Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apple: Rumors of EV to Challenge Tesla or Buying Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the complete screenshot
(IMO Apple will not buy Tesla)

View attachment 74524

That first quote regarding Carplay is amazingly bad. Tim Cook has clearly never used the Tesla center console. CarPlay does nothing to bring automotive technology out of some 20 year time capsule. Automotive companies need current-dated technology to display Apple's apps. Nothing new or exciting. In fact, Car play consolidates 15 year old automotive technology into one neat and tidy app. Apple provides the same turn-by-turn navigation that was widely available in 2000; the same blue tooth hands free connectivity that's been out for years, the same music interface that has been around. It's just bundled in one app. His quote should read: Apple moving the time capsule from 20 years to 15 years and providing a bundled experience.

Apple.JPG

It could be just me parsing words, but I find it telling that TC used the phrase: We do not have a relationship with Tesla (but wish to?). He could have dismissed the rumour in a similar manner BMW dismissed rumours of Tesla tie up. Obviously TC chose not to kill the rumour.

If nothing is there in the rumour, at least TC shows his superior marketing skills by being more evasive and vague, compared to BMW counterparts.

View attachment 74570
It could be just me parsing words, but I find it telling that TC used the phrase: We do not have a relationship with Tesla (but wish to?). He could have dismissed the rumour in a similar manner BMW dismissed rumours of Tesla tie up. Obviously TC chose not to kill the rumour.

If nothing is there in the rumour, at least TC shows his superior marketing skills by being more evasive and vague, compared to BMW counterparts.

I agree. I don't see the benefit to Apple by keeping the rumor alive.

Audie's Addition to keep Apple Angle Alive:

1. Remember that Apple has a tax problem in accessing a lot of its cash stache-cache, in that much of it is overseas and investing in the US normally would create a taxable event. There may be ways in which a purchase of Tesla - OR an investment in Tesla - could be structured so as to avoid this; however, given Apple's notable successes in accessing the credit markets - Apple's bonds command staggeringly low interest rates - I would suggest that the chances are very high that any Tesla investment would be through the bond markets.

2. Regardless of the other implications, pro- and con-, for either company, one thing no one can deny is that an Apple-Tesla product would not encounter this problem: BBC News - Cheap copies on sale via Alibaba site

All Our Patent Are Belong To You | Tesla Motors

The patent study wrong. While Tesla holds many patents, they have expressly made all of the free for use. Apple does not need to buy Tesla to use any of Tesla's patents. And it is questionable whether Apple would be able to bar anyone else from using those patents were they to acquire Tesla.

Apple likes to play patent ownership games, just look at all the fun they've had with Samsung. In this way, Tesla is radically different from Apple. In Musk's words,

Technology leadership is not defined by patents, which history has repeatedly shown to be small protection indeed against a determined competitor, but rather by the ability of a company to attract and motivate the world’s most talented engineers. We believe that applying the open source philosophy to our patents will strengthen rather than diminish Tesla’s position in this regard.

You see, Tesla leads by attracting talent, not by hoarding patents. If you work for Tesla and develop really great technology, it goes with you even if you leave Tesla. If you work for Apple, your employer will own the technology you develop, and you can't take your patented technology with you into a new venture. Is it any wonder Tesla can attract top talent away from Apple? Researchers and engineers who want to retain access to the intellectual property they produce for their entire career will understand what a huge motivator this is. Yes, you can develop an awesome technology working at Tesla, and if you want to run off and make your own startup with it, you are free to do so.

So here's the deal. Suppose you're an enegineer at Tesla, and Apple moves to buy Tesla. Suppose you've got marketable technology. What do you do? Do you wait for your new boss to come in and take possession of your marketable ideas, or do you run? The best talent with the best ideas will have the greatest motive to run. So keep in mind that it is the ability to attract and motivate talent that is at stake here.

Here's my two cents on Apple:

If Apple is very serious about building an electric car, the gigafactory is going to be a very important link in the chain for them to scale their production. There's only going to be so many batteries floating around. Here are my super naive thoughts on where I think we are going with the Tesla and Apple partnership:

- 2015 H2: Tesla announces that Apple has become a major investor in the company - will provide funds for current and any addition GFs around the world (main reason why they don't think they'll need another public offering, in addition to strong profit from S3X
- 2016 H1: Tesla announces that they will begin leveraging Apple stores to sell Tesla and Apple cars (Model S, Model X, Model 3)
- 2016 H2: Apple announces they are building a car - will partner with Tesla for drivetrain and batteries
- 2017 H1: Apple and Tesla will start marketing the living **** out of their cars respectively (Model 3 geared towards the everyday man, Apple car geared towards the more luxuriously minded)
- 2017 H2: The world begins to change as we know it :):):):):)

I'm crazy.