Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apartment Gates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried everything to get homelink to work with my community gate (it’s a liftmaster)but have had no luck with the lights flashing to signal a success. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Tried new batteries no luck
  • Tried to be six inches to the left of Tesla symbol at bumper height
  • Tried going to frunk way
  • Tried having car right up against the gate (do I need to be right at the gate for it to work or can I be like 30 feet away to not block others from getting in)
  • Tired holding for over 30 seconds or until it times out on touchscreen in car
I got homelink to work with my garage door opener and didn’t have to be right up against the bumper. Why is community gate so hard. No way

Reactions: Donz_S
I tried everything to get homelink to work with my community gate (it’s a liftmaster)but have had no luck with the lights flashing to signal a success. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Tried new batteries no luck
  • Tried to be six inches to the left of Tesla symbol at bumper height
  • Tried going to frunk way
  • Tried having car right up against the gate (do I need to be right at the gate for it to work or can I be like 30 feet away to not block others from getting in)
  • Tired holding for over 30 seconds or until it times out on touchscreen in car
I got homelink to work with my garage door opener and didn’t have to be right up against the bumper. Why is community gate so hard. No way

Is the gate a pin/switch type remote? The gate at our house has a 10-switch remote and was no issue programming.

The only other suggestion I could provide is try buying a new remote. They are fairly cheap on Amazon or eBay. Not sure if you will have more luck though.

If I buy a new remote wouldn’t it have to learn it which I believe there is no way to access the learn button. I believe I need to go to property mgmt to buy a new remote.

This is the type of remote:
Transmitter Solutions Stingray 418ELPW1V Gate Opener Visor Sized Remote

That remote says it is operating on 418mhz

Non of the home link compatible remotes list 418mhz.

https://homelink.com/assets/downloads/homelink_ukenglish.pdf

Not sure if above is all inclusive.

Tesla purchases the homelink module. Tesla only handles the controlling of the module, not the actual transmitter programming, etc.

If I buy a new remote wouldn’t it have to learn it which I believe there is no way to access the learn button. I believe I need to go to property mgmt to buy a new remote.

This is the type of remote:
Transmitter Solutions Stingray 418ELPW1V Gate Opener Visor Sized Remote

That remote is for a Rolling Code unit (and not a fixed code typical to many complexes). A residential garage opener with a rolling code would have a "Learn" button you need to program Homelink - not sure if a Rolling Code commercial unit works the same way.

It may not be possible to program. Have you asked property management? Many cars have Homelink, they have probably encountered this before.

Yes, coworker in same community but uses a different gate to access his home and it works for his model 3. I can’t use his clicker because my home is not accessible with the gate that he uses. I might swing by my management company office to see if they can swap remotes. Maybe this one is bad. I looked at the back of the remote and it’s this type:

Reactions: Donz_S
Yes, coworker in same community but uses a different gate to access his home and it works for his model 3. I can’t use his clicker because my home is not accessible with the gate that he uses. I might swing by my management company office to see if they can swap remotes. Maybe this one is bad. I looked at the back of the remote and it’s this type:
I'm looking forward to your results, as I'll be encountering similar situation in early February at VA condo.

1. Open the frunk
2. Hold gate remote for 2 seconds at a time, release, 2 more seconds, until headlights flash

i am still having issues with liftmaster at our main community gate. Want to try the steps above. After I open the frunk, do I place the remote in the frunk and start to click on it or do I still need to do it in front of the bumper. Didn't know exactly where I should be holding the remote in this process.

I have a similar issue with my company's rented apartment.

I am able to get the headlights to flash indicating the M3 learn 'something'. But the homelink button on the Model 3 never opens the apartment gates.

I was told that some apartments use specific gates that are not designed to be compatible with HomeLink for security reasons.

I just programmed both my model 3 to a gate. They gave us a generic single remote. It took one try to program my car but multiple tries to program my wife's car. I almost gave up on her car.

I parked in front of the gate near the gate motor, set the mode to Standard, and followed the steps in the car. I placed the remote near and to the left of the emblem. I can see the remote red indicator lit up for 2-3 seconds and then it went away. I continued holding down the button even though the red indicator had turned off. I don't remember seeing the car light flashing. So I continued holding the button. Then I let go and re-pressed the button 2 more times but still no flashes. I went back to the car and realized it already got the signal I just had to save it.

On to my wife's car. I did the same as above but couldn't get it to work. I went back to the car and restarted the whole process. I tried 6 inches to the left of the emblem, then slightly lower near the vertical part of the bumper but still about 6" over to the left. I keep pressing the remote button and then it flashed.

So the lesson here is it varies from car to car. So keep trying I almost gave up on my wife's car but kept trying only because I was able to program mine so easily. GL with yours!