Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2/EAP Lane lines wiggle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can hardly believe there isn't a thread on this yet, but could not find one by search, so here goes!

Informed speculation please: with AP2 in any active mode (TACC, Autosteer) the depiction of the road has wiggling/jittery/unstable depictions of lane boundaries. Why would this continue for the past several FW versions? (currently on 17.9.3)

I mean, clearly there is software filtering to produce short term stabilization that is either lacking, detuned or inadequate. What purpose would Tesla AP team have in releasing SW with such behavior?

1.To explicitly/visually communicate NOT to trust the AP sensors?
2. Because the internal SW/filtering/hw needs serious refining and thy pushed it out too early?
3. The sensor fusion is so noisy they haven't worked out yet how to replicate AP1 performance levels like MobilEye?

There are many, many threads discussing the wiggle. Just do a search for "wiggle" and sort by date order. In any thread remotely related to AP2 from the past two months the wiggle issue usually comes up.

OP is right. This is the only AP2 thread with "Wiggle" in the title that I found during search.

Since my first experience with AP2 was two days ago, I had to laugh and take a video of what the display was showing. The car and the lanes were behaving as if there was a short in the sensors. AP1 never looked like that. Over the next 40 miles, things have improved. It is odd that the lane lines wiggle when the car is fully stopped.

My understanding was this was a known issue, and Tesla was going to fix it?

What became of the fix?

As to AP1 there is some wiggle at times. Now I don't really see it much on the freeway, but there is definitely indecisiveness at intersections where there isn't much data for it to go off of.

8.1 here, still dancing lines.. But appears to me more of a rendering issue then an actual issue. The car stays locked into the center of the lane. The dancing is less prominent, but still there. It seems to be better at higher speeds actually. Only spent about 20 minutes, but it was nearly flawless and changed lanes with the blinker.

8.1 here, still dancing lines.. But appears to me more of a rendering issue then an actual issue. The car stays locked into the center of the lane. The dancing is less prominent, but still there. It seems to be better at higher speeds actually. Only spent about 20 minutes, but it was nearly flawless and changed lanes with the blinker.

Agreed, it's rock solid except on tight curves, but so so much better and more useful now.

So, back to my original question, which of the three 'reasons' I suggested do you think are why the dancing lines/wiggly lines are still there?

Its sounding to me like #1 (visual clue to not trust the AP too much) and its intentional.

So, back to my original question, which of the three 'reasons' I suggested do you think are why the dancing lines/wiggly lines are still there?

Its sounding to me like #1 (visual clue to not trust the AP too much) and its intentional.

It could be as simple as they just do not have time to fix something that does not impact functionality. It should be something they can fix in time as the car is stable within the lane so it clearly has a very good idea where the actual lane is and is just not using that information to render the display. The display is nothing more then a rendering of what the vision system is seeing and knows/thinks. If you look at nVidia's demos for PX2, you see the exact same issues. Cars ghosting left and right, dancing lines and so on. More likely that Tesla just flat out has not had time to correct the visuals, relying on that part of the out-of-the-box solution as is.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
It could be as simple as they just do not have time to fix something that does not impact functionality. It should be something they can fix in time as the car is stable within the lane so it clearly has a very good idea where the actual lane is and is just not using that information to render the display. The display is nothing more then a rendering of what the vision system is seeing and knows/thinks. If you look at nVidia's demos for PX2, you see the exact same issues. Cars ghosting left and right, dancing lines and so on. More likely that Tesla just flat out has not had time to correct the visuals, relying on that part of the out-of-the-box solution as is.
Possibly. As a pilot there is an analogy: the Flight Director. The FD is a V-pointer or cross bars (+) that lets the pilot visualize where the autopilot is going to take you. (left/right up/down).

If I had a wiggle flight director I would be suspicions that the system was unreliable/about to become unavailable.

Some Kaman filtering or other sensor fusion filtering would easily fix this display. In fact its surely already being done because the car doesn't dance around like the depiction does.

Only sensible reason I can think is to keep the driver a bit "nervous" and not overly trust the AP2, unlike a smooth fluid visualization of the road and surrounding traffic would likely create.

If the car is moving smoothly in the current lane while EAP is operating, then the software is smoothing out the lane detection and/or steering during autosteer.

The dancing lines on the display are a graphical rendering of the lane data - and evidently requires an additional round of processing to smooth out the frame-to-frame differences in the lane detection from the sensors - which isn't as critical as getting the steering working correctly...

Just installed. Within the first few minutes of my drive, I could tell they changed the line rendering algorithm. Still some small dancing, but about 80% improved from 8.0 in my opinion.

AP feels much more solid now after the update, almost unusable before.

Reactions: juice15e
so it's not just my car then, I was wondering if others were still experiencing the wiggly/dancing lines after 8.1 installed. My lines are way more stable, yet still wiggle a bit. Wanted to make sure I don't need to set an appointment ..

AutoSteer is also suffering from the minor side-to-side moves while the car is in motion.

It seems like the software needs to do more averaging of the camera object recognition data - smoothing out the lane display on the dashboard, and getting the steering to act more like an adult driver - than when my son first drove on the Tomorrowland Speedway at Disney World (bouncing the car from side to side)...