Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 advantages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When does the community think that the advantages of HW2 will start to show? I understand it's reached near parity now but I can't decide when to trade up....

I think you'll see the AP2 cars doing some things better within the next couple of months - and maybe doing everything as well or better in six months or so.

Personally, I'm waiting for functional FSDC I think. Lots of good changes clearly coming in the next several months - switch to 2170 cells (presumably with price drop and/or capacity increase,) conversion to Xavier for AP, with or without sensor package changes (60% more processing power on 12% of the power requirement,) adjustments to S/X in the wake of 3 production (incorporating any interesting new features, adjusting pricing/content/margin in the light of the 3 release.)

At speeds above 65 hw2 ping pongs on turns. Any turn. They aren't that close in terms of performance. They are only close on paper.

I am seeing a lot of people posting issues on curves at high speed with HW2. I am flat out not seeing that at all. Early versions of the firmware had a ping pong effect even at 45 and 55 when they raised it but since 8.1, it is dead locked in the middle of the lane with no seeking/ping ponging at all. That's is during curves or straight. I still have a bit of the dancing lines going on, but the car stays dead center. I am also not seeing any phantom braking for overpasses anymore and even on surface streets I have seen a lot of improvements. Specific areas where the car would dive across double yellow lines now does not. There is actually more ping-ponging at lower speeds on roads that either have bad markings or wide roads. It still wants to go into turn out lanes on local roads even when the lead car is going straight, so it still has some issues. The fact is, Autopilot should not be used on roads with lots of intersections. Most of the complaints I have seen are people expecting it to work in areas where it flat out should not be used.

It could be that there are a lot of Tesla's around where I am driving so they have more raw data, but I am not seeing nearly as many problems as many have posted.

Test drove an AP2 car yesterday with 8.1 and it handled auto steer duties very well, including curves at a set 70 mph (I was in the number 1/far left lane). Corners handled well and stayed centered.

Only tried auto lane change once and it was clunky and hesitant- though admittedly the car in front of me in the number two lane that I was changing into left that lane just as I was trying to move into it. I think the AP got a little confused. Anyhow lane change worked in the end. Just a bit clunky. Didn't use it again so could have been more of a one-off - or not, dunno.

I tested my S using AP2 yesterday.I was on stretch of our freeway 280 here yesterday. Had it set to 75. It did a good job. Used the auto lane change multiple times with no issues.

I was on that same 280 freeway yesterday too (up near Los Altos Hills) when I tried AP2.

Good to know auto lane change worked well for you and that my semi-clunky experience with that function was most likely an abnormality.

You cant pay anyone else to give you AP1 or AP2 because other cars just do not have it. And if you can find one, you have what they give you, it wont get any better over the life of the car. People complain so much without really realizing what they have. Its almost like the more you give someone, the more they expect you to give them. I have never owned a car, and do believe any others exist, where you can wake up in the morning and have to capabilities. I was not sold that AP2 would be better day one then AP1, I was sold that it would eventually be better. I don't have enough experience with AP1 but I have seen about 100 videos and I am not seeing much difference. One thing that does piss me off is the lack of AEB. Its features like AEB and automatically correcting for lane departures that I really NEED vs want. I am pretty sure if you asked Tesla, they would say they wanted those done first as well, but my guess is that its harder to then lane keeping auto steer and TACC.

Reactions: bhzmark
I am seeing a lot of people posting issues on curves at high speed with HW2. I am flat out not seeing that at all. Early versions of the firmware had a ping pong effect even at 45 and 55 when they raised it but since 8.1, it is dead locked in the middle of the lane with no seeking/ping ponging at all. That's is during curves or straight. I still have a bit of the dancing lines going on, but the car stays dead center. I am also not seeing any phantom braking for overpasses anymore and even on surface streets I have seen a lot of improvements. Specific areas where the car would dive across double yellow lines now does not. There is actually more ping-ponging at lower speeds on roads that either have bad markings or wide roads. It still wants to go into turn out lanes on local roads even when the lead car is going straight, so it still has some issues. The fact is, Autopilot should not be used on roads with lots of intersections. Most of the complaints I have seen are people expecting it to work in areas where it flat out should not be used.

It could be that there are a lot of Tesla's around where I am driving so they have more raw data, but I am not seeing nearly as many problems as many have posted.

Respectfully I disagree. On interstate 80 and 50 between San Francisco and Tahoe I have ran autosteer in pretty much every mile of road. I'd say that does not fit the category of "people expecting it to work in areas where it flat out should not be used." These are probably some of the most autopiloted roads in the world with the Tesla (bay area) It has issues tracking tight corners and phantom breaks under bridges / underpasses regularly (happened about 6 times between SF and Sacramento the other day). The cornering lane keeping is not perfect by any means. Even on slight corners, it is either wide left (on right turns) or wide right (on left turns) pretty regularly. While these are not deal breakers, I have been ran out of the lane on several turns and had to swerve back into lane to avoid collission and on a couple other occasions where there was some room between the lane and the median I let the car do it, which is surprisingly quick to react which is impressive. I do believe people should be made aware of and tread carefully when using the new features.

We're at the tipping point right now.

AP2 still lacks quite a few features, but it now uses 2 front cameras for AP.

Hopefully someone like Cali (who has both) can do an AP showdown soon.

I'm in Wisconsin driving a rental 2015 70D - new 60D was delivered night before last to the house in California and I've been begging my girlfriend for a comparison ever since. Just now got a brief cell phone video of the new car - she did not know anything about AP2's problems - and keeps making comments in the video about "what is WRONG with autopilot in this car" hee hee. I'll try to post the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Just got back the report that the new car (air springs & premium seats) is noticeably smoother over our crummy California pavement - and also quieter - less road noise - than the 2016 (coils & next gen seats). Not sure it's a fair comparison because the 2016 70D has over 20K miles on original tires vs the 2017 have 0 miles on the tires. For a fair comparison I should put brand new tires, the same as the 2017 - on the 2016 - and then go for a drive.

First drive report of my 2017 60D with AP2 - cellphone video from my girlfriend. She did not know there is any difference in performance between AP1 and AP2 (I forgot to tell her). So no bias from her - listen to her comments. She's using AP2 on some surface streets where AP1 has always been fine.

Screenshot 2017-04-01 at 8.23.19 PM.png

Sister Teslas - same color in both, so boring - but a loaded 60D popped up with the ventilated seats and the post-small-overlap-improvement build date - so I grabbed it despite it being midnight silver/black (I'd prefer white/white - oh well, next time). That's the best comparo shot I have - when I fly home I'll take more. But this may be the last time they're ever together - transporter will pick one up next week to haul to the great frozen north.