Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 MCU1 w/ FSD to MCU2 upgrade available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi G2019,

Many questions...
Despite some tweets, there is no upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2.
Someone here said that their MCU1 was replaced by MCU2 by mistake but it never really worked correctly
and was ultimately replaced by the correct MCU1 which worked correctly...

I believe AP2.0 will be upgraded to AP3.0 IF YOU HAVE PURCHASED FSD.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you meet the prerequisites (AP2 or AP2.5 and FSD) Tesla will contact you when your upgrade is ready to be installed.

Good luck to us all - Someone here has already been updated (a 2019 car)

Shawn

Yes, seemingly correct on all points.

Elon HAD Tweeted that we could upgrade from MCU 1 to 2, but our local SC's have never known anything about this, ever.

FWIW, it may be a "push" to help move us out of our "old" cars into newer models?

Regardless, we do have FSD pre-paid so I hope the new 3.0 HW retrofits begin in earnest soon.

Yes, seemingly correct on all points.

Elon HAD Tweeted that we could upgrade from MCU 1 to 2, but our local SC's have never known anything about this, ever.

FWIW, it may be a "push" to help move us out of our "old" cars into newer models?

Regardless, we do have FSD pre-paid so I hope the new 3.0 HW retrofits begin in earnest soon.
I think there are quite a few people that would be willing to pay out of pocket for MCU2 and other features.

Thanks guys... So we'll have to wait even longer.. Are you able to check on your Tesla account to see if my vehicle is eligible for it although based on my understanding, it is..

Even if AP is upgraded to AP3, MCU will remain as MCU1?

Thanks guys... So we'll have to wait even longer.. Are you able to check on your Tesla account to see if my vehicle is eligible for it although based on my understanding, it is..

Even if AP is upgraded to AP3, MCU will remain as MCU1?

Correct. The AP computer is separate from the MCU, and the AP upgrade is just a simple replacement of a single box with another one designed to fit in the same space and connect to the same connectors and wiring (and possibly some camera/radar module replacements for AP2 cars, we'll have to see.)

Replacing the MCU would mean dealing with the architecture differences somehow - principally that the MCU1 has a separate computer running the instrument panel, while it's a second display of the MCU2 with wiring changes to support that.

Tesla could possibly design a similar drop in replacement, but there's no reason to believe that is happening or will happen - and they can't simply drop a current production MCU2 screen into an MCU1 car with no additional effort.

Correct. The AP computer is separate from the MCU, and the AP upgrade is just a simple replacement of a single box with another one designed to fit in the same space and connect to the same connectors and wiring (and possibly some camera/radar module replacements for AP2 cars, we'll have to see.)

Replacing the MCU would mean dealing with the architecture differences somehow - principally that the MCU1 has a separate computer running the instrument panel, while it's a second display of the MCU2 with wiring changes to support that.

Tesla could possibly design a similar drop in replacement, but there's no reason to believe that is happening or will happen - and they can't simply drop a current production MCU2 screen into an MCU1 car with no additional effort.

Damn I thought if Elon mentioned that FSD owners would get a free upgrade of MCU1 to MCU2. My browser is almost useless on the car. it lags like crazy. also just loading spotify now is not great.

Musk seems to respond to Fred of Electrek’s tweets. If you know how to reach Fred, perhaps he could tweet Musk with a gentle reminder. It seems obvious this promise has been lost in the shuffle as Musk tweets about it go back at least 18 months ago.

About 1 year ago, I had my MCU replaced to fix the yellow border issue. I'm not sure if they replaced MCU1 with another MCU1 or MCU2. The touchscreen did run much faster, and was much more responsive after the replacement. This is what it said on my invoice...

-------------------------
Concern: #VSC[FL] Customer: Customer states there is a yellow border around touchscreen.

Corrections: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen)

Diagnostics show the media control unit is not functioning appropriately. Removed and replaced the media control unit, pushed updated firmware to ensure proper communication, and function tested to confirm concern has been rectified.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

MCU NA PREMIUM - Model S and Model X 1 (1045006-00-D)

Pay Type: Warranty
----------------------------

Any ideas about the part# or type of MCU this would be? Any way to confirm MCU?

• Informative
Reactions: BBone
Has anyone with AP2 MCU1 received an upgrade to MCU2?

Is all AP2.0 being upgraded to AP2.5 or 3?

What is the process to get it upgraded?

If not, what is the timeline to get it upgraded?

Thanks!
Couple fine points.

At least one person on these forums claims to have upgraded themselves from MCU1 to MCU2, it is quite involved and requires replacing the instrument cluster as well as cabling and systems access that the typical owner would not possess. No MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is currently offered by Tesla.

All AP2+ owners who have purchased FSD have been promised an upgrade to HW3, the new Tesla developed autopilot computer. As of yet, nobody knows exactly what that means for AP2 owners. AP2 to AP2.5 involves different cameras, wiring harness and radar, so it remains to be seen if that means AP2 owners will actually receive upgrades to all of those components or just the underlying AP computer.

Tesla has supposedly started the HW3 upgrades, but so far it's a limited set of qualified vehicles which so far are only AP2.5.

If an when an MCU upgrade is available, it will likely be several thousand dollars, I wouldn't count on it being included as part of the HW3 upgrade for FSD.

Musk's tweets hinting to an MCU2 upgrade have always been a little vague and his comments about features being available for AP2+ when he really meant MCU2+, like Dash Cam, have added confusion to the issues.

About 1 year ago, I had my MCU replaced to fix the yellow border issue. I'm not sure if they replaced MCU1 with another MCU1 or MCU2. The touchscreen did run much faster, and was much more responsive after the replacement. This is what it said on my invoice...

-------------------------
Concern: #VSC[FL] Customer: Customer states there is a yellow border around touchscreen.

Corrections: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen)

Diagnostics show the media control unit is not functioning appropriately. Removed and replaced the media control unit, pushed updated firmware to ensure proper communication, and function tested to confirm concern has been rectified.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

MCU NA PREMIUM - Model S and Model X 1 (1045006-00-D)

Pay Type: Warranty
----------------------------

Any ideas about the part# or type of MCU this would be? Any way to confirm MCU?
That is the 2nd generation MCU1, with LTE.

• Informative
Reactions: dsnows and dogldogl
Took delivery of my M X100D with FSD prepaid In March 2018 and it had MCU1.. I was pretty upset as they had just started rolling out cars with MCU2 several weeks after I took delivery. Its getting slower and slower as newer versions come out. Tesla also had to replace my MCU several months ago because it failed (probably the EMMC failure) and they replaced with MCU1 :-(. I hope the HW3 upgrade comes really soon.. its killing me.

Took delivery of my M X100D with FSD prepaid In March 2018 and it had MCU1.. I was pretty upset as they had just started rolling out cars with MCU2 several weeks after I took delivery. Its getting slower and slower as newer versions come out. Tesla also had to replace my MCU several months ago because it failed (probably the EMMC failure) and they replaced with MCU1 :-(. I hope the HW3 upgrade comes really soon.. its killing me.

I picked up a new demo inventory P100D X just 3 months ago and it had mcu1. Build date was March 2018. Was fully loaded with FSD and a steal of a price so I didn't think twice. Always thought there was a upgrade path to the new mcu but sad to hear there isn't one in sight. My Model 3 looks even more advanced now.

I picked up a new demo inventory P100D X just 3 months ago and it had mcu1. Build date was March 2018. Was fully loaded with FSD and a steal of a price so I didn't think twice. Always thought there was a upgrade path to the new mcu but sad to hear there isn't one in sight. My Model 3 looks even more advanced now.

Damn. That must have been one of the last Model Xs with MCU1. MCU2 started in March 2018.

I am in the same boat. I also bought inventory MX100D six months ago. my car was built in March 2018 and has MCU1. Didn't know car has MCU1 when purchased. I hope Tesla start offering paid upgrade for us with relatively new cars.

Honestly i don't think there will be an upgrade path. Also based on Tesla's history I doubt FSD computer will happen anytime soon at least for AP2 and by the time it will most of us will have moved on. Waiting to be proven wrong Tesla.