Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are black cars unpopular?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We went for a black M3P with the full intention of wrapping it. However, we liked the black so much with the white interior that we had clear PPF (and 'Halo' ceramic) instead. We felt this was necessary as the black paint was rather poor and also soft. It was washed and pampered yesterday and looks lovely, much nicer than the paint range which seems, to me at least, to have been inspired by Austin Allegro colours from the 70's.

Just my opinion but black, particularly when clean, looks superb.

it’s not that black or white is good or bad, but that the other colours are so bland they don’t seem worth the extra wait or the extra cash. If they did something with the understated sparkle of an Audi Navarra blue, or the visual zing of a Porsche Viper green, then perhaps I would reconsider, but the colour choices look to have come straight out of Austin Rovers 1986 Montego brochure...

Kind of this for me.

It makes no sense to me that a company selling these cars at the forefront of technology would think it best to have all of its colour options out of the short list of just "the most popular colours among American car buyers". Sure, major on conservative options but one or two carefully chosen colour options that had a bit of interest about them would surely have attracted many tesla buyers.

We went for blue with white seats, so the bit of interest was inside, and I like it, but I'd probably have gone for a more interesting paint colour had there been a couple available. All 5 of Tesla's colour options are, if you ask me, ultra Conservative choices.

Kind of this for me.

It makes no sense to me that a company selling these cars at the forefront of technology would think it best to have all of its colour options out of the short list of just "the most popular colours among American car buyers". Sure, major on conservative options but one or two carefully chosen colour options that had a bit of interest about them would surely have attracted many tesla buyers.

We went for blue with white seats, so the bit of interest was inside, and I like it, but I'd probably have gone for a more interesting paint colour had there been a couple available. All 5 of Tesla's colour options are, if you ask me, ultra Conservative choices.
I guess its progress to some degree. The last time there was a car maker this disruptive you could have the cars in any colour you liked so long as it was black. This time around you have 5 options !

We went for a black M3P with the full intention of wrapping it. However, we liked the black so much with the white interior that we had clear PPF (and 'Halo' ceramic) instead. We felt this was necessary as the black paint was rather poor and also soft. It was washed and pampered yesterday and looks lovely, much nicer than the paint range which seems, to me at least, to have been inspired by Austin Allegro colours from the 70's..
That's harsh. As a veteran of that era, even if only as a child, I feel you are making light of the pain that we suffered. I don't remember a lot of bold metallic colours in the Alegro range. pale greens, browns and beiges are what comes to mind, both inside and out

That's harsh. As a veteran of that era, even if only as a child, I feel you are making light of the pain that we suffered. I don't remember a lot of bold metallic colours in the Alegro range. pale greens, browns and beiges are what comes to mind, both inside and out
We inherited a baby poo brown one from my grandad with a square steering wheel. We were grateful for anything at the time but we took some stick. You're right about the colours and maybe I was a bit harsh - probably more like my dad's Austin Maxi options :)

My first car was a blue clio 1.2.
My second was a blue bmw 2.0.
I was going for black because the missus said change the colour, but then I read up how difficult it was to keep a black car clean.
The result?
A blue performance model 3, hoping to land before xmas.

noticed inventory M3s in black not shifting too quickly.
In my opinion black and white cars should be the free colours .
I can’t believe I paid £1500 for pearl white on my model S and black was free.
Now pearl white is free and black is £1000 .
White was added cost on the M3. Now black is added cost. I think what this means is either: 1) black is now more popular than white, or 2) white has fewer service issues than black.

I dithered between the Midnight Silver and Blue but eventually plumped for Blue because (for me) MS is too dark. Coming from a silver Golf I loved that colour as it hid grime pretty well, even if it was a little boring to look at.

Before it was withdrawn and the M3 was still only a bullet point in the Master Plan I was dreaming about a green Tesla, anyone seen it "in the flesh"? How close to British Racing was it? Wasn't there a "Titanium" option at some point as well or am I confusing it with Midnight Silver?

This might be of interest: https://electrek.co/2019/10/08/tesla-paint-color-hold-value-best/