Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple Music Sign-in Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife & I have a shared music account and she can play Apple Music on our Tesla OK, but I get the message to Reload with a note in the bottom left that says Access denied and one at the top that says Loading Error. When I press the displayed Reload buton, nothing happens. Both music accounts are OK on our iPhones.

My Apple Music used to work. I think the problem may have started when I added (QR code, etc.) Apple Music for my wife on her driver profile.

Sometimes when I first start up with my driver profile, I get the QR picture, but it doesn’t work to set up my Apple Music as it initially did.

Same. We use the same apple ID in many places with a Family plan. I assumed we hit a limit of devices, with each profile counting as a device, but I didn't go count.

Maybe just doesn't work that way in the car, only one tesla profile per apple ID? That's dumb.
Should be able to choose one log in for the whole car, or individual per profile, owner's choice.

One apple ID works on literally everything else with the family plan.

Upvote 0
Same. We use the same apple ID in many places with a Family plan. I assumed we hit a limit of devices, with each profile counting as a device, but I didn't go count.

Maybe just doesn't work that way in the car, only one tesla profile per apple ID? That's dumb.
Should be able to choose one log in for the whole car, or individual per profile, owner's choice.

One apple ID works on literally everything else with the family plan.
wait... so both of your phones are signed into the same apple id? doesn't that mess up messages, keychain, etc.?

Upvote 0
wait... so both of your phones are signed into the same apple id? doesn't that mess up messages, keychain, etc.?
Just for Apple Music. Everyone has their own apple ID, but you can sign into a Family music subscription after getting added by the subscription owner.

So wait a sec. I wonder if I sign into Music with my wife's phone on her profile, it might work. I used my phone for both, which now seems like an obvious conflict.

The Fam all got added to the account under their own apple ID on the one device they are signed in under, so maybe different Apple IDs can sign in to different profiles.

Upvote 0
The Fam all got added to the account under their own apple ID on the one device they are signed in under, so maybe different Apple IDs can sign in to different profiles.
yes, this should be how it's done. I don't know if it affects your issue though, but in general, treat the "profile" like a personally owned device. So in your wife's profile, sign in to apple music under her appleid, under your profile sign in under yours. In general you want this anyway to keep playlists, favorites, likes, separate.

EDIT: according to the google, Apple Music has a 10-device limit per AppleID. Not sure if that's relevant to this situation, but it usually manifests in not allowing you to log in.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: OxBrew
Upvote 0
No, we each have a different Apple ID.
Did you log in using your Apple ID in your car and her Apple ID in her car? My wife and I have this setup and it works ok. However, if I try to log into my Apple ID in my profile on her car then my car gets messed up like you originally posted. Something wrong with using the same Apple ID on multiple cars or profiles.
We share the same car, but have different driver profile settings. When I enter the car with my driver profile, I have the problem. If I then switch to my wife's driver profile, all is OK (except the mirror, etc settings are set for her). We have different Apple IDs, but share an Apple Music account.

• Informative
Reactions: OxBrew
Upvote 0
I think the root of the problem is that the Tesla Apple Music app doesn't work when you login into Apple Music with the same Apple ID on different driver profiles. Even if they are different cars. My wife has a Y and both her and I have driver profiles. If I open my driver profile and log into Apple Music with my Apple ID it works. However, if I go into her driver profile and log into Apple Music using my Apple ID it will also work, BUT, if I switch back to my driver profile Apple Music gives an error and I have to log back in again. If I do that, then Apple Music doesn't work on my wifes profile. This exact situation also happens between cars. I have a MS. If I log into Apple Music with my Apple ID in my MS it works. If I log into Apple Music on my wifes MY using my Apple ID it will work but then my MS doesn't work.

Basically, the last login to Apple Music with a particular Apple ID works. Any previous logins in other profiles or vehicles using that same Apple ID won't work until logged in again.

Since I have a family plan and we use separate Apple IDs to log into Apple Music, She can log into Apple Music using her Apple ID on her driver profile and I can log into Apple Music using my Apple ID in my driver profile. This works just fine.

Upvote 0
My wife & I have a shared music account and she can play Apple Music on our Tesla OK, but I get the message to Reload with a note in the bottom left that says Access denied and one at the top that says Loading Error. When I press the displayed Reload buton, nothing happens. Both music accounts are OK on our iPhones.

My Apple Music used to work. I think the problem may have started when I added (QR code, etc.) Apple Music for my wife on her driver profile.

Sometimes when I first start up with my driver profile, I get the QR picture, but it doesn’t work to set up my Apple Music as it initially did.
This is starting to look like a Tesla software issue with Apple Music. I just wanted to add that I have the Tesla Premium Connectivity subscription and software version 2022.44.25. I have also done a Tesla software restart, and that didn't help.
I think the root of the problem is that the Tesla Apple Music app doesn't work when you login into Apple Music with the same Apple ID on different driver profiles. Even if they are different cars. My wife has a Y and both her and I have driver profiles. If I open my driver profile and log into Apple Music with my Apple ID it works. However, if I go into her driver profile and log into Apple Music using my Apple ID it will also work, BUT, if I switch back to my driver profile Apple Music gives an error and I have to log back in again. If I do that, then Apple Music doesn't work on my wifes profile. This exact situation also happens between cars. I have a MS. If I log into Apple Music with my Apple ID in my MS it works. If I log into Apple Music on my wifes MY using my Apple ID it will work but then my MS doesn't work.

Basically, the last login to Apple Music with a particular Apple ID works. Any previous logins in other profiles or vehicles using that same Apple ID won't work until logged in again.

Since I have a family plan and we use separate Apple IDs to log into Apple Music, She can log into Apple Music using her Apple ID on her driver profile and I can log into Apple Music using my Apple ID in my driver profile. This works just fine.
I want to do exactly what you said in the last paragraph, but it doesn't work for me. I have a family plan and we use separate Apple IDs to log into our shared Apple Music account. She can access Apple Music automatically when she enters the car with her driver profile or when I switch from my driver profile to her's. However, I get the noted errors when my driver profile is used. Apple Music with my driver profile used to work. But I think the problem started after I added Apple Music on my wife's driver profile. I added Apple Music to her driver profile just like I originally did with my driver profile (QR picture, etc.).

Upvote 0
This is starting to look like a Tesla software issue with Apple Music. I just wanted to add that I have the Tesla Premium Connectivity subscription and software version 2022.44.25. I have also done a Tesla software restart, and that didn't help.

I want to do exactly what you said in the last paragraph, but it doesn't work for me. I have a family plan and we use separate Apple IDs to log into our shared Apple Music account. She can access Apple Music automatically when she enters the car with her driver profile or when I switch from my driver profile to her's. However, I get the noted errors when my driver profile is used. Apple Music with my driver profile used to work. But I think the problem started after I added Apple Music on my wife's driver profile. I added Apple Music to her driver profile just like I originally did with my driver profile (QR picture, etc.).
Right now, in my wife's Model Y, using her profile, she is logged into our Apple Music using her Apple ID. In my Model S, using my driver profile, I'm logged into our Apple Music using my Apple ID. This is working just fine. I know that if I go into my driver profile on her MY and log into Apple Music using my Apple ID, Apple Music on my Model S will stop working. I don't think I've noticed if her profile is now screwed up because I logged in. I'll have to try that next week when I get back home.

Upvote 0
Right now, in my wife's Model Y, using her profile, she is logged into our Apple Music using her Apple ID. In my Model S, using my driver profile, I'm logged into our Apple Music using my Apple ID. This is working just fine. I know that if I go into my driver profile on her MY and log into Apple Music using my Apple ID, Apple Music on my Model S will stop working. I don't think I've noticed if her profile is now screwed up because I logged in. I'll have to try that next week when I get back home.
I think her profile should be OK. However, if you add a driver profile for her on your Model S and try to use Apple Music, it will ask you to set it up using the QR code, etc. After you do that, Apple Music will work good using her driver profile on your Model S, but it won't work if you switch back to your driver profile (at least it didn't for me). If I'm just going a short distance in our shared Model X, I sometimes just switch to her driver profile so I can listen to Apple Music.

Upvote 0
I think her profile should be OK. However, if you add a driver profile for her on your Model S and try to use Apple Music, it will ask you to set it up using the QR code, etc. After you do that, Apple Music will work good using her driver profile on your Model S, but it won't work if you switch back to your driver profile (at least it didn't for me). If I'm just going a short distance in our shared Model X, I sometimes just switch to her driver profile so I can listen to Apple Music.
That's basically what I've done too. She doesn't drive my Model S but I sometimes driver her Y. I have Apple Music working on her driver profile but I haven't reconfigured it on my profile since it's just going to screw hers up as well as mine on my S. So when I drive her car, we just use Bluetooth, Radio, or nothing.

Upvote 0