Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 / 8.1 : "Cruise Not Available"-AP intermittently not working in 17.11.{3,10} versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deep reboot as i understand it:
Power the car off through the control panel.
Wait atleast 5 minutes:
while pressing the brake down, press and hold both center buttons on the steering column
When the T appears release and you are rebooted.
The key is power off and apply the brake during the process.

I tried Powering off through the control panel.
Waited 5 minutes.
Pressed and held the brake down, pressed and held both center buttons on the steering column for 30 seconds.
When the T appeared, it was rebooted. Went for a drive:

Still says "cruise unavailable" !!!
No updated firmware yet. I don't have much hope it will work:(

So I spoke with my CSR and he told each release they have gotten more and more stringent on the calibration of the cameras. I have an appointment tomorrow to see if he's right.

When my AP2 car works, the cameras are great, they see the road better than my AP1 car. Tesla emailed me today saying there is a firmware update coming in 7-10 days to fix the AP2 "cruise not available" problem. They said the other updates released recently did not have anything do do with the, "cruise not available problem" and that is why they did not help. I called my local service center to see if I should bring it in and they said they also just got notified a fix is coming by firmware update in 7-10 days, and not to bring it in yet. Hopefully the problem has a solution.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
When my AP2 car works, the cameras are great, they see the road better than my AP1 car. Tesla emailed me today saying there is a firmware update coming in 7-10 days to fix the AP2 "cruise not available" problem. They said the other updates released recently did not have anything do do with the, "cruise not available problem" and that is why they did not help. I called my local service center to see if I should bring it in and they said they also just got notified a fix is coming by firmware update in 7-10 days, and not to bring it in yet. Hopefully the problem has a solution.
I am not sure if we are having the same issues. My AP stoped working right after 8.1 was released. I have driven 2000miles after that, TACC(not autopilot) worked 3 times during that 2000miles. I also found many of us are all having same error message "cruise not available" but the detailed symptoms are not the same. Mainly there are 3 categories: 1. No AP at all. 2. No AP but with intermittent TACC. 3. intermittent AP. I think number 3 should more like a camera alignment issue rather than firmware issue. But I hope the new update which coming in 7-10days (fingers crossed) will fix all of these issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
I am not sure if we are having the same issues. My AP stoped working right after 8.1 was released. I have driven 2000miles after that, TACC(not autopilot) worked 3 times during that 2000miles. I also found many of us are all having same error message "cruise not available" but the detailed symptoms are not the same. Mainly there are 3 categories: 1. No AP at all. 2. No AP but with intermittent TACC. 3. intermittent AP. I think number 3 should more like a camera alignment issue rather than firmware issue. But I hope the new update which coming in 7-10days (fingers crossed) will fix all of these issues.
My AP2 worked until 8.1. Since then its been on and off. When its on its all on, TACC, Autostear, Auto on headlights etc. When its off no AP2 at all. I contacted the service center and they are able to look at the logs to see if its hardware related. I am told mine is Firmware. Waiting on the fix.

• Informative
Reactions: JoeZ and Ulmo
My car ap2 started working. Tuned off power saving hoping if the car did not shut down it would keep working. Nope stopped working while I was in a cafe for an hour.
Still love the car. Its so much fun to drive!! Efficient! I do miss the convenience features. I know that they will fix this and more improvements are on the way.
It feels like they are taking a pause to get it together and surge forward.

I'm not going to speculate what they actually did, but from what I understood by talking to a person on the phone, they just clean up some artifacts that get created by third party apps. Those apps wake up the car too ofter which causes the issue with Autopilot (explanation from Tesla service person).
I think it just feel up the disk space with the logs and AP fails to initialize itself because it might need some free disk space to do it.

They told me they are "going to fix it in the next firmware update" :)

I'm not sure why they could not get to a bottom of it for over a month because it sounds like a simple fix.

All those ECUs that got replace sounds like an expensive hard drive clean up - new units don't have any junk files. :)

Have some positive news. My AP2 "Cruise not available" was fixed through over the air update from Tesla SC (similar to @dennis_d). The SC mentioned that this was a temporary fix until the FW fix comes through (which they expect in the next few days). The person mentioned that they reset / cleared the bootloader from my car remotely.

It seems this fix is not known by many SCs. I would encourage each of you to follow up with your SC and ask them about this bootloader reset thing.

It's only been few hours but my car seems to be working fine after this remote over the air fix.

• Informative
Reactions: travis010 and JoeZ

I fall into category 3. Intermittent everything(3 out of 15 starts so far) when everything worked before the AEB update. I went to the SC yesterday and my cameras and radar are aligned and in perfect order. I was told that several releases ago I had an update that "failed" even though everything seemed to work. Whatever update that was should have killed my ability to use AP but because of the "failure" mine has continued to work until this last AEB update. I spoke directly to the technician in Houston, he said that something during boot up is reporting I do not have HW2 cameras and it block the AP software from loading. He also let me know there is a Tesla Service bulletin about this issue that was put out last night(5/1) that is getting updated hourly. Apparently this means that lots of people are working to solve it quickly. In the end I got the same as everyone else move along wait for the new software. 3-7 days. He did say since my car had been in for the issue my VIN would be flagged to get the release asap.

Last edited:
Thankfully my car is still working fine. I reported this earlier in the thread, but thought I would update since I got 17.11.45 the other day and everything still works. My situation was that after 17.11.3 AP worked for about 3 or 4 days and then quit working for about 2 weeks. I had a couple drives where things worked during that period, but each time it would crap out again the next time I drove somewhere. Then out of the blue it started working again and has been working fine ever since (knock on wood). I just got 17.11.45 a few days ago.

I'll believe it when I see it. I called Tesla's 877 number on the way home (my third or fourth call on the issue) and this time the rep seemed totally clueless on the issue. Infuriating.

Update: I did get a call back from him today because engineering were trying and failing to access my car because of a flaky connection to my corporate wifi. I'll see on the drive home if anything was done.