Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are any of the new V4’s in North America CCS1 compatible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So to be clear. There is no adapter involved. It’s just a Supercharger stall with a CCS cable.
Correct. No adapter. Only the Magic Dock does not need to be redesigned for each of 2 different cables.

So what’s with the name magic dock? What’s magic about it?
It's magic to Tesla. Less cost. One single cable holder can hold 2 different types of cables no matter which one the site dictates.
It’s just a place to hang the cable…right?
Correct! It's just a cable holder. That's it!

That isn't how MagicDock works. My understanding is that there is one cable with the NACS connector, and that goes into a dock that has an adapter to CCS. You can only unlock the CCS adapter from the stall by activating it via the app to charge a non-Tesla.

They may only install the MagicDock on 50% of the stalls.
And now I’m back to being confused.

Will they also have longer cables to deal with charge port locations?

• Helpful
Reactions: Baumisch
That isn't how MagicDock works. My understanding is that there is one cable with the NACS connector, and that goes into a dock that has an adapter to CCS. You can only unlock the CCS adapter from the stall by activating it via the app to charge a non-Tesla.

They may only install the MagicDock on 50% of the stalls.
I am sure that you are correct but that is not what are presented by the pictures.

There's no pictures showing that the Magic Dock has both CCS and the Tesla connector at the same time. You need two different pictures or 2 different connections.

I am sure that you are correct but that is not what are presented by the pictures.

There's no pictures showing that the Magic Dock has both CCS and the Tesla connector at the same time. You need two different pictures or 2 different connections.
I don't know if those pictures are even of a MagicDock stall. But if it was the adapter would be inside the dock in the corner. You wouldn't be able to see it.

And now I’m back to being confused....

I don't know if those pictures are even of a MagicDock stall. But if it was the adapter would be inside the dock in the corner. You wouldn't be able to see it.

That's fair. Those tweets may not be "Magic Dock." So we will hold off on the name "Magic Dock" until confirmed by pictures.

In the meantime, in Europe, when Tesla was transitioning, it provided one signle dock that holds 2 different cables so only one single picture would cover it:

screen-shot-2022-07-24-at-10-00-03-am-jpg.832308

Next question. The tech spec of V3’s don’t meet the NEVI standards. If tesla is going to get fed money for this from what I understand this can only be used with V4’s. ???????

Lots of contradicting confusing stuff yet.

Tesla wants to get into the business of CCS because of government subsidies. NEVI standards are:

"Each NEVI-funded DC fast charge station will have a minimum of four 150 kW combined Charging System (CCS) connectors and total station power of 600 kW. "

So, V2 150kW should get Tesla the government money.

Tesla wants to get into the business of CCS because of government subsidies. NEVI standards are:

"Each NEVI-funded DC fast charge station will have a minimum of four 150 kW combined Charging System (CCS) connectors and total station power of 600 kW. "

So, V2 150kW should get Tesla the government money.
It requires 150kW to all 4 stalls at the same time, neither V2 or V3 can do that.

And in Oregon it requires 3) 150kW and 1) 350kW stalls.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
It requires 150kW to all 4 stalls at the same time, neither V2 or V3 can do that...

I don't see why V2 can't provide 150 kW to 4 different stalls simultaneously. The V2 technology can be used, but the pairing needs to be blocked. That means 1 charger per stall instead of 1 charger for 2 stalls.

V3 doesn't need pairing so its 250 kW is dedicated to each stall and not reduced in pairing like in V2.

Another tweet confirms how the Magic Dock works:

The Magic Dock can accommodate the existing cable:

Fm-GUhgX0AEu_42

Or if Tesla wants, it can also accommodate CCS cable:

Fm-GUheXkAAcdqa

As discussed before, the interchangeability is for Tesla, not for an average driver.

For example, if Tesla decides to increase the CCS from 50% to 100%, it can use the same dock, but only need to replace it with the CCS cable.

The reverse is true: If there's a conflict, Tesla could convert the site from 50% CCS to 100% Tesla by switching the cable and leave the dock alone.
This is not correct. It says right in the tweet:
see second image for what has shown previously which reflects Euro CCS2 handle

You can see the second picture is simply how the CCS2-only V3 chargers look:
robert-llewellyn-v3-tesla.jpg

Tesla ramps up first V3 supercharger installations for Europe

The first picture was what was supposed to depict the magic dock.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and MP3Mike
It will be interesting to see if and how this makes it to Mexico and Canada as obviously this NEVI money doesn’t go to those countries.

Canada currently deals with it by contracting Tesla to install CCS/Chademo stations at Tesla Superchargers. The stations get turned over to FLO when completed. The ration is always 3 to 1. So 12 supercharger and 4 FLO chargers. But I’m thinking this magic doc approach would be cheaper for the government. This is super common in Canada.

877796C9-FC31-4B1E-A365-FE07FAD44DFB.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and APotatoGod