Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

APPALLING quality control; alignment!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jsight: Never a problem. In fact, when I walk into my dealership of choice here (Vandergriff Toyota), all the service advisors KNOW that I hang out with the Service Director. He runs a tight ship...as tight as he possibly can while keeping techs from quitting and earning unemployment. It's not a job I envy.

New Gen 4 Subaru Outbacks needed alignment at an alarming rate. Our 2012 pulled left hard off the lot. Subaru tried to align it 3x, never got it right. Had to go to a local shop, got it dead center, then it worked.

No on can build well anymore. QA is a joke across all industries. Don't get me started.
Our 2011 Tribeca had the front left fender hung wrong so that it didn't line up with the A pillar. I never really pushed it with SOA but I could have. Eventually some ran into that corner when it was parked and the autobody shop fixed the alignment... or that is replaced the fender and aligned it properly.

All of the above, sad but true. The SC’s near me both look pretty sketchy. They cover or frost the service area windows where customers can’t see anything….My personal policy is, if you can’t pull back the curtains, they got something to hide.
I went elsewhere…..
No surprise, Model Y quite out of alignment…
but all good now.
9C003CFA-50EE-4A84-A245-C3C5CE6D8E58.jpeg

I have had my new 2021 Model Y Performance for about 2 weeks. The day I drove it out of the delivery center in Burbank, CA I noticed the steering wheel was slightly cocked to the right. I kept telling myself I was being too picky and to live with it, but I knew I could not (OCD not in control ;) )

If I would center my steering wheel, my car would begin to pull left. If I let go of the steering wheel, my car would begin to pull right so badly that the lane departure warning and lane assist would activate.

Tesla would ONLY cover alignment for the first 100 miles. What total B.S. is this? I mean the drive home on delivery day was almost 50 miles alone. 100 miles is nothing.

Today I called our fav tire and repair shop in Woodland Hills, CA (great family owned shop since 1953). They said the alignment was SO bad, that I would have been needing tires very soon. The alignment technician said he had never, ever seen a brand new car so badly out of alignment.

Steering wheel is now perfect centered, and my new Y no longer pulls to the right!

We go through a lot of cars, and we have never had to have a brand new car with now 450 miles aligned. It should never have left the factory like this. Gross!

On a positive note, the technician said he has never seen a paint job on a Tesla more perfect than mine :)
Just picked up a MYP on the 26th and also noticed that it pulls to the left. I am in the SFV and have an appt with the Van Nuys SC in late April but would rather get it looked at sooner rather than later, which shop in Woodland Hills did you go to? Thanks!

Reactions: Deutsch100
The alignment on my 2012 S was so bad that when the Tesla guy was doing a u turn so each side of the car could be seen in the sun, the Ackerman Effect was making the front wheels sort of pop or skid against their wheel about once every rotation. Didn’t think too much of it. When we left it was clearly pulling to the left and when I punched it, to the right. On the brakes and back to the left. We had about fifteen issues so it was just in the list and they aligned it without providing an alignment before/after. Probably wise. Tesla quality has always been a D+, maybe a C- more recently. That’s sad when Kia or even Ford is like B+.

Reactions: bsd107
If anyone in LA area wants a *perfect* alignment, $150, message Cyrus on Yelp at JC Autohaus in San Gabriel
Or if you’re in OC area, ironically similarly named but unaffiliated, J & C Alignment

Only places I’d go back to over and over again for quality of alignment.
+1 JC Autohaus did the alignment on my MYLR after I had MPP coilovers installed at Parts3xpress nextdoor. Cyrus got my alignment dead nuts on the middle of each adjustment - my car has never steered so well, not even on delivery day.

Reactions: BostonBurley
+1 JC Autohaus did the alignment on my MYLR after I had MPP coilovers installed at Parts3xpress nextdoor. Cyrus got my alignment dead nuts on the middle of each adjustment - my car has never steered so well, not even on delivery day.
My second alignment with Cyrus was today and he was 100% on all measurements, but he returned from a test drive and made adjustments TWICE. He’s obsessed. $150 is a bargain for a perfect alignment.