Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apartment Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!

We just moved to Denver with our Model 3. Previously we charged in the garage with the mobile charger plugged into a 110 volt outlet. It worked fine for as much as we drove.

Our apartment originally said charging would be free but this changed once we got here! They are using Sema Connects network and charging $2.00 / hour parking and $0.50 / kWh.

Question: what rate do you pay for charging in your apartment? Any suggestions on getting them to reconsider this crazy billing rate?

Assuming they’re typical 30A/208v level 2 chargers putting out ~6kw, they’re charging 83 cents per kWh ($2 hourly fee plus 6kwh of electricity at $0.50/kWh = $5 for 6kwh).

in a Model 3 at ~250 wh/mi, that’s 24 miles of range for $5.

Compare that to a 2021 Camry that gets 32mpg combined, and you’re paying the equivalent of $6.67 per gallon of gas.

Of course, they’re probably seeing this benefit as a convenience, and don’t appear to give two squirts about competitive pricing, but you never know. Maybe you’ll get lucky.

I pay $75/month for a detached garage with a 110v wall outlet. The property management company knows that I use the outlet to charge my car, but they don't charge me any additional fees to do so. It's usually enough to get me by -- I took delivery in September this year, and with COVID WFH I drive less than 50 miles most weeks -- but there's a public destination charger about a mile away for the occasion that I need an extra boost.

I did inquire about having an NEMA 14-50 installed in the garage, and made in clear I would be willing to pay for the installation as well as an additional fee to use it, but the manager shot it down. I'm not convinced that they even checked with the management company like they said; probably just too much trouble.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
Have you brought it up with anyone in charge?

I ask because sometimes it's just a communication issue. Maybe they don't know it has a cost associated right now. Maybe the payment is for guests and not residents. That rate is certainly more of a guest usage rate than a resident rate.

It is for a level 2 charger, so your calculations are right. I’ve been opting to Supercharge as it is way cheaper but don’t like that as a long term strategy, especially for battery health.

I brought up the rate and they offered to refund one charge, but we have a long lease so that’s not going to work. I think I need to review this with someone else in the organization.

I am willing to pay for energy but at least charge me close to the residential or commercial rate not something ridiculous! I looked up other apartments and most are listed as free charging.

Any suggestions on getting them to reconsider this crazy billing rate?

By the time that you get their slow moving and incompetent management company to do something sensible, then your presumably 12 month lease will be up. You will want to move regardless.

If you drive your car to where it is empty, and it is a 3 hour charge time once a week, then that comes out to $120 a month. Its not a great rate, but compared with overall rents and living expenses, not that bad.

The people who it really hits are the ones who saw the "5k in gasoline savings" when they bought the car. TLDR you are not going bankrupt, just didn't get a good deal.

Our apartment originally said charging would be free but this changed once we got here! They are using Sema Connects network and charging $2.00 / hour parking and $0.50 / kWh.
That's insane. If you can't get them to budge, check Plugshare and other charging network apps (e.g. ChargePoint) for cheaper alternatives.

If there are reliable CHAdeMO chargers that are much cheaper than using Superchargers (yes there are in my area), you could consider biting the bullet for CHAdeMO Adapter.