Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone gets a fix for this, please post it here. I'm currently hoping a software patch will come to remedy this.
There is a new update 17.14.23 and according to ppl who received the update, their cars are in SC while receiving the update. I called SC and will bring my car in tomorrow. Hopefully they will fix the autopilot issues.

There is a new update 17.14.23 and according to ppl who received the update, their cars are in SC while receiving the update. I called SC and will bring my car in tomorrow. Hopefully they will fix the autopilot issues.

The even number middle digit (the week of the year) indicates that this is for AP1, unfortunately. As does Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker. Soon I hope.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I don't think that's been true for a while. It's simply the week number, and TeslaFi and EV-FW show it going out to AP1, AP2, and pre-AP cars.
If you count "for a while" meaning about 3 weeks, then yes. Even was AP1 and odd was AP2 for months, until it wasn't. If you weren't paying attention, then you wouldn't have noticed either trend. I noticed both right away, but didn't notice the week # thing (I just learned it right now here from this thread). At first, that made me think the first two digits might be the year, but Model S hasn't been around for 17 years. I agree TeslaFi shows it for all 3 hardware types: 2 are in UK and 1 is in Sweden (lots of messy places). EV-FW doesn't support that conclusion yet; they don't have enough data.

But, yes, I hope "this is the one", but it will be a while before anybody knows, of course. 3 in UK is hardly a wide release. Of course, I noticed a trend that they like to release them during the evening, so maybe tonight is the night.

I took a second look at the first two digits, and I found a correspondence between "17" and "2017". I know, most baby boomers would have noticed that right away. I never used two digit years because I knew they're not portable, so I'm uniquely unable to see that.

Last edited:
If you count "for a while" meaning about 3 weeks, then yes. Even was AP1 and odd was AP2 for months, until it wasn't. If you weren't paying attention, then you wouldn't have noticed either trend. I noticed both right away, but didn't notice the week # thing (I just learned it right now here from this thread). At first, that made me think the first two digits might be the year, but Model S hasn't been around for 17 years. I agree TeslaFi shows it for all 3 hardware types: 2 are in UK and 1 is in Sweden (lots of messy places). EV-FW doesn't support that conclusion yet; they don't have enough data.

But, yes, I hope "this is the one", but it will be a while before anybody knows, of course. 3 in UK is hardly a wide release. Of course, I noticed a trend that they like to release them during the evening, so maybe tonight is the night.

I took a second look at the first two digits, and I found a correspondence between "17" and "2017". I know, most baby boomers would have noticed that right away. I never used two digit years because I knew they're not portable, so I'm uniquely unable to see that.

Good news if even / odd no longer holds. Spent the weekend without my car due to a flat (nobody had the replacement except tesla and they closed 3 PM Saturday until this morning), but drove home from the SC tonight with zero convenience features.

Would a trip to the SC help? I thought it was a firmware issue that we have to wait for an update to fix.

I've got a 6 hour road trip this Saturday, and I'm going to be irritated if I have no cruise control at all.

You could try my 'fix' from an earlier post if you haven't already - still working ok after a couple of weeks now:
::::::::::
Here's what I did if you'd like to give it a try!

On centre screen turn headlights to 'Off'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'Off'
E-Brake - 'Power Off' the vehicle
Wait 1 minute
Press Footbrake to 'Power On'
Driver assistance - turn everything to 'On'
Headlights - switch to 'Auto'

That's it!

I repeated this twice as I didn't notice that it fixed it first time around so if once doesn't do the job try it once or twice again!

The clue that it had worked was that my location Speed Limit sign appeared in the driver display ( this had disappeared along with TACC and Autosteer)
:::::::::::::
Good luck!

You could try my 'fix' from an earlier post if you haven't already - still working ok after a couple of weeks now:

Wait 1 minute

That's it!

I repeated this twice as I didn't notice that it fixed it first time around so if once doesn't do the job try it once or twice again!

The clue that it had worked was that my location Speed Limit sign appeared in the driver display ( this had disappeared along with TACC and Autosteer)
Good luck!

Didn't work for me. The power off doesn't reboot the computers, at least in my case, which seemed weird - when the brake is pushed the screens just come back on.

Didn't work for me. The power off doesn't reboot the computers, at least in my case, which seemed weird - when the brake is pushed the screens just come back on.
Agreed - didn't seem to do much actual powering off with mine either. The functionality seemed to return to the camera, radar etc when the driver assistance features were turned back on - and then only when the auto lights weren't showing as being 'on'.

Sadness; I think I just fell victim – had great AP2 performance for 1 day after calibration, but today, the camera will only recognize my current lane (no adjacent lane lines) and every time I engage AP the car pulls hard to the right and goes over the right side lane line.

Reached out to service but I'm guessing I am going to be waiting for that new update.

Sadness; I think I just fell victim – had great AP2 performance for 1 day after calibration, but today, the camera will only recognize my current lane (no adjacent lane lines) and every time I engage AP the car pulls hard to the right and goes over the right side lane line.

Reached out to service but I'm guessing I am going to be waiting for that new update.
I'm pretty sure that's entirely different than what almost all of us in this thread are experiencing; I strongly urge you to treat that as unique and entirely distinct from what this thread is discussing. I don't think the fix to what we're experiencing will fix your issue, but I never know.

E.g., what we're experiencing will not allow us to engage autopilot. It just doesn't exist. Nothing. No pulling to the right, no current lane, no speed limit signs -- nothing. (Another attribute is that it is intermittent -- after some power-ups, it exists, for a while, then poof! Nothing.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: chillaban
I'm pretty sure that's entirely different than what almost all of us in this thread are experiencing; I strongly urge you to treat this as unique and entirely distinct from what this thread is discussing. I don't think the fix to what we're experiencing will fix your issue, but I never know.

E.g., what we're experiencing will not allow us to engage autopilot. It just doesn't exist. Nada. No pulling to the right, no current lane -- nothing.

Thanks — you might be right. At any rate, I've reached out to service to see what they say.

Reactions: Ulmo

Wait 1 minute

That's it!

Good luck!

Okay, I did this and nothing BUT I decided to change it up.

Instead of Powering off, reboot the center screen AND the IC. When the system came back up I went to go enable all the driver assistance stuff and it was already enabled. Freaky right? I started driving and everything was working!!!!!

Oh what a beautiful drive home it was!

Instead of Powering off, reboot the center screen AND the IC. When the system came back up I went to go enable all the driver assistance stuff and it was already enabled. Freaky right? I started driving and everything was working!!!!!

Ok, I'll try this. I tried the other and it didn't work. Also tried rebooting dashboard and didn't work either.

Today on 17.11.10, across 6 drives, my AP2 features were working the whole time, as far as I know. I was aware of them frequently during many parts of my drive, so I do not recollect them not working today at all. Previously, they had failed on 17.11.10 and 17.11.3, and the failure covered around 80% to 90% of my drives. I do not know if the bug is still intermittent, or has been cured somehow. I have no idea if a hacker hacked in, broke it, and then figured out how to fix their hack to unbreak it but still maintain control of my car, or if it was some other sort of Tesla bug.

Last edited:

I was able to get mine working this way for one more drive, and since then it's been not working again. Hopefully yours keeps on going.