Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are any of the new V4’s in North America CCS1 compatible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So re plans of Tesla opening the supercharger network to other brands. I believe there are now two V4 superchargers in the US. (Canada and Mexico seem to be only installing V3’s yet). Are either of the two new V4 superchargers CCS compatible. (I believe one is in Yuma Arizona and the other one in California). There seems to be an information vacuum on this.

Cheers.

So re plans of Tesla opening the supercharger network to other brands. I believe there are now two V4 superchargers in the US. (Canada and Mexico seem to be only installing V3’s yet). Are either of the two new V4 superchargers CCS compatible. (I believe one is in Yuma Arizona and the other one in California). There seems to be an information vacuum on this.

Cheers.
It doesn’t matter old or new versions, Tesla only planned but hasn't opened them up for CCS yet.

Tesla hasn't announced any plans on industry-standard CCS Plug-and-Charge either.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
It doesn’t matter old or new versions, Tesla only planned but hasn't opened them up for CCS yet.

Tesla hasn't announced any plans on industry-standard CCS Plug-and-Charge either.
I think it does matter though. Apparently the V4’s have some sort of pre-prep that allows the addition of CCS1. The V1 V2 and V3’s apparently are a much bigger job to enable any kind of CCS capability.

Then again. I am definitely not an expert on this stuff.

Anyway. Thanks for your response. There is a huge vacuum of info on what Tesla’s plans are here. I wonder if someone will bring it up on the earnings call.

Cheers.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I think it does matter though. Apparently the V4’s have some sort of pre-prep that allows the addition of CCS1. The V1 V2 and V3’s apparently are a much bigger job to enable any kind of CCS capability...
In an earning call, Musk talked about an adapter and owner may just tell the app which stall to charge.

It's just a hassle to manually assign which stall you are using even though when it's not CCS plug-and-charge compatible in older Superchargers.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
...two sites...
4 sites are being built with Magic Dock. It's an interchangeable cable end for Tesla to fit a specific plug, in this case CCS for 1/2 of the total stalls.

This interchangeability is for Tesla and not for an average driver.

• Informative
4 sites are being built with Magic Dock. It's an interchangeable cable end for Tesla to fit a specific plug, in this case CCS for 1/2 of the total stalls.

Yah I had read this before at one time. I’m just curious if there has been any actual construction which I can’t seem to find on plugshare.

But thanks for the link.

You are the only one I have heard talk about V4s under construction or built. I may missed the news myself, but unless you have some inside info, I think the reason you haven't heard anything is because they don't exist yet.
Ah ok. And yes I am parroting someone else’s post so you may be right. Maybe none have or are being built in which case I’ll be happily eating crow.

Now I’m really curious. 😊

Reactions: henderrj
Ah ok. And yes I am parroting someone else’s post so you may be right. Maybe none have or are being built in which case I’ll be happily eating crow.

Now I’m really curious. 😊
This thread is confusing because actually, there is no need to upgrade to V4 to charge a CCS.

Current V4 are for Tesla Semi and the upcoming Cybertruck.

• Informative
This thread is confusing because actually, there is no need to upgrade to V4 to charge a CCS.

Yah. Again, probably my misunderstanding. I was under the impression that V4’s would have a separate connector for CCS so non Tesla vehicles could charge. I’m sure I got it wrong.

Thanks for the great link though. I learned a bit today.

Tesla accidentally and briefly revealed the future CCS compatibility in the existing site of Target in Hawthorne, CA:

There's no sign of CCS on that site in reality. It's just a website programming accident.
Still. The gears are turning. I’m still deciding wether that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

Thanks for the info.

More bad information. Tesla only talked about V4 cables, they didn't say anything about the chargers at that event.

I checked out the URL you referenced. It in turn included its own references section, which noted only one source:
This is the same site that appears to be the one and only original public source for information about the Magic Dock, and their language isn't quite 100% firm:
Most notably, one of the conditions for a successful grant involved a minimum of 50% of connectors being CCS standard. This means Tesla will probably be adding a CCS adapter at every stall, a project we have previously reported on called the Magic Dock, since currently there are only Tesla-standard plugs on Superchargers in North America.
Note the wiggle room provided by the word "probably"; Drive Tesla Canada is taking two sources of information and combining them to draw their own conclusion, which in turn was reported with a bit less uncertainty by Notebook Check. This is a game of "Telephone" in reporting.

Personally, I tend to believe that the conclusion that Magic Dock is real and is close to deployment is probably correct; but there's enough uncertainty in my own mind that this uncertainty must be acknowledged. It could be that this will go down in some other way.

Another tweet confirms how the Magic Dock works:

The Magic Dock can accommodate the existing cable:

Fm-GUhgX0AEu_42

Or if Tesla wants, it can also accommodate CCS cable:

Fm-GUheXkAAcdqa

As discussed before, the interchangeability is for Tesla, not for an average driver.

For example, if Tesla decides to increase the CCS from 50% to 100%, it can use the same dock, but only need to replace it with the CCS cable.

The reverse is true: If there's a conflict, Tesla could convert the site from 50% CCS to 100% Tesla by switching the cable and leave the dock alone.

• Informative
I still don’t understand how it works. Until I see an animation I don’t think I’ll understand. I don’t see a second cable. It just looks like another place to hang the connector.

Yes I’m a little thick sometime.😱
Correct. One cable at a time.

4 sites are planned to be CCS compatible up to 50% of the stalls.

But all stalls will use the same stall design called Magic Dock instead of installing 2 different kinds of stalls.

Each stall can have 1 single cable.

Each cable has only 1 head.

So if there are 100 stalls, they all have the same Magic Dock stalls.

50 of them can only work with CCS.

50 of them can only work with Tesla.

If you want to change those numbers, you need to get Tesla to get city permits to send electricians to switch the cables but the same stall don't have to be changed.

But all stalls will use the same stall design called Magic Dock instead of installing 2 different kinds of stalls.

If you want to change those numbers, you need to get Tesla to get city permits to send electricians to switch the cables but the same stall don't have to be changed.
That isn't how MagicDock works. My understanding is that there is one cable with the NACS connector, and that goes into a dock that has an adapter to CCS. You can only unlock the CCS adapter from the stall by activating it via the app to charge a non-Tesla.

They may only install the MagicDock on 50% of the stalls.

So to be clear. There is no adapter involved. It’s just a Supercharger stall with a CCS cable.

So what’s with the name magic dock? What’s magic about it? It’s just a place to hang the cable…right?