Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have issues with IBKR this morning? I missed the boat on juicy BPS profits because the web based platform continues to error.
No issues for me, although I only trade on TWS.

I've sold about 2/3 of my allocation for this week and will wait till tomorrow before I add any more. I was a little early on most waiting an hour after open when it should have been 1:10. Current IC's CC and BCS are:

1Oct IC 725/750 820/850 @$4.00
1Oct BCS 830/860 @ $1.25
1Oct 840CC @$1.25

Sold BPS this morning 720-640 for 5.41, waited and then sold 5 700-650 for 3.10 and another 5 700-650 for 2.10. I may sell some tighter 750-740 BPS after the market settles, but am concerned about macro issues. I also bought March 2022 500 calls for 290 to replace my 765 and 770 calls last week. I had 4 options called and bought 6 calls. I was trying to buy stock back too, but put in a limit trying to pick the bottom. I am pretty sure I will not sell calls this week, the premium is too low and the risks too high. Macros could crush us still, with 10 year rates hitting 1.5% and the GOP shutting the govt down. Most people aren't impacted by a govt shutdown, until they are. Social security checks and if we get to default status, debt costs could be impacted, permanently impacting the cost of debt.
Issues outside of max pain and market makers, and I don't think max pain is in charge the next few weeks.
HODL:
  • P&D due this weekend and news of smashing records is already out there.
  • Shanghai possibly producing over 2000 cars a day.
  • Austin & Berlin appear ready to start building pilot vehicles for the Oct 7 stockholder & Oct 9th gigafest.
Hedge:
  • Govt shutdown
  • Interest rates are going up

Based on the channel it's a great time to sell calls, but this time feels different with so many catalysts coming up. I ended up just selling a bunch of safe put spreads for this week since the premium is still decent with the high IV (720/710). Bought a 785/800 call spread too for funsies
1632757333852.png

Good question... part of me would be happy just getting the 800 shares back.... and I do think I'd at least wait for any run through next Friday anticipating delivery #s before I do anything... but I remain bullish on the stock esp with 2 more factories going to production soonish... so I'm sort of temped by the suggestion from....

Throwing both of these into an options calculator it seems both beat "just convert back to 800 shares" just after Jan P&D numbers if SP is >~835.... the Mar options beat it by more with each dollar after by a bit with 35 vs 32 contracts... though the June would let me hold through 22Q1 P&D..... which would be good or bad depending on how well/fast Austin/Berlin are ramping...
Soo... getting those shares back?
Dec 17 600s are $210 or so right now.

TSLA is up 20$ .. and my portfolio is only up 14% .. must .. do ... moooore .. leverage!!

:cool:

I am thinking of taking some chips off the table, but i struggle how ..
I have a 8/10 700c position that is up >30% now with 0.87δ... either sell & wait for reversal tomorrow.. or sell ~800 CC against for another 10% gain. The CC can backfire if the stock drops (as the drop in the 700c is way more pronounced than the CC offsets).

I fear that we fall ~20$ tomorrow for some MM to get their stuff in order. On the other hand i fear missing out on the BIG GAINS i waited for since Feb ..

What would you do?

No issues for me, although I only trade on TWS.

I've sold about 2/3 of my allocation for this week and will wait till tomorrow before I add any more. I was a little early on most waiting an hour after open when it should have been 1:10. Current IC's CC and BCS are:

1Oct IC 725/750 820/850 @$4.00
1Oct BCS 830/860 @ $1.25
1Oct 840CC @$1.25

I only use TWS. And this had no issues at all.

The UX of TWS is shockingly hard to use, coming from the web based UX. Do you recommend using the IBKR tutorials or are there 3rd party tutorials you learned better from?

Soo... getting those shares back?
Dec 17 600s are $210 or so right now.

Heh, yup.... I could convert back to about 850 shares presently (net gain of 50 from what I began with, though net value gain of a couple hundred k)

Original plan was to wait till Friday anticipating climb this week heading into P&D reveal... seems like that's still a decent idea, but what's that thing about pigs getting slaughtered?

i learned as i always learn. Open TWS & start doing.
No manual, no nothing.

Only on complicated things i did a bit of research (conditional orders for example).
You're a brave soul. In the OptionTrader while putting a multi-leg (BPS) together the lack of maintenance margin impact insight boggles my mind. Do you have a formula for calculating manually that you use?

Reactions: InTheShadows
You're a brave soul. In the OptionTrader while putting a multi-leg (BPS) together the lack of maintenance margin impact insight boggles my mind. Do you have a formula for calculating manually that you use?
I do a rough calculation in my head.
Margin-needs is roughly a probability-based expectation on the max-loss.

i.e. i have 10x 750/670 Bull Put - max-loss 80k. Margin reqs. 62k. But if know if things get hairy i can either roll (for credit & less margin) or turn it i.e. into a 750/700 bull put for "little" money, but gain 24k of my margin back (& limiting max-loss to 50k).

And their algorithm is batshit stupid. Sometimes i need 10x MORE margin if i REDUCE the risk. Last week i could do 10x CC for -16k margin or so. When i changed that to 5x CC i would have NEEDED 200k more margin-buffer. Doing no trade = 0 margin impact & staying compliant.

But well.. there are NO alternatives here...