Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for confusion.

I mean:
STO 750cc today (for next week) - which is a naked call now since I don't own any extra shares to sell cc at the moment
BTC 735cc - close this tomorrow instead of roll it now since I am guessing SP would drop tomorrow and I can close it cheaper (or even let it expire if SP <735)

By doing this, 750cc would no longer be a naked call tomorrow.
It can't be a cc and a naked call at the same time.
I think I follow you but you are actually saying you are considering writing a naked call for next week. Saying STO 750cc is frankly, wrong.
After tomorrow if you close or let the 735 cc expire your short call will turn into a covered call but it isn't until that happens.
That's an important distinction and not just semantics.
It means you have to have level 4 option trading approval I believe. Do you?
if not, then it doesn't matter because your brokerage firm won't allow it.

Personally, I only have level 3 approval so I couldn't even do it.
Generally speaking I don't think I would write a naked call even if it was for such a short time.
I'd consider writing a vertical call spread if I had strong conviction that I wanted to sell calls for next week today.

But what is your thoughts on the SP for today, tomorrow and Tuesday?
Do you feel strongly that Friday will have downward pressure on the SP putting your calls OTM and this will continue into Tuesday's opening making selling calls today a significantly higher premium?

I think if I felt that way I would do a vertical call spread for next week and watch the SP closely tomorrow in order to close them out if needed.

Last edited:
I'd write whatever stand alone trades I wanted to if I had the capital or margin but for me rolling out 10 points higher strike for next week gives me at the very least an opportunity to get paid $1+ to get called away 10 points higher than now.
This dynamic is exactly the same way I think about cc.

More specifically once I arrive at that mental state where I'll have my shares called away, then I start asking myself if I'd rather be called away in the current position or the position I can roll to. I personally will mostly be in favor of another week of $1 credit plus a $10 better called away price. That sounds pretty awesome in fact.

It starts sounding a lot less awesome when it's a $1 credit and wait a week with no strike improvement.

Still watching some 740cc aging down. These are around 40% profit right now but they're varying between 60 and 20% and time is working pretty hard for me right now, so I'm still letting them go. I'll watch the shares today but I'm thinking it'll be tomorrow or at least late today before I move out to 9/10 with a new cc position.

On the put side I've been out of the market all week. The positions I closed on Monday would be north of 90% by now if I'd waited, but no regrets or second thoughts there. I closed early for >60% and was ready to reenter immediately. That opportunity didn't arise - it happens - and I decided to get into new BPS today rather than waiting for tomorrow, entering 630/710s and 640/720s. The latter is in my aggressive account while the others are less so. With IV getting to be so low I'm starting to think again about 2 week options. These puts were chosen as I still consider 700 to be strong support and these are close enough that I'm confident I can roll back down should the need arise.

I was considering doing something much more aggressive - like 730p or 740p as I think we'll be up that much next week. And then I reminded myself that this is for income and asked whether such a position would be consistent with income. I dialed it back :)

Still watching some 740cc aging down. These are around 40% profit right now but they're varying between 60 and 20% and time is working pretty hard for me right now, so I'm still letting them go. I'll watch the shares today but I'm thinking it'll be tomorrow or at least late today before I move out to 9/10 with a new cc position.

On the put side I've been out of the market all week. The positions I closed on Monday would be north of 90% by now if I'd waited, but no regrets or second thoughts there. I closed early for >60% and was ready to reenter immediately. That opportunity didn't arise - it happens - and I decided to get into new BPS today rather than waiting for tomorrow, entering 630/710s and 640/720s. The latter is in my aggressive account while the others are less so. With IV getting to be so low I'm starting to think again about 2 week options. These puts were chosen as I still consider 700 to be strong support and these are close enough that I'm confident I can roll back down should the need arise.

I was considering doing something much more aggressive - like 730p or 740p as I think we'll be up that much next week. And then I reminded myself that this is for income and asked whether such a position would be consistent with income. I dialed it back :)
You might also notice that my spread size shrunk this week. I chose the $80 spread size as something I'm comfortable with (really important) as well as I see this as providing effective management (should the need arise) down to 670 or 680.

Thinking about it in these terms I could probably have gone down to $60 spread size (with a corresponding increase in the number of contracts). That would still allow effective management down to 680 and 690, both below the strong support level I see. In fact the $60 spread size would have been especially appropriate for the aggressive account for a 660/720 spread. I'll be thinking in those terms for the next one of these.

IV is getting depressingly low.

interesting. I went somewhat similar but more conservative.
Initially I had planned to write BPS Friday but I'm thinking it being the beginning of a 3 day Holiday weekend liquidity will be down and executions worse.
I STO 600/695 as my main trade for 9/10 and a smaller more aggressive ( for me) 610/710 as well.

Now we're playing "who are the real oracles this week?" Is it gonna be the 730'ers or the 740'ers?
Just got out of my 9/3 cc's $740 for 78% profit. Tomorrow I'll most certainly be rolling the $720's and $730's Friday and most likely next Friday as well. These are both under a bit water at the moment...

Hopefully the triple witching 9/17 huge $700 call wall holds!

Almost back down to 730. Quite the beat down this afternoon - wonder if it will bounce off that for long?

1630606213580.png

+1 to that. This is the most exciting options time I can remember in a while.

I just don't see how that wall will fall, but whoever is holding those will put up a fight, maybe they sell a bunch of puts at $710?

As a newbie in this game, I'd be very interested in how you would position yourself for that event? That 700 call wall seems practically impenetrable. Is it as simple as selling cc as close as comfortable to 710?

Maybe Max pain just updated 3:01PM and it shows 660
Max pain only updates once a day at 7am EST.
The $660 has not changed since I posted my thoughts on the subject of the triple witching yesterday.

Take a peek.

Took my 740cc for this week off the table at ~70% profit. I see no reason to stretch into tomorrow for any of the remaining 1.60, and will be looking to open 9/10s tomorrow.

I might even go crazy and add on some call spreads to go with the put spreads I have open right now, legging my way into an IC. The call premiums are so small relative to put spreads that I'm more likely to continue watch from sidelines as far as call spreads go.