Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music Integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i signed into my Apple music in my model 3 once i had installed the layest holiday update and all was great, and as i had heard all my none purchased songs appeared as well. However when i took a closer look all my none purchased songs were greyed out and wouldn't play. This is the first device other than my iphone i have used with Apple Music and i don't use itunes. I checked my phone and all the none purchased items looked fine and would play on my phone so not sure whats wrong. Any body had the same issue yet or any ideas what to do?

Reactions: Espi2451
Hello,
How do you prevent from Apple Music starting playing songs automatically when you enter the car?
Thanks
Before you leave the car put on a different service. I had this happen to me too, and just went back to Tidal. I thought the Apple sound quality was really bad compared to Tidal Hifi.

A problem I have occasionally now is that the stop button doesn't work. It'll flip to the "play" icon but doesn't actually stop playing. Same if I use the steering wheel button.

Upvote 0
Interesting, because I have different experience — I'm trying to figure out how it works/doesn't work :)
I have some 10k+ songs uploaded to iTunes Match or purchased in iTunes Store and I see a following "pattern":
• songs that AM somehow recognised get substituted by versions found in the AM catalog. For example, I have live versions of Audioslave songs that show up the same as in my music library, but AM plays studio versions. The artist name and album name are both greyed out. They are not found in the artist catalog in AM (in Tesla)
• songs that were uploaded to iTunes Match don't work
• songs that were matched by iTunes Match don't work
• purchased songs are a mixed bag. I have a playlist, where a purchased song by Sponge play just fine, but Truly tracks are greyed out...

Which is weird, because I've read that the Tesla app uses the "web version" of AM and everything works fine in the AM web player. Also, the quality in the web player is 256 kbs, while the Tesla app is horrible, worse than Spotify.
My experience is essentially the opposite. I have an Apple Music subscription. I also have vinyl rips I made myself, and added to my Mac's Music Library. After a few minutes, these tracks show up in my Tesla Apple Music library with my own tags, and it's my own "vinyl" version, complete with pops/ticks. My custom artwork is also included on the top/right section of the Tesla interface, but it's just a gray icon in the bottom left card.

This is great (expected?) behavior.

Upvote 0
Music from your iPhone needs to be played with Bluetooth.

Apple music is streamed, not played from your phone.
When using Apple Music, if you play from your “library” I believe that music is played from your phone. With the new Apple Music app in my Model 3, I can play music from my library when my car has no cell signal and is moving (so not on wifi).

One thing I noticed with the new Apple Music app in the car, when I open it the app window takes up the entire right two-thirds of the display and when I pull down on the window (from the bar at the very top of the window) it goes away completely. I can’t get the Apple Music window to show as a narrow band across the bottom of the display like the Bluetooth window always has.

That said, I am very pleased that Tesla has integrated Apple Music into the car.

Upvote 0
Ahh this all answers my question of why some are gray and play. Also Apple Music will start to play a song and skip to the next song. Sometimes this happens two or three times in a row. Another issue is the album art for all my playlists are blank.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 6.47.53 AM copy.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 6.47.53 AM copy.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0