to 90. On other roads you are limited to the max you set in settings.

I have an AP1 car. It's up to 90 on divided highways, but I'm sorry to say it's 5 over on secondary roads, a hard limit with no adjustability. This make it useless under most circumstances on secondary roads, but I think that was intentional by Tesla.

One other thing to watch for. AP1 doesn't like sharp hill crests that it can't see over -- the kind you mostly get on secondary roads. It might swerve going over the crest. Be prepared to grab it.

• Helpful
Reactions: AronAZ
I have an AP1 car. It's up to 90 on divided highways, but I'm sorry to say it's 5 over on secondary roads, a hard limit with no adjustability. This make it useless under most circumstances on secondary roads, but I think that was intentional by Tesla.

One other thing to watch for. AP1 doesn't like sharp hill crests that it can't see over -- the kind you mostly get on secondary roads. It might swerve going over the crest. Be prepared to grab it.

This is definitely something to be very cognizant of. At least in my experience, it’s not a gradual swerve but pretty aggressive where you need to catch it immediately. I don’t use AP much on secondary roads but if I am and I see hills, I disable AP. The same thing will happen on the bottom of the hills sometimes.

Also, I’m sure aware (OP) but AP won’t stop for stationary vehicles. There’s many posts about close calls and accidents with stationary vehicles but it’s something to be aware of.

Congrats on the purchase!