Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 w/ FSD - sell now and buy HW3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 MX (VIN 17xxx) with AP2 and FSD purchased.

I’m considering selling it while there’s still decent value ($55-60k) before an interior refresh, further HW upgrades, etc. that devalue it even further. And pull out the equity in the car and buy a new MX (with HW3, sentry, etc) that my AP2 does not have.

Or wait for a possible upgrade to HW3 that Elon has promised for all AP2/2.5 with FSD?

What would you do?

Reactions: DanCar
Tesla wants you to sell at the max loss and they'll give retrofit and resell your car for a big profit. I think Tesla will have to do something and that will either allow for a less costly trade in or actual FSD which will boost the value slightly or help maintain it.

My thought is not necessarily just to get HW3 earlier and enjoy things like sentry, but also financially taking the “equity” that’s in the car from my purchase and apply it to a new X - before a ‘16 75D depreciates even further bc of the small battery, before an interior refresh, etc where a 75D with limited range drops from $55-60k value down to $25-35k in a couple years when there are models that can go 400+ miles and my legacy X is stuck at 210mi). Thoughts?

Also going back and forth on whether to sell now, take some equity/cash that’s sitting in the car and applying some of that cash towards a Lease, where monthly cash flow is better/slightly lower payment for a new car, and with a lease don’t have to worry about being left in the dust in 3yrs when tech is exponentially better and newer iterations continue to come out

Reactions: DanCar
I have this same dilemma. I have a '17 MS (AP2.5), so it's mainly MCU1 that's frustrating me. I know I'll get a HW3 upgrade eventually, but I don't know if an MCU upgrade will ever happen. I'm tempted to go for a lease for the lower payments and to be sure this never happens again (we all know it will). I'm hesitant because of the potential future increase in FSD cost.

Do I give up fixed future costs for a refreshed vehicle or do I hold out for an MCU upgrade?

If I am not mistaken, I think the plaid and bigger battery refresh for the Model S/X is coming at the end of this year. So maybe waiting another year to see what happens, is a good idea.

FYI got this from Tesla Service today re: receiving HW3 upgrades to owners with AP2 and 2.5:

“The computer upgrades are being rolled out in specific VIN breaks and it is not yet available for your specific VIN. You will be notified once the upgrade is available for your vehicle. The computer upgrade will not be mobile capable unfortunately, but you will be notified when available to take your vehicle into a service center. Thank you.”