Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are bragging rights worth $15k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me right now between the Model S Plaid and the Model X Plaid, the Model X Plaid is the better value. I just wish they would make a five seat version.
As they are the same price, and you're certainly getting more things on a Plaid X, that's the easy conclusion.

But the X is 600+ lbs heavier and a lumbering beast to hustle quickly. The pedestal back seats are cramped due to how close they're placed to the falcon doors - a big issue that I'm surprised isn't raised more, no shoulder room at the doors. Just put a XL size man back there and he'll let you know. It's the least attractive Tesla to my eye, kind of minivan-ish. And once you're past the honeymoon, the falcon doors are slow and unpredictable to live with. But it's pretty damn cool.

Reactions: Rockstop and Ray_R
@Ray_R, just test drive them both. You'll quickly figure out which you want. The X is a tech tour de force, but it's a big difference in driving it vs. the S (even the regular LR versions). I wish they put some of the tech into the S (hello auto present and close front doors), but even without it, the S is just so awesome to drive. If my kids were younger again, or I needed a 3rd row, the X would have been perfect. But just driving, the S wins every time.

Reactions: Rockstop and Ray_R
I had an X as a loaner for a while and had considered an X Plaid at one point. Hands down I'll take my S Plaid all day long over the X Plaid. If felt like I was driving a Conestoga wagon. I'd take an MYP over the X Plaid TBH. I could care less about the Falcon doors. They wouldn't open all the way where I often park a car.

It felt like I was driving a minivan most of the time. Definitely not for me. The first fast u-turn I did with it told me all I needed to know. Felt like I was driving a 1990's Dodge Caravan until I hit the throttle. It crashed over bumps I didn't notice in my S and even my M3 LR handled the bumps better.

Reactions: Speedr117 and Ray_R
Took my 80 year old father-in-law for a spin, he was impressed with Sport mode then I asked if he wanted to go Plaid, he said ok. Went from a slow roll up to 70, he stated "hadn't felt that in a while", back in the late 60's he flew in the navy and compared it to being launched with a catapult off a carrier deck. Strong stuff. Again, heck yea worth the extra 15k.

No

People aren’t impressed with a Plaid or LR. It’s just a Tesla not a 911.
I don't know man! It does 0-60 in 2 seconds
And after 2 seconds you’re bored and cruising in a Sedan that looks the same since 2012.

There’s a reason people still by Miata’s and it isn’t 0-60.
I don't know man! Every time I hit the pedal I smile.

I have to say the Plaid ticked all my boxes for a great daily driver. YMMV.
  • Superbike performance ✔️➕
  • Carry at least 4 people ✔️➕
  • Easy to maintain ✔️➕
  • No special fuel or tunes required for max performance ✔️➕
  • Not finicky or high strung ✔️➕
  • AWD ✔️
  • Good sound system ✔️
  • Modicum of comfort ✔️
  • Quiet ✔️➕
  • Good brakes ✔️➕ (track pack)
  • Good AC ✔️➕
  • Fun to drive ✔️➕
  • Good tech stack ✔️➕
  • Good range ✔️
I couldn't ask for a better car to drive daily. Few things are more fun; typically, those that are have to be in the appropriate environment, like on a track or canyon roads.

I read this thread having just purchased a 2020 MSP two weeks ago. I think, of course I’d love a Plaid. But since I wasn’t looking to buy new the price delta is a bit larger and my goal was no payments.

But you know I did sit here and think, hmm I can turn in this MSP and get all my money back - thanks Carmax - then turn around a lease a new Plaid.

But alas I slow my roll. This is my first EV and bought way sooner than I thought I would coming from a line of fast and fun ICE vehicles. I think I’d LOVE the insanity of a plaid but I still feel like I’d get plenty of satisfaction “knowing” I’d be ok against 95+ % of those who wanted to challenge you at the stoplight. And let’s be honest. We all know that 5% would be something with a Dodge badge on it lol. I think my MSP is fast enough…for now lol.

As they are the same price, and you're certainly getting more things on a Plaid X, that's the easy conclusion.

But the X is 600+ lbs heavier and a lumbering beast to hustle quickly. The pedestal back seats are cramped due to how close they're placed to the falcon doors - a big issue that I'm surprised isn't raised more, no shoulder room at the doors. Just put a XL size man back there and he'll let you know. It's the least attractive Tesla to my eye, kind of minivan-ish. And once you're past the honeymoon, the falcon doors are slow and unpredictable to live with. But it's pretty damn cool.
Agreed. If you’re getting plaid, S is the way to go. Car looks sooo good from behind. #datass