TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP2 w/ FSD - sell now and buy HW3?

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by kewina178, Jan 5, 2020.

1. kewina178

kewina178 Member

I have a 2016 MX (VIN 17xxx) with AP2 and FSD purchased.

I’m considering selling it while there’s still decent value ($55-60k) before an interior refresh, further HW upgrades, etc. that devalue it even further. And pull out the equity in the car and buy a new MX (with HW3, sentry, etc) that my AP2 does not have.

Or wait for a possible upgrade to HW3 that Elon has promised for all AP2/2.5 with FSD?

What would you do?

• Like x 1
  2. diplomat33

diplomat33 Well-Known Member

AP3 upgrades are starting this quarter. Service centers are getting shipments of large numbers of AP3 computers.

• Like x 1
  3. glide

glide Active Member

Sell. Bigger battery and new motor tech is already available.

• Like x 2
  4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

You have just started coming out of the highest depreciation period. Now's the Time to enjoy lower depreciation

• Like x 3
  5. croman

croman Active Member

Tesla wants you to sell at the max loss and they'll give retrofit and resell your car for a big profit. I think Tesla will have to do something and that will either allow for a less costly trade in or actual FSD which will boost the value slightly or help maintain it.

6. kewina178

kewina178 Member

My thought is not necessarily just to get HW3 earlier and enjoy things like sentry, but also financially taking the “equity” that’s in the car from my purchase and apply it to a new X - before a ‘16 75D depreciates even further bc of the small battery, before an interior refresh, etc where a 75D with limited range drops from $55-60k value down to $25-35k in a couple years when there are models that can go 400+ miles and my legacy X is stuck at 210mi). Thoughts?

Also going back and forth on whether to sell now, take some equity/cash that’s sitting in the car and applying some of that cash towards a Lease, where monthly cash flow is better/slightly lower payment for a new car, and with a lease don’t have to worry about being left in the dust in 3yrs when tech is exponentially better and newer iterations continue to come out

• Like x 1
  7. nuronce

nuronce Member

I have a deposit on Rivian, Mach E... we’ll see which comes first HW3 upgrade or one of the other 2

• Funny x 2
  8. emmz0r

emmz0r Senior Software Engineer

Plaid is coming as well, and those advances might trickle down the the standard model. And that will happen before FSD is anywhere near usable and diverging from AutoSteer and NoA.

9. Bballou

Bballou Member

I have this same dilemma. I have a '17 MS (AP2.5), so it's mainly MCU1 that's frustrating me. I know I'll get a HW3 upgrade eventually, but I don't know if an MCU upgrade will ever happen. I'm tempted to go for a lease for the lower payments and to be sure this never happens again (we all know it will). I'm hesitant because of the potential future increase in FSD cost.

Do I give up fixed future costs for a refreshed vehicle or do I hold out for an MCU upgrade?

10. diplomat33

diplomat33 Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, I think the plaid and bigger battery refresh for the Model S/X is coming at the end of this year. So maybe waiting another year to see what happens, is a good idea.

11. kewina178

kewina178 Member

FYI got this from Tesla Service today re: receiving HW3 upgrades to owners with AP2 and 2.5:

“The computer upgrades are being rolled out in specific VIN breaks and it is not yet available for your specific VIN. You will be notified once the upgrade is available for your vehicle. The computer upgrade will not be mobile capable unfortunately, but you will be notified when available to take your vehicle into a service center. Thank you.”

12. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

anything you buy is going to depreciate. a new car will likely depreciate faster than your 2016 which already hit most of its heavy depreciation in the first few years