Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Iphone 8 or X?

Which new Iphone will you preorder?

• Iphone 8

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Iphone 8 Plus

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Iphone X

Votes: 78 83.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I upgrade now, it'll be to the X. Plus a watch now that it's more useful.

However, am tempted to wait for the XS next year since by then presumably there will be an Apple Battery Case for it. Have found that to be quite useful with a 6S and there wasn't one made for the 7/7S iirc.

Plus there will be more accessories in general next year for the X. Not that I can think of any that I'd need.

I'm liking the watch with GPS and LTE since that a means I can leave the phone at home and travel light. The phones are unfortunately heavier and thicker now. When is someone going to do an all carbon fiber feather design? I want to be able to slice onions with it turned sideways and use it as a ninja thowing star if needed.... how often are you saying, dammit! where is my thowing star when i need it? quite a market IMHO. Also does anyone else feel like this iPhone is going full on minority report with this last launch?

Hmm... The Samsung Galaxy S8 I've had for 6 months now has an OLED screen, facial and retina recognition and unlocking, wireless charging, an excellent camera, edge-to-edge screen AND a fingerprint reader on the back. Where is this Apple innovation? :)

I was also a bit underwhelmed. The Samsung facial recognition can be defeated with a photo, and the iris scan can damage your eyesight, so both of these features are non-starters for me.

I’m generally bullish on Apple succeeding with the iPhone X. I gather they’d have preferred having fingerprint tech and face ID, but I really doubt they’re going to re-introduce fingerprint tech on future models now that it’s gone from the top-of-the-line model. The only exception to this is if fingerprint tech has advantages from a legal or security perspective. Even if FaceID doesn’t work perfectly (worst case scenario, I’m sure Apple threw everything they could behind this, and already this is being boasted as the most advance 3D scanner manufactured for the consumer market), it’ll be perfect the next round. By comparison, TouchID was far better then competitors in its first version, but still not quite perfect. TouchID 2.0 is absolutely perfect in my experience and that of most reviewers (there are people that have harder to read fingerprints, so it’s certainly not perfect for 100% of the population).

Apple will rarely be the first with any type of technology. Apple does, for the most part, perfect what’s been out there previously to that point. TouchID is a great example of that. FaceID will also likely be just that. Siri, on the other hand, meh. There are exceptions. A great example of a terrible exception is wireless charging and fast charging. This is the first year iPhone will have fast charging, something pretty much every Android phone has had in the premium category for years.

I absolutely love the iPhone X strategy however. Apple likely would have included OLED earlier could anyone make 200+ million OLED screens. No one can. Literally, no one can.. the most OLED screens made at max production is something like 50 million. We’re not there yet tech wise, it’s impossible to do it at such great volumes at a reasonable price-point. iPhone X, though, will be sold in low enough volumes that they can include OLED and other tech that Samsung and competitors have had for years.

Great concept, love it, I’ll get it. Goodbye home button.

PS I expect the wait times are going to be huge unless one orders it at 3am or has a corporate account with Apple

I’m generally bullish on Apple succeeding with the iPhone X. I gather they’d have preferred having fingerprint tech and face ID, but I really doubt they’re going to re-introduce fingerprint tech on future models now that it’s gone from the top-of-the-line model. The only exception to this is if fingerprint tech has advantages from a legal or security perspective. Even if FaceID doesn’t work perfectly (worst case scenario, I’m sure Apple threw everything they could behind this, and already this is being boasted as the most advance 3D scanner manufactured for the consumer market), it’ll be perfect the next round. By comparison, TouchID was far better then competitors in its first version, but still not quite perfect. TouchID 2.0 is absolutely perfect in my experience and that of most reviewers (there are people that have harder to read fingerprints, so it’s certainly not perfect for 100% of the population).

Apple will rarely be the first with any type of technology. Apple does, for the most part, perfect what’s been out there previously to that point. TouchID is a great example of that. FaceID will also likely be just that. Siri, on the other hand, meh. There are exceptions. A great example of a terrible exception is wireless charging and fast charging. This is the first year iPhone will have fast charging, something pretty much every Android phone has had in the premium category for years.

I absolutely love the iPhone X strategy however. Apple likely would have included OLED earlier could anyone make 200+ million OLED screens. No one can. Literally, no one can.. the most OLED screens made at max production is something like 50 million. We’re not there yet tech wise, it’s impossible to do it at such great volumes at a reasonable price-point. iPhone X, though, will be sold in low enough volumes that they can include OLED and other tech that Samsung and competitors have had for years.

Great concept, love it, I’ll get it. Goodbye home button.

PS I expect the wait times are going to be huge unless one orders it at 3am or has a corporate account with Apple

Great summary. Since you seem quite informed, I'll ask if you or others know how to fix this:

When using voice dictate, often times Siri will accurately transcribe my words. When I'm done speaking the sentence, it will second guess it's transcription, and change all the words to something else, as if the words it originally had were incorrect. Is there a way to disable this "contextual" feature where it tries to "be smart" but ends up messing up?

Great summary. Since you seem quite informed, I'll ask if you or others know how to fix this:

When using voice dictate, often times Siri will accurately transcribe my words. When I'm done speaking the sentence, it will second guess it's transcription, and change all the words to something else, as if the words it originally had were incorrect. Is there a way to disable this "contextual" feature where it tries to "be smart" but ends up messing up?

I hate this as well. I watch the words as they appear when I speak them to confirm they are correct and then send the message when I'm done only to find out Siri changed them after I had already confirmed they were correct. And frequently the word it changes it to makes no sense at all whereas the word that was there originally made sense contextually (since it was what I actually said).

Reactions: oktane
It's amazing how much I don't care what iPhone I have. I looked on the back and it says SE, but no number, so could be 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 for all I know. I usually just upgrade when something fatal happens to my old one.

The SE was a specific model they sold. It was the size of the iPhone 5 and 5s, but had higher specs. It was the budget model when the iPhone 6s was introduced I believe (or maybe the iPhone 7).

I hate this as well. I watch the words as they appear when I speak them to confirm they are correct and then send the message when I'm done only to find out Siri changed them after I had already confirmed they were correct. And frequently the word it changes it to makes no sense at all whereas the word that was there originally made sense contextually (since it was what I actually said).

Yes it drives me crazy and I don't know why it can't be selectively disabled. Just type what I say, not what you think I meant to say!

Not sure, but my understanding is that this is where the system 'learns' so the more effort placed into correcting the transcribed text the better it'll work. I much prefer the way Google hands transcribing

Reactions: oktane
I'm liking the watch with GPS and LTE since that a means I can leave the phone at home and travel light. The phones are unfortunately heavier and thicker now. When is someone going to do an all carbon fiber feather design? I want to be able to slice onions with it turned sideways and use it as a ninja thowing star if needed.... how often are you saying, dammit! where is my thowing star when i need it? quite a market IMHO. Also does anyone else feel like this iPhone is going full on minority report with this last launch?

It's ridiculous that cell service on the watch is going to cost $10/month to add the device to your plan. I only pay $5/month for the Delphi Connect device in my car that is an actual WiFi hotspot.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and alcibiades
It's ridiculous that cell service on the watch is going to cost $10/month to add the device to your plan. I only pay $5/month for the Delphi Connect device in my car that is an actual WiFi hotspot.
Yikes. That's obnoxious.

I'm still leaning toward getting the 8 and sitting out the first version of the X. And I was going to throw the extra $$ toward a new Apple watch, but $10/month just to add the device makes me far less inclined.